FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Cancellation Guidelines Update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1627445-cancellation-guidelines-update.html)

craz Nov 11, 14 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek (Post 23824781)
I actually think this is a good thing. Now, everyone will know the precise time that they will have to cancel their reservation by to avoid a penalty. This will clear up the confusion as to when a person can cancel by, which often exists. Currently, some hotels say one day before check-in. Is this 4pm the day before or midnight the day before? Many people have posted on FT complaining about the ambiguity. They have asked for clarity and Hilton has provided it.

:confused: It has always been there in black & white for me under the Cancellation Policy area, at worst all it meant was figuring out when it said CX by Day of 4pm hotel time what time that would be wherever I would be, eg for London 4pm = 11am NY time or 8am LA time but pretty much it was very clear when I had to CX it.

Now the new policy wont change anything as I will have to still figure out what 11:59pm hotel time is time wise wherever I will be. So for London thats 6:59pm day before for NY or 3:59pm if Im in LA

If anything it helps out the hotels who may have not wanted to CX a res due to irrops but didnt want to look bad when a person called up an hour or 2 after the deadline. And now they can say sorry you had to have CXed the res the latest last night and you didnt thusly we will charge you as a no-show if you dont make it and they wont look as the bad party.

musing Nov 11, 14 8:33 am

I actually think this is a good thing. Now, everyone will know the precise time that they will have to cancel their reservation by to avoid a penalty. This will clear up the confusion as to when a person can cancel by, which often exists. Currently, some hotels say one day before check-in. Is this 4pm the day before or midnight the day before? Many people have posted on FT complaining about the ambiguity. They have asked for clarity and Hilton has provided it.

This doesn't change any of the ambiguity because this is the minimum new cancellation time. Hotels are still free to have more restrictive policies, resulting in the potential for the same ambiguity which will have to be interpreted.

adambrock Nov 11, 14 1:01 pm

Just wanted to add that I'm disappointed by the change. I've had to cancel day of several times because of air travel mishaps completely out of my control.

I hope there will be some allowance for exceptions and leniency for diamond members.

Hilton Honors Ambassador Nov 11, 14 3:55 pm

Hi all,

I understand your concerns about issues that are out of your control when traveling. These situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the property where the reservation has been made.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Erin

sleasure Nov 11, 14 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative (Post 23827723)
Hi all,

I understand your concerns about issues that are out of your control when traveling. These situations will be handled on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the property where the reservation has been made.

Thanks,
Erin

Thanks, Erin. What I'm reading from everyone here is that we don't want to (and may not tolerate) hoping that someone will make an exception for us. Especially for the most loyal, frequent Hilton guests, this policy is not what we expect from a customer service standpoint. Not sure how the Hilton team could fix a policy that isn't customer-friendly. Too bad that so many in the hospitality field seem to have forgotten that hospitality is part of the business. Looks like another fee/service charge that Hilton is comfortable that guests will absorb.

Tizzette Nov 11, 14 4:26 pm

I like to make back up reservations at an airport hotel when the chances are pretty good that weather delays will cause an overnight. I like to price shop and not have to worry whether any rooms will be left. I've had to use the back up reservation but I've also same day cancelled. If this Hilton change does result in more rooms being available last minute, maybe it won't be so necessary to book a backup but what's going to happen to the price? I expect the price will go up for last minute bookings when weather cancellations escalate demand. So, win/win for Hilton, lose/lose for me.

toomanybooks Nov 11, 14 4:46 pm

With cut after cut after cut after cut to the HH program, I'm at the point where I'll just Priceline/Hotwire a 3.5* or higher when I travel and be done with it.

Why try for Diamond any more? To get an extra 5 HH points per dollar, worth perhaps 2-3%, plus maybe a crappy Exec lounge? No suites, no lifetime, no promos worth anything, 6-figure per night redemptions?

I'll save the $50-200 and just buy dinner/drinks.

Doc Savage Nov 11, 14 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative (Post 23818820)
Hi all,

I wanted to share a quick update with you. We are updating our reservation cancellation guidelines to a minimum of 11:59 p.m. local hotel time the day prior to arrival, and you will be required to provide a credit card at the time of booking.

These changes will go into effect on January 1, 2015. As always, cancellation policies may still vary depending on the rate or dates of your reservation, and some hotels have more restrictive policies in place, so please refer to your individual confirmations to verify their policy.

We’re making this change so that we can provide you with a more consistent booking process and make more rooms available for when you need last minute travel accommodations.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out within this thread or through PM and I will do my best to share updates with you all.

