FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Cancellation Guidelines Update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1627445-cancellation-guidelines-update.html)

steppie Nov 10, 14 2:04 pm

No more Hilton for me.......!

sleasure Nov 10, 14 2:10 pm

Add another HH Diamond to the list of dissatisfied Hilton customers. :td:

I understand that there are frequent travelers who have placeholder bookings, etc., but there are more of us who are truly fit the road warrior profile, especially the Diamond folks. As an example, my plans for today just changed and I will end up 500 miles from where I thought I would. This didn't happen for any reason other than business needs. I probably only cancel a reservation quarterly or so, but this policy would definitely impact where I stay.

I'll be well over 200 nights BIB this year in total. There is a reason that Hilton gets only a percentage of my business. This just adds on - and may end up being the final reason that I needed to quit bothering Hilton brands. I like to feel appreciated as a customer, rather than penalized for not following the business' policies. Way to win loyal customers, Hilton!

tryathlete Nov 10, 14 2:13 pm

Dear Erin,

You can count my last reservation as a farewell. I've been Gold now for a few years, and never book elsewhere, but with this change, we are no longer partners.

United Airlines provides me with Marriott Rewards Gold status as part of my benefits as a 1K frequent flier (actually they provide this to gold status members). That's where all my stays are going to be scheduled effective immediately. Too bad because I've enjoyed the value of HHonors for the last several years.

As a frequent flier who is in hotels every week, and whose itineraries can change at the drop of a hat, I have free same day changes to my flights. I cannot imagine Hilton thinking this change through properly and coming to the conclusion that customers, particularly loyal customers, will simply absorb this increase in cost.

Rescind, and I'll be back, but do it fast.

ILovetheReds Nov 10, 14 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 23818870)
Thanks for the heads up.

That's an unfortunate decision, though, since in the event of potential misconnects and other airline-related problems, it was nice to be able to do a backup reservation at a hotel that had a 6pm same-day cancellation.

I hope management might consider an exception for Diamond folks, anyway.

+1. In the past if I had a flight have an irops situation I would simply call the property or diamond desk and they would cancel the reservation with no penalty or allow me to arrive a day late with no penalty (sometimes I had to provide the flight number but that was fine). Is Hilton going to continue to allow this diamond unwritten benefit?

If a flight cancels it is out of our control and if it's due to weather in the city the property is in, chances are the hotel could also use the room for people stranded in that city so it was a win/win situation. If I am going to be charged for the room and my flight cancels due to bad weather I'm certainly not going to call Hilton to cancel so they can sell it and collect twice.

Very bad move on Hilton's part. Or at least exempt Diamond's fro mthis change.

tryathlete Nov 10, 14 2:21 pm

Now I see Marriott has the same policy. Hyatt? Time to look outside for a partner who can handle my schedule variations.

N965VJ Nov 10, 14 2:27 pm

Glad to see the FT tradition of harumphing off to greener pastures is alive and well in this thread. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 23818870)
I hope management might consider an exception for Diamond folks, anyway.

Doesn't seem like that's likely, but I would really like the Diamond Desk to retain the ability to cancel reservations without penalty. This year I've only had to do it once, for the stupid reason of forgetting to cancel when my plans changed. Something was preventing them from being able to do it, but they figured out a workaround in the system on the fly. ^

Originally Posted by Rebob (Post 23820922)
Anyone know offhand which chains do not have this archaic policy?

I'm also a Marriott Plat, and see same day cancellation on some properties, but not all. Last year I booked a stay at a Vacations property with a two day prior policy. I felt like I was living dangerously. :D

If you need the big footprint of Hilton, and Marriott does not have enough flexibility for you, I guess IHG would be the next place to look. Just a guess though; I've not stayed in a IHG property in years.

craz Nov 10, 14 3:19 pm

[QUOTE=N965VJ;23821374]

I'm also a Marriott Plat, and see same day cancellation on some properties, but not all. Last year I booked a stay at a Vacations property with a two day prior policy. I felt like I was living dangerously. :D
[QUOTE]

A vacation prop (time-share) or a resort has always had CXs that werent day of. Ive had plenty of MR reses that by the time I landed back in the US and misconnected it was past the CX day of cutoff, yet either calling the hotel or the Plat desk was all I had to do res was CXed w/o any penalty, most times they didnt even want my PNR or flight info, they accepted it as fact. IMO Hilton wont be like this, and if I dont CX by 11:59pm the night before they will charge me, maybe not but Im not gonna chance it as others have said time to use up any remaining pts and hit the road.

