Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Old Jul 1, 18, 11:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Haven’t posted in awhile but cannot say how much this hotel will always have my business (when the rates are “normal” anyway! £300+ per night is so far from when they first opened!) because of how they are.

Just arrived for my 35th stay here and incredible service. Amazingly both of my last two stays have been upgrades to deluxe suites, which are exquisite!

Gregily in the lounge is amazing as always. That friendly face you look forward to seeing! Here’s hoping the football matches up..
turtlemichael, chrism20 and wizla like this.
Old Jul 15, 18, 1:25 am

Stayed here four nights in June. No upgrade as a diamond member which was a bit disappointing, but I do think the hotel was full. I was able to get early check in around 11:00am so that was nice. Lounge/breakfast were top notch. Location was about a 5 minute walk to the Southwark tube station. Overall a good stay but would look at different areas in London for the next visit.
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Jumeirah Sirius Gold, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Traveller, PUCCI Fan Club
Hilton Tower Bridge to Bankside walking?

Hi,

We have a stay at Bankside in a few weeks, our first stay at this property.

Is there an easy walking route from Tower Bridge along the riverside to this hotel? The hotel website says it’s a ten minute walk but I’m trying to establish if it’s using the riverside route and if it’s straight forward (difficult to get lost)? We won’t have any luggage.

thanks
Old Aug 14, 18, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup View Post
Hi,

We have a stay at Bankside in a few weeks, our first stay at this property.

Is there an easy walking route from Tower Bridge along the riverside to this hotel? The hotel website says it’s a ten minute walk but I’m trying to establish if it’s using the riverside route and if it’s straight forward (difficult to get lost)? We won’t have any luggage.

thanks
If you turn off the riverside path just after tate modern, it's only a couple of minutes walk from there. Google maps would help you as it's not immediately visible from the main road.
oxtailsoup and wizla like this.
Old Aug 15, 18, 11:21 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by delinquentwoody View Post
If you turn off the riverside path just after tate modern, it's only a couple of minutes walk from there. Google maps would help you as it's not immediately visible from the main road.
Good call....I was going to post the same.
Old Aug 28, 18, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Jumeirah Sirius Gold, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Traveller, PUCCI Fan Club
Stayed last Friday and my overall experience was very good. I will definitely stay again.

I'm not sure we received a tangible room upgrade as such. We booked a deluxe king and ended up in a deluxe king, albeit on a higher floor (6). The room was absolutely fine and surprisingly quiet.

The best thing about this hotel are their employees. Everyone we encountered was professional, friendly and helpful.

We we tried the lounge for afternoon tea and pre dinner canapés. The afternoon tea was very good indeed. A nice selection of sandwiches and cakes. The lounge itself is quite nicely furnished too.

Evening canapés were comparable with other London properties. Limited food and self pour drinks. The cheese board was very good... not cold pieces of bland cheese out of a fridge!

We ate breakfast in the main restaurant and that was very good also.

The only issue I had with this hotel was purely a User Error issue... we kept getting lost every time we went for a walk! It was easy to find other landmarks but we always struggled to find our way back to the hotel! Even with google maps.. which kept getting its knickers in a twist.

We we will definitely stay again.
Old Sep 2, 18, 10:26 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum
Another stay here (staying here every few months since opening). Still very happy with hard product and the staff! Some further small cuts:
- the water bottles have disappeared for good from pool area
- free in-room mini bar now only has two bottles of lemonade plus the two free Hilton waters in it
- no more smoothies available in lounge between breakfast and afternoon tea time
- lounge offerings appear near identical day-on-day
- the mini-cake selection has been downgraded - rather than fresh produce it now appears defrosted and a hence more soggy stuff. A lot of sweet and colourful mousses also.

Some rude guests at breakfast with staff, for zero apparent reason other than that their coffees were empty apparently. Sigh. Tough job in service!
Old Sep 2, 18, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer View Post
Another stay here (staying here every few months since opening). Still very happy with hard product and the staff! Some further small cuts:
- the water bottles have disappeared for good from pool area
- free in-room mini bar now only has two bottles of lemonade plus the two free Hilton waters in it
- no more smoothies available in lounge between breakfast and afternoon tea time
- lounge offerings appear near identical day-on-day
- the mini-cake selection has been downgraded - rather than fresh produce it now appears defrosted and a hence more soggy stuff. A lot of sweet and colourful mousses also.

