FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Cancellation Guidelines Update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1627445-cancellation-guidelines-update.html)

beltway Nov 13, 14 5:56 am

Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman (Post 23831959)
IMHO this means that Hilton will have to decrease the price of the Easy cancellation rates.

After all, we pay for the option of being able to cancel at the last moment if necessary and these rates are no longer very (practically) flexible.

More likely, this:

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23827965)
Translation: "We suggest you book other chains if you are flying in, since you would be on the hook for the room if your plane gets cancelled. We plan to offer rooms in a few months with 'enhanced' rates that let you cancel by 6pm on the date of the stay.":rolleyes:

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 23832466)
You do realize Marriott has the exact same policy, like I posted upthread, right?

My understanding is that Marriott's policy is a standard, not a floor. If so, Hilton's policy is both different and much, much worse, since properties can impose even earlier cxl deadlines.

Originally Posted by NiceLanding (Post 23830977)
I'm thoroughly confused about who this policy is supposed to be helping. In the past, any hotel that wanted to set a one-day cancellation policy was free to do so, and many did. Now Hilton is limiting a property's ability to react to the local market conditions with a more lenient cancellation policy. More restrictions can't be good for the hotel and don't seem to be good for the guests either, so what's the point?

My guess: Jeff Smisek is now running Hilton, too.
:rolleyes:

ILovetheReds Nov 13, 14 7:19 am

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 23835354)
More likely, this:

My understanding is that Marriott's policy is a standard, not a floor. If so, Hilton's policy is both different and much, much worse, since properties can impose even earlier cxl deadlines.

My guess: Jeff Smisek is now running Hilton, too.
:rolleyes:

Hilton's policy is much worse.

Maybe a fair solution would be for diamonds to be allowed to cancel by 7 or 8 hotel time xx number of times a year as an added benefit providing they provide flight info to prove the flight was cancelled (I wouldn't even have a problem providing the flight number at time of reservation so someone couldn't make up a flight number they see cancelled to get out of the reservation but it could cause problems since most diamonds are also frequent flyers and would do SDC and could be on a different flight).

My guess was Richard Anderson is running Hilton now also:) To be fair to Hilton, unlike the Airline reps, they didn't try to twist this into an enhancement that we requested.

BearX220 Nov 13, 14 7:54 am

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds (Post 23835649)
To be fair to Hilton, unlike the Airline reps, they didn't try to twist this into an enhancement that we requested.

Ah... guess again:

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative (Post 23818820)
We’re making this change so that we can provide you with a more consistent booking process and make more rooms available for when you need last minute travel accommodations.

That's right out of the airlines' "enhancements" / doublespeak playbook.

ILovetheReds Nov 13, 14 8:25 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 23835810)
Ah... guess again:

That's right out of the airlines' "enhancements" / doublespeak playbook.

Good point. Ironic thing is this new "enhancement" that they claim will make more rooms available for last minute bookings is probably going to have the opposite effect.

The only time I have had to cancel a room same day is due to my flight having an IROPs situation and if I can't make it into that city 90 percent of the time it's due to weather and the airport being closed (if it's MX I can normally be put on another flight or interlined on another airline).

In the past, I would call as soon as the flight was cancelled and that room would open in the hotels inventory and they could probably sell it for a higher last minute rate.

If the bad weather is in the city I am flying into it means there are a lot of stranded passengers who are probably willing to pay rack rate for a room as opposed to sleeping in the airport. If all the hotels start enforcing this policy then I am not going to cancel the reservation and whilst they will be getting that night paid for from me, there is a very good chance it will be a much lower corporate rate than they could have sold the room for at rack rate to a stranded passenger. Everyone loses-I lose out on that night, Hilton loses out on a higher room rate and a passenger willing to pay rack rate gets stranded.

Football Fan Nov 13, 14 8:42 am

I bet some corporate rates of major customers will not be affected by this. Large corporates should just threaten to take their business elsewhere otherwise.

BearX220 Nov 13, 14 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds (Post 23835963)
The only time I have had to cancel a room same day is due to my flight having an IROPs situation and if I can't make it into that city 90 percent of the time it's due to weather and the airport being closed...

If all the hotels start enforcing this policy then I am not going to cancel the reservation and whilst they will be getting that night paid for from me, there is a very good chance it will be a much lower corporate rate than they could have sold the room for at rack rate to a stranded passenger.

That is a great point, and straight out of the Book of Unintended Consequences.