3Cforme Nov 10, 14 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rebob (Post 23820922)
Anyone know offhand which chains do not have this archaic policy?

That question serves to highlight the issue. We have enjoyed cancellation policies set by the property (and specific rate code, sometimes). Now Hilton (and Marriott, I hear) has implemented a ceiling that is much less generous.

AFAIK, there is no corporate Starwood policy on cancellation deadlines. (They can vary quite a bit from business locations to resorts. Some Starwoods do impose an idiotic early departure fee, so it's not heaven.)

LongingForORD Nov 10, 14 7:34 pm

I just want to ask, (so don't scream at me) how many of you have called a Hilton property after getting delayed due to Irrop (weather, MX, ect..) after the 4 or 6pm cut off and did NOT have them cancel or re-schedule for you?

I have only had to cancel after the cancel time a couple of times in +25 years of travel and the hotel has always been accommodating (either canceled or re-scheduled).

I would also be interested in Hilton's stand on Irrop situations. (ie: you supply the flight #'s, ect..)

Arthurrs Nov 10, 14 8:32 pm

It's unfortunate that Hilton is copying Marriott with this policy. Seems like some Hilton properties already require a 24 hour (or longer) notice for cancellation, and those few where I needed to change my reservation *after* the deadline has passed (even ones past the 6 pm deadline) have been accommodating to this diamond member, and if not, the diamond desk figured something out for me. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I'm holding on to my diamond status. It would be a really nice gesture if HHonors would make an exception to this rule a benefit for their most loyal customers.

threedjmay Nov 10, 14 9:08 pm

Not a good idea Hilton. I'm okay if certain hotels want to enforce it because if the limited availability or a special event I don't see a problem with that, but a hard and fast rule makes me want to book elsewhere.

hhoope01 Nov 10, 14 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 23821766)
AFAIK, there is no corporate Starwood policy on cancellation deadlines.

Actually, my understanding of Marriott's change is not a "corporate policy", but a change in the default cancellation policy for rates. IOW, a specific hotel is more than free to change the cancellation policy back to 6pm day of arrival, but they would have to make an effort to do that for each rate plan they have.

Based on the OP, it sounds like Hilton's change is a bit more strongly worded such that hotels can't go less than the new standard, but they could be more restrictive (i.e. earlier cancellation policy.)

craz Nov 10, 14 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by LongingForORD (Post 23822806)
I just want to ask, (so don't scream at me) how many of you have called a Hilton property after getting delayed due to Irrop (weather, MX, ect..) after the 4 or 6pm cut off and did NOT have them cancel or re-schedule for you?

I have only had to cancel after the cancel time a couple of times in +25 years of travel and the hotel has always been accommodating (either canceled or re-scheduled).

I would also be interested in Hilton's stand on Irrop situations. (ie: you supply the flight #'s, ect..)

Hotels usually would work with you when it was past the CX time period if it was Day Of.

A better question would be how many people were able to get out of their res due to irrops when the CX was before 'Day Of' to CX. Basically Hilton Corp just made all their reses CX period to be 1 day before @ 11:59pm, Id imagine many hotels wont be as nice as they have been when it was day of and many times 4 or 6pm at that. Its now 18 hrs earlier

Esltroy Nov 11, 14 2:56 am

I was on the fence about staying with Hilton...

This announcement pushed me over the edge. Although I am diamond with Hilton, I have always been a little wish-washy about the brand. The hotels are just ok. Having diamond status does not mean all that much. A few free waters, an occasional upgrade to a bigger room, and sometimes an executive lounge. Not that great of a perk. I am a delta flyer and get automatic status with SPG. I am working on my 2015 travel today. I was bouncing back and forth with where I would stay in Maui in January. It looks like the Sheraton wins.

I will vote with my feet and pillow.

I will also send a note to the HHonors.

Aloha means hello and goodbye. In this case it just means goodbye.

ChinaShrek Nov 11, 14 7:09 am

I actually think this is a good thing. Now, everyone will know the precise time that they will have to cancel their reservation by to avoid a penalty. This will clear up the confusion as to when a person can cancel by, which often exists. Currently, some hotels say one day before check-in. Is this 4pm the day before or midnight the day before? Many people have posted on FT complaining about the ambiguity. They have asked for clarity and Hilton has provided it.