Search

Cancellation Guidelines Update

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:42 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Bonehead

Reservations made prior to 1/1/2015 can still be canceled based on the current guidelines, right? I just made all my reservations through June, and the "fare rules" all stipulated either 4pm or 6pm day-of-arrival.
Hi there,

Reservations made prior to 1/1/2015 (for stays after Jan. 1, 2015) will be subject to the cancellation policy in place at time of booking.

Cheers,
Erin
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:28 am
In Memoriam

I did write to Diamond desk and received a boiler plate response...."we are constantly evaluating our brands.... bla bla bla"

Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
What a bunch of hooey.

"We’re making this change so that we can provide you with a more consistent booking process and make more rooms available for when you need last minute travel accommodations."

This sounds like DL's restrictions on award ticket changes within 72 hrs of departure time, that were supposed to make more award seats available but didn't.

Someone has an airline SNAFU and can't get to the destination city. There's a good chance that a frequent Hilton customer is going to be spending that night in some other Hilton... and the original hotel will be doing the best they can to double their income by reselling the already paid for room.

Or, the offended would-be guest thinks, "If I am paying for it anyway, I'm not about to cancel the reservation. Let it go empty." And, the policy does not make any more rooms available.

This policy only makes sense if you believe that a lot of people are cancelling travel plans days sooner, but not contacting the hotel to cancel until the day of. Hard to believe that this is an endemic problem.

This is just a blatant attempt to take advantage of disadvantaged travelers.

The airlines are getting away with a lot of foolishness because they can control capacity by trimming flight frequency or substituting smaller aircraft.

Hilton: how are you going to substitute smaller hotels?
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:53 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
What a bunch of hooey.

They have genuinely jumped the shark with this move... Honestly I don't even know that my mind would change now that I know who is running the ship; idiots who are completely out of touch with the way they earn money; business travelers who book their own hotels.

It is mind boggling to me to think after all of the surveys, Hilton actually thinks they can get away with this.

If we had marketing people in our company that were this inept, we would be broke!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Starwood joins the party.

Nowhere to run to, baby, nowhere to hide...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

So now I am a total free agent.

Any ideas on where to switch loyalty with same day cancellation?

And

Not have to pay for regular internet?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

This smells like a case for antitrust authorities. Seems like the big hotel companies might have made some anti-competitive agreements with each other here.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:36 am
cjd

Strange. I just booked a "Park and Fly" rate at Heathrow Hilton and cancellation is allowed up till 4pm on the day of arrival, whereas the "Easy Cancellation" rate requires cancellation 1 day prior to arrival.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I never faced this issue until just now, right after the new rules took effect: I went to book a room for the next day, realizing after hitting ENTER that I'd made it for the same day (this was before 4pm). Hotel was nice about fixing it, but still kind of a pain to have to call to explain.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by cjd
Strange. I just booked a "Park and Fly" rate at Heathrow Hilton and cancellation is allowed up till 4pm on the day of arrival, whereas the "Easy Cancellation" rate requires cancellation 1 day prior to arrival.
Yep same here mate, booked hampton Liverpool park and fly can cancel up to 6 pm on the day????.....strange....good, but strange
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

I'm collecting and sharing your comments daily, and my team and I will be discussing your feedback during our next regularly scheduled call.

Thanks!
Erin
Any feedback from your call?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:13 pm

Could not cancel

I booked the Homewood suites in Manhattan couple weeks ago, for this Saturday, and the cancellation policy was stated as "cancel 24 hours in advance", which is rather ambiguous than to say 1201am on day of arrival. So this evening, I am trying to cancel and I get:

The cancellation deadline for this reservation has expired. The reservation was not cancelled prior to the cancellation deadline and may be subject to a no-show charge. For assistance, call +1-212-244-0644 or visit Customer care.

Not to mention all the sign in problems with the capcha. Hilton seems to be doing everything they can to drive off business.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by mstan
I booked the Homewood suites in Manhattan couple weeks ago, for this Saturday, and the cancellation policy was stated as "cancel 24 hours in advance", which is rather ambiguous than to say 1201am on day of arrival. So this evening, I am trying to cancel and I get:

The cancellation deadline for this reservation has expired. The reservation was not cancelled prior to the cancellation deadline and may be subject to a no-show charge. For assistance, call +1-212-244-0644 or visit Customer care.

Not to mention all the sign in problems with the capcha. Hilton seems to be doing everything they can to drive off business.
Yes this was my concern......check my thread " UK HILTONS CANCELATION DEADLINE "
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mstan
One person stated such cancellation ambiguity did not exist. But clearly it does and did. This is why a system-wide 6pm on the day before the reservation is so much better. Such ambiguity is customer unfriendly. 1-day before what? Before check-in? Before sunrise? Before sunset?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
One person stated such cancellation ambiguity did not exist. But clearly it does and did. This is why a system-wide 6pm on the day before the reservation is so much better. Such ambiguity is customer unfriendly. 1-day before what? Before check-in? Before sunrise? Before sunset?
It is intentionally ambiguous. On reservation confirmation pages now, you have to hunt for the cancellation terms, and they are intentionally fuzzier. IIRC they say "one day before" or "one day in advance" with no regard for time zones, etc.

Hilton seems to be playing chess against its customers and I think this is absolutely a ploy to capture "lost" reservation money from distressed travelers. I expect this sort of nonsense from the cartel airlines, but it's surprising to see it from a hotel group that has plenty of competition from Priceline, Hotwire, Booking.com, etc., etc.

In situations where I am flying into a city late in the day, and my plans could be disrupted (especially now that it's winter), I do not book Hilton any longer. The Hotel Tonight app, or Priceline, are new best friends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.