Hilton Mobile (iOS) Site/Captcha

Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Hilton Mobile (iOS) Site/Captcha

Has anyone reported to Hilton that the Captcha code required to login via a mobile phone (notably iOS) is COMPLETELY, TOTALLY UNREADABLE (and a violation of US Section 508 law) ?

On my PC? Three numbers.

iPhone? Two long, incomprehensible words.

What a bunch of imbeciles.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Lots
In the time it took you to post this, you could've just hit the refresh arrow and gotten a new captcha.

PS: reCaptcha is a service provided by Google. No one at Hilton being imbecilic.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: Yes please
Originally Posted by Axey
In the time it took you to post this, you could've just hit the refresh arrow and gotten a new captcha.

PS: reCaptcha is a service provided by Google. No one at Hilton being imbecilic.
So Hilton have no responsibility for their web site & apps? Whoever it is it seems pretty imbicilic to me. Happily the Android app lacks this nonsense.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
And the new on might well have been even less legible than its predecessor, so where does that take us ?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hilton is a federal agency???

Originally Posted by lindros2
...(and a violation of US Section 508 law)?
Look, I agree this renders the mobile app essentially useless, but don't quote US law without a little research:

Section508 Laws

In 1998, Congress amended the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to require Federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology (EIT) accessible to people with disabilities. Inaccessible technology interferes with an ability to obtain and use information quickly and easily. Section 508 was enacted to eliminate barriers in information technology, open new opportunities for people with disabilities, and encourage development of technologies that will help achieve these goals. The law applies to all Federal agencies when they develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and information technology. Under Section 508 (29 U.S.C. 794 d), agencies must give disabled employees and members of the public access to information that is comparable to access available to others. It is recommended that you review the laws and regulations listed below to further your understanding about Section 508 and how you can support implementation.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: HH D
Instead of using the mobile website, you could install the iOS Hilton App. This still only needs your hh# + PIN.

Last edited by Sisosig; Nov 27, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
I have been trying to use the Conrad concierge app to order different amenities etc, but the new captcha has blocked it every time. The iPhone app size of the image is really too small and doesn't allow zooming, I have even tried taking a picture with another device to zoom in but to no avail.

Then decided the iPad version should let me zoom and log in to see my reservations and order them this way...same result! Very frustrated.

I am a fan of new technologies and the apps in general, and don't mind the security aspect they are trying to achieve with the images to stop automatic logins but the iOS versions of the Conrad concierge are useless to me now until some fix comes up.

Can anyone log in to Conrad app (not just the app but the reservations screen)? Starting to think it is broken with the captcha addition?

Please Hilton sort this out.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:55 am

unfortunately, for we luddites...

Originally Posted by Sisosig
Instead of using the mobile website, you could install the iOS Hilton App. This still only needs your hh# + PIN.
The current iOS app may fix this, but it requires iOS 7 which isn't available on my 3GS. The older Hilton and HHonors fail at login. Presumably something in the new iOS app tells the web site that Captcha isn't needed, but the old apps don't get this right. So, the ONLY route available to me is Safari and the full web site.

Not, however, a big incentive for me to upgrade my iPhone (though there are other, more urgent reasons...)
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Same thing on android.. I tried 10+ times and could not get it right and my wife had same issue. I then loaded desktop site and received both number and letters that were completely legible.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Portolan
Look, I agree this renders the mobile app essentially useless, but don't quote US law without a little research:

Section508 Laws
Sorry bro - I work with large organizations re: Section 508/ADA (and WCAG 2.0) compliance.

This is out of compliance.

More than your copy/paste research, I've actually helped dozens of organizations - including a top-10 US bank - with compliance. One was finding and replacing all ALT tags to be either "meaningful" or "non-null" values. If there are spaces - but not nulls - it's out of compliance.

Did your "research" get that? And the dozens of other things?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
And the new on might well have been even less legible than its predecessor, so where does that take us ?
Which it was - I refreshed dozens of times.

Funny - the COMPUTER (PC/Mac browser) only has three numbers. That's easy.

The mobile version? The complex, unreadable thing above.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poser
Same thing on android.. I tried 10+ times and could not get it right and my wife had same issue. I then loaded desktop site and received both number and letters that were completely legible.
+1

This is a failure in Hilton testing/QA, IMHO.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by lindros2
Sorry bro - I work with large organizations re: Section 508/ADA (and WCAG 2.0) compliance.

This is out of compliance.

More than your copy/paste research, I've actually helped dozens of organizations - including a top-10 US bank - with compliance. One was finding and replacing all ALT tags to be either "meaningful" or "non-null" values. If there are spaces - but not nulls - it's out of compliance.

Did your "research" get that? And the dozens of other things?
Nope...I stand corrected.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poser
Thank you for confirming multiple platforms. I wasn't able to do this...
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:18 pm

Dude... i'm not the original poster, but I tried I kid you not at least 40 captchas if not more, in order to cancel a reservation an hour before the cancellation penalty, i failed completely on iOS... it's ridiculous... I ended up having to call up HHonors customer service to cancel it. Ridiculous. I bet they make the captcha harder for cancellations!! My gosh...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.