Thanks!
Erin

Translation: "We suggest you book other chains if you are flying in, since you would be on the hook for the room if your plane gets cancelled. We plan to offer rooms in a few months with 'enhanced' rates that let you cancel by 6pm on the date of the stay.":rolleyes:

3Cforme Nov 11, 14 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ (Post 23821374)
Glad to see the FT tradition of harumphing off to greener pastures is alive and well in this thread. :rolleyes:

Hotel stays are different from choice of airline. A hub captive with a diversified set of destinations really has to go out of his way (literally as well as figuratively) to use a different carrier consistently, ignoring the high value of frequency and non-stops. Yet I can move probably 80% of my stays from Hilton to Starwood, and absolutely 100% of Hilton stays to Marriott, based on footprint and brand price structures. Hilton offers nothing substantial that isn't matched by Marriott, everywhere I go.

I'm not a single-issue buyer but this step plainly reduces Hilton's value proposition for me.

sleasure Nov 11, 14 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 23827920)
With cut after cut after cut after cut to the HH program, I'm at the point where I'll just Priceline/Hotwire a 3.5* or higher when I travel and be done with it.

Why try for Diamond any more? To get an extra 5 HH points per dollar, worth perhaps 2-3%, plus maybe a crappy Exec lounge? No suites, no lifetime, no promos worth anything, 6-figure per night redemptions?

I'll save the $50-200 and just buy dinner/drinks.

This is a great point. I haven't used these third party sites in years as I've been focused on earning points and status. But, given that the programs continue to dilute value to the participants, I could likely save enough to negate the loss of points. Maybe I should rethink my strategy...

craz Nov 11, 14 6:35 pm

Hi all,

Thanks,
Erin

Sorry Erin but this is all nonsense to me.

Till now most properties when you called within a reasonable time after the CX period the hotel usually had no problems letting us off the hook, especially when we are willing to give them the flight info that they themselves can check and see its been CXed or delayed . Now it wont be say an hour or 2 after the CX hour but closer to 20hrs = less likely to hear anything but Im so sorry theres nothing I/we can do since its way over the CX deadline.

Hilton made its bed and if it doesnt reverse things it will have to slept in it.

Bottom line for me as others up thread have said either I will do a PL res for my 1st night (or more) and save the $$ that way if I end up as a no-show it will cost alot less then making the res thru the website. Since benefits are next to nothing nowadays especially with the joke being called being Upgraded same exact room just on a higher floor and with more and more chains giving Everyone staying free WiFi, the only thing that makes sense is to PL my hotels.Hilton & Marriott have proven just as Delta and UnUnited that they expect Loyalty to be 1 sided from the consumer to them but not vice versa

eponymous_coward Nov 11, 14 8:14 pm

Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide...

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com...w-policy-says/

beckoa Nov 12, 14 12:05 am

Originally Posted by manneca (Post 23819195)
This is not good news. I agree with the flexibility of being able to cancel day of in case of things going wrong with airlines, etc.

I will often choose a hotel with a 4 pm or 6 pm cancellation policy over those with an earlier cancellation deadline.

Completely agree.

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative (Post 23819533)
Hi there,

Your reservations will be subject to the cancellation policy in place at time of booking!

Well thankfully I booked one earlier. Had this announcement come first, I probably would be booking elsewhere.

pragakhan Nov 12, 14 8:30 am

Terrible idea. This only benefits the property, not the customer.

BearX220 Nov 12, 14 8:56 am

Originally Posted by LongingForORD (Post 23822806)
...how many of you have called a Hilton property after getting delayed due to Irrop (weather, MX, ect..) after the 4 or 6pm cut off and did NOT have them cancel or re-schedule for you?

A few times. Always because of flying trouble. In one case, at a Hampton Inn in New Hampshire, the hotel told me to go fry ice but an HHonors rep intervened and I wasn't charged. The point here is not to beg for special treatment after 600p local. It's Hilton keeping your money even if you know 12+ hours earlier that you won't make it.

This will clear up the confusion as to when a person can cancel by, which often exists.

No, it doesn't. Each property's cancellation policy is shown on the reservation page and I avoid the onerous ones (one day prior, etc.)

Oh, good, more ambiguity. So the new policy is a policy except when it's not a policy? That is worse than no policy at all. What makes more sense now is...

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 23827920)
I'm at the point where I'll just Priceline/Hotwire a 3.5* or higher when I travel and be done with it... I'll save the $50-200 and just buy dinner/drinks.

Exactly. Clear-cut rules and lower risk to the customer.

Originally Posted by sleasure (Post 23828299)
This is a great point. I haven't used these third party sites in years as I've been focused on earning points and status. But, given that the programs continue to dilute value to the participants, I could likely save enough to negate the loss of points. Maybe I should rethink my strategy...

I recommend it.