Cancellation Guidelines Update

Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Hiltons always could, I've seen worse cancellation policies.
So Hilton's new policy is a) worse than Marriott's new policy and b) worse than Hilton's old policy, but c) not as bad as the worst policy in existence.

Hooray.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:06 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

I'm collecting and sharing your comments daily, and my team and I will be discussing your feedback during our next regularly scheduled call.

Thanks!
Erin
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Why must it be either 6 pm or the previous midnight?

What's wrong with 10 am or noon?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beltway
So Hilton's new policy is a) worse than Marriott's new policy.
How many Marriotts do you think are going to proactively change their individual hotel's cancellation policy to be different? That's basically what you're hanging your hat on if you think Marriott's going to be "better"- that a lot of hotels won't default to the new corporate policy. Seems like a pretty slim reed to lean on if you ask me, especially since you'll have to check this for EVERY Marriott you book.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
My company does not allow us to even book rooms that can't be cancelled within 24 hours. I just let our booking agency know that everyone will need to see about switching hotels. We have some crazy rules. For hotels: No pre-pay, must be able to change at no cost, and must be within a certain distance from the area where we work.
I am sure they have actuaries who figure this all out. I will still be diamond through 2015. It will give me a chance to try out other properties. I'm thinking SPG. Ave others had experience with them. I know they are not everywhere, but their change policies are a lot better.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by Esltroy
My company does not allow us to even book rooms that can't be cancelled within 24 hours. I just let our booking agency know that everyone will need to see about switching hotels. We have some crazy rules. For hotels: No pre-pay, must be able to change at no cost, and must be within a certain distance from the area where we work.
I am sure they have actuaries who figure this all out. I will still be diamond through 2015. It will give me a chance to try out other properties. I'm thinking SPG. Ave others had experience with them. I know they are not everywhere, but their change policies are a lot better.
This is our policy as well. Been a Diamond with Hilton for years, but I doubt I'll be able to maintain it with their new rules.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
How many Marriotts do you think are going to proactively change their individual hotel's cancellation policy to be different? That's basically what you're hanging your hat on if you think Marriott's going to be "better"- that a lot of hotels won't default to the new corporate policy. Seems like a pretty slim reed to lean on if you ask me, especially since you'll have to check this for EVERY Marriott you book.
It is a pretty weak defense of a straight-up dilution of the Hilton value prop to argue that Hilton's principal competitor is just as bad. That's how the airline oligarchy rolls when it does anti-customer things. The hotel business is a little more multilateral though. They're not all going to conspire against the customer in lockstep.

In olden days I wasn't so worried about landing or driving somewhere with no reservation made, and taking pot luck. Age and loyalty programs have conditioned me to make plans, but I can go back to olden ways. In fact with apps like Hotel Tonight it's easier and less risky now.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: HH D
For about four weeks a year I travel around in the US in a rental car. Years ago I used to stay at low end hotels, but I upgraded to low cost weekend stays in Hiltons. This year for the first time ever I spent all 28 nights in Hilton Family Hotels, some of them on reward stays, others on rates between $100 and $250.

It has always been a very relaxing thought: if my car breaks down or something else happens, I can always cancel until 4 or 6 PM. Which luckily never happened. Starting 2015 this feeling will be gone, at least if I book a Hilton family hotel. I'll have to make it to the hotel, or they will penalize me. That's not a very relaxing holiday feeling.

Only once I had to cancel a hotel, at home in Europe, because halfway to the hotel, my one year old car broke down. It was on a prepaid rate. I sent them documentation afterwards: repair shop bill + other hotel bill, but still was charged. No problem, because I had booked at a rate that could not be cancelled or changed. However: I've never stayed again at that Hilton hotel until today. So what did they gain? One night.

Last edited by Sisosig; Nov 14, 2014 at 3:51 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
It is a pretty weak defense of a straight-up dilution of the Hilton value prop to argue that Hilton's principal competitor is just as bad.
Who says I'm defending it? It's obviously monkey-see, monkey-do, though, so I don't see why TweedleHilton is much better than TweedleMarriott. Hilton and Marriott are the two with giant footprints in the USA and obviously are direct competitors (SPG and Hyatt just don't have the reach they do), so I would think this makes other chains more attractive. Good time to find out about IHG or let Tom Bodett leave the light on for you? Time to spread the wealth around rather than put eggs into one basket?

Originally Posted by BearX220
Age and loyalty programs have conditioned me to make plans, but I can go back to olden ways. In fact with apps like Hotel Tonight it's easier and less risky now.
Also a good approach, I would think.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:46 pm

Without comment:

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually, my understanding of Marriott's change is not a "corporate policy", but a change in the default cancellation policy for rates. IOW, a specific hotel is more than free to change the cancellation policy back to 6pm day of arrival, but they would have to make an effort to do that for each rate plan they have.

Based on the OP, it sounds like Hilton's change is a bit more strongly worded such that hotels can't go less than the new standard, but they could be more restrictive (i.e. earlier cancellation policy.)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
honestly, I don't care. Makes zero difference IMO. Won't change my travel patterns either way.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Without comment:
In other words, exactly what I said- unless a Mariott proactively changes their policy, it defaults to what Hilton's doing.

Hey, enjoy your loyalty. I'm sure all Marriott hotels are going to totally do this.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:36 am
Suspended

I just checked all my regular ihg hotels and they all have 6 pm day before arrival cancellation policy for their best flexible rate. Freaking Bartlesville OK had this. I am guessing they are doing the same for IHG but w/o warning. God knows they are surreptitiously devious.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toooldtostayoutlate
I just checked all my regular ihg hotels and they all have 6 pm day before arrival cancellation policy for their best flexible rate. Freaking Bartlesville OK had this. I am guessing they are doing the same for IHG but w/o warning. God knows they are surreptitiously devious.
Stands to reason.

Hello hotels.com/Hotel Tonight.

Congratulations, hospitality industry, you "win". Did this guy design your loyalty program?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Deleted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.