Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Internet at Hilton properties still unusable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internet at Hilton properties still unusable

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Succinct.

I'm reading from the Docomo WiFi provided by the DoubleTree by Hilton Cairns, and perhaps two or three seconds needed to load a page if it's graphics intensive. Pretty typical Hilton mediocre WiFi. I'm getting Ookla measured 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.
i7-Haswell. Do you think that is the reason? Considering this thread, I think I get it now why Hilton sees no need to invest in access.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I can't recall a single domestic HHonors property that doesn't use AT&T.

I've certainly had my share of difficulty at some properties (Hilton Boston-Woburn). Others are okay but the situation could certainly be better.
W=A Park City. Doesn't use AT&T. Uses CenturyLink. In that area, there are only a few commercial ISP providers.

I based my statements on the hotels I have worked in and being involved in some IT operations over the years. A property I deal with recently went through changing vendors - the process I described is exactly what happened. It isn't just the government that does RFPs… Ask your own company what it's process would be for changing Internet providers instead of thinking it would only take a few weeks and no capital budgeting...
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by slidergirl
W=A Park City. Doesn't use AT&T. Uses CenturyLink. In that area, there are only a few commercial ISP providers.

I based my statements on the hotels I have worked in and being involved in some IT operations over the years. A property I deal with recently went through changing vendors - the process I described is exactly what happened. It isn't just the government that does RFPs… Ask your own company what it's process would be for changing Internet providers instead of thinking it would only take a few weeks and no capital budgeting...
I don't think the actual internet provider has any bearing on the use of AT&T for operation of the wifi network itself. Maybe I'm wrong but I always assumed AT&T was just responsible for that aspect, not the physical connection to the hotel.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Agree with original poster

Hilton Markham Suites, Markham, ON Canada

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3955692307
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Hilton Americas Houston

Currently at Hilton Americas Houston.

Wifi is hosted by AT&T and is certainly usable.

Ping 29 ms
Download 4.01 Mbps
Upload 1.94 Mbps

This is the Diamond complimentary internet. ^

Last edited by controller1; Dec 5, 2014 at 5:06 am
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I guess I've been lucky because minus one stay this year (HGI Monterey, CA) I haven't stayed anywhere in the last couple years with noticeably bad Wifi.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:38 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Well, HGI (more than one from reading threads up here, incl Colonial Heights, VA) has started tier services. Complimentary for Gold/Diamond and $4.95/day for "Premium" service.

I've noticed sites being much slower in the last couple of weeks here when this started.

Speedtest.net
Ping - 59ms
Down - 1.06mbps
Up - 0.50mbps

Speakeasy.net
Down - 0.99 mbps
Up - 0.51 mbps
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:45 pm

Noticed in recent stays in various mid-atlantic properties, tonight included, that complimentary wifi is too slow to support reasonable use of google maps. This is all at properties offering tiered wifi. Haven't tried any streaming of video.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I've stayed at at least 75 Hilton properties over the past five years and the only one in the US that did not use AT&T was the Burlington, VT Hilton..
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: HH D
Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen Netherlands (property not yet infested by the dualbandwithbug), 42down 10 up.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3962230811

(Internet is offered through the iBahn interface, but seems to be provided by Ziggo, a cable co.)

Last edited by Sisosig; Dec 7, 2014 at 1:16 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:45 pm

For those posting their net speeds, use this master thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ults-here.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.