I pre-book an airport hotel for < $100 well in advance. My flights go south and I can't get in -- because of weather at that airport. Hilton clings to my $100 and counts my room as sold, and is thereby unable to take in customers willing to pay > $200.

I go away unhappy and vow to work Hotel Tonight, Priceline, etc. in future so Hilton doesn't get any more of my money without providing anything in return except heartburn. Other customers unaccommodated by Hilton go away unhappy too, and probably stay with competitors.

Erin, write this down.

Tizzette Nov 13, 14 9:38 am

I hope people will at least try to call in and try to get a same day cancellation without penalty. It will help other stranded stranded passengers who need a last minute room.

msg53 Nov 13, 14 10:13 am

New Hilton cancellation January 1, 2015

First strike is Hilton has no LIFETIME membership. If no other hotel enforces new cancellation program like Hilton, you should see some erosion of Hilton members going somewhere else.

Like AA not following suit like UAL and Delta for revenue in 2015.

NiceLanding Nov 13, 14 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette (Post 23836349)
I hope people will at least try to call in and try to get a same day cancellation without penalty. It will help other stranded stranded passengers who need a last minute room.

I've had to cancel late a number of times because of a travel disruption (usually same day for rooms that required 24-hour notice). Although it's always required some time on the phone with the Diamond desk, which is a bit of a hassle compared to online cancellation, I've never been charged. Assuming such cooperation continues, this will simply be an additional annoyance for me and an extra cost in agent time for Hilton. Relative to non-elite members, I guess this is another Diamond enhancement? ;)

hhoope01 Nov 13, 14 11:25 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 23836236)
Hilton clings to my $100 and counts my room as sold, and is thereby unable to take in customers willing to pay > $200.

Actually, don't they oversell rooms? I would bet the hotel would be betting you won't make it. They will book the for $200+ person AND still charge you for the $100. And if you should actually show up, then they would just try to walk you. :eek:

ILovetheReds Nov 13, 14 11:59 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 23836910)
Actually, don't they oversell rooms? I would bet the hotel would be betting you won't make it. They will book the for $200+ person AND still charge you for the $100. And if you should actually show up, then they would just try to walk you. :eek:

Well they have to pay a diamond $200 cash plus the room at the hotel walked to (which would be rack rate) and transportation to the new hotel.

BearX220 Nov 13, 14 12:10 pm

Reading these last few posts made me go back and take a second look at Erin's rather tepid rationale for this "enhancement":

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative (Post 23818820)
We’re making this change so that we can... make more rooms available for when you need last minute travel accommodations.

Now wait a minute. How can that possibly be the effect? When you prohibit day-of-stay cancellations you don't free up more inventory, you lock more bookings in. Not too many people who lose money to Hilton this way are going to ring in, as a further benificient gesture, and cancel.

So on reflection I think the change actually makes real, on-paper same-day availability worse, and forces properties to play the oversell / balancing game alluded to above, with even less visibility than before re: who's going to actually show up.

This is not about "making more rooms available." It's about selling the same room twice and getting away with it.

I don't think the proffered "upside" here is even a tiny bit real. But, Erin, feel free to come back at me.

ILovetheReds Nov 13, 14 12:14 pm

Erin,

Another thing Hilton should keep in mind with this new policy is that when I call to do a same day cancel it's always because my flight is in an irops situation. If I am flying home it means I need a place to stay that night. If I am flying out, an irops flight usually means they put you on a very early flight the next morning, and seeing I live a good half hour drive away from MSP when the road conditions are good, I book a room at MSP to avoid driving in bad weather and because I am so tired I want all the sleep I can get.

When I call to cancel a reservation, I always try to rebook a hotel for that night with that same chain (and it is usually a lot higher rate than the room I cancelled). If I know Hilton is going to charge my anyway, I'm certainly not going to waste my time calling so they can sell the room for a rack rate, and I will be online using priceline for my current nights room since I will only be in it for a few hours and can use the wifi and get free breakfast at the Skyclub at the airport.

Tizzette Nov 13, 14 12:42 pm

It will be interesting to follow up after the change is implemented whether people who've tried to cancel same day due to flight interruptions are mostly successful or mostly not.

eponymous_coward Nov 13, 14 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 23835354)
More likely, this:My understanding is that Marriott's policy is a standard, not a floor. If so, Hilton's policy is both different and much, much worse, since properties can impose even earlier cxl deadlines.

Hiltons always could, I've seen worse cancellation policies.