Some rude guests at breakfast with staff, for zero apparent reason other than that their coffees were empty apparently. Sigh. Tough job in service!
Oh that's not good news, what's the alternative poolside? Or is it a case of walking through to the gym in ones wet swimwear to get a drink ..... that's disappointing
Old Sep 2, 18, 5:26 pm

Soggy defrosted cakes. That is a pity. Sounds like a “premium” BA lounge, I guess cardholders will find the catering familiar.
Old Sep 3, 18, 12:42 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum
Originally Posted by wizla View Post
Oh that's not good news, what's the alternative poolside? Or is it a case of walking through to the gym in ones wet swimwear to get a drink ..... that's disappointing
Correct - That appears to be closest source of water available.

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Soggy defrosted cakes. That is a pity. Sounds like a “premium” BA lounge, I guess cardholders will find the catering familiar.
To be fair, the selection and quality is still better than that of the large majority of UK Hilton Exec Lounges. But down from what it used to be (I am a big fan of good bakery, so I may be particularly sensitive to any such changes).
Old Oct 12, 18, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Just finished a two night stay here. Arrived at 12pm, room not ready no prob, left my bags with one of my favourite concierges anywhere John and went out for lunch, in the end I had to wait untill 3pm. Deluxe king booked and that’s what I got. No upgrade available as the hotel is extremely full. They really have become a conference hotel. I think I saw 5 tourists during my stay. The room was very dark, looking into the inner courtyard so I never had any sunshine which made the room very cold.

Afternoon tea was lovely. Delicious crème brulee, cake, mini pavlova, some strawberry mousse thingy and the best cheesecake. Coffee machine has changed since I was last here and coffee not as good anymore imo. Also burned my fingers twice when making a cup of tea as the hot water splashed everywhere.
staff in lounge was all new again, but friendly and helpfull enough. One familiar face, Gergerly who welcomed me back as a long lost friend 😀
Evening drinks basicly the same as months ago, on Wednesday evening hot food was deep fried chicken and samosas ( who were very taste ) and praws on toast and on Thursday deep fried calamari rings and again samosas, cold salmon with cream cheese on toast.
Breakfast was as lovely as ever, one of the chefs who had been here from the very start has left, much to the dissapointment of his collegae. It seemed to be a trend, loads of people I knew from the beginning have left and someone told me they can’t get the staff anymore. When in the beginning they got 70 cv’s for one job they now get 3.
Oh and they stopped giving free drinks and nibbles in the minibar, goodbye Snickers, chocolate and gummy bears. For our health apparently, just mineral water and lemonade from Hackney.
Excellent stay and I wish I could stay here more often but the rates won’t allow that anymore.
next stop Waldorf ( tonight )

Last edited by Winniesbestfriend; Oct 12, 18 at 10:19 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 13, 18, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
A friend tells me they have downgraded the yoghurt in the main breakfast area, from a luxury brand to a standard brand..
Old Oct 14, 18, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Wanderlust888 View Post
A friend tells me they have downgraded the yoghurt in the main breakfast area, from a luxury brand to a standard brand..
That would be a huge shame if they have......that yogurt goes very well with the Bankside granola and the almond milk.......has anyone else noticed that this hotel appears to be changing from a great hotel into a good hotel?....... they slowly seem to be cutting back in every area.
Old Oct 14, 18, 4:00 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Originally Posted by wizla View Post
That would be a huge shame if they have......that yogurt goes very well with the Bankside granola and the almond milk.......has anyone else noticed that this hotel appears to be changing from a great hotel into a good hotel?....... they slowly seem to be cutting back in every area.
I agree, you can tell in every department. And because they stopped giving the free minibar items, they don’t need the room service staff anymore. Empty fridges are cheap. The maid just puts two waters, a lemonade and cola ( Hackney made ) in it .
Old Oct 14, 18, 4:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Last time I was at Bournemouth the yoghurt was also downgraded from loseley to a mueller brand IIRC so wonder if this is the same at Bankside now. Definitely a downgrade though if no longer loseley.

Search this Thread