Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation Guidelines Update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I understand why they want the earlier cancellation: it makes it easier to re-sell the room, and apparently they believe that some people whose plans changed well in advance just didn't bother canceling until the last minute.

I'd propose the following compromise: normal cancellation is 6 PM (hotel time) the day before check-in. If you add your flight number(s) to the reservation at least two days in advance, then if your flight is canceled (or delayed so you can't connect), then you may cancel later. That would seem to be fair to both sides.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:38 am

For me, the ability to cancel same day by 16:00 is the leading factor in choosing a hotel brand.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
For me, the ability to cancel same day by 16:00 is the leading factor in choosing a hotel brand.
I made a reservation today, and when I checked the terms it still allowed cancellation up to 4:00 PM on day of arrival.

You can be confident that I have a copy of that filed away, just in case.

Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: Air Canda Super Elite, Starwood Platinum
Any "Amnesty" for First Time Offenders?

First time experiencing this, and I called at 6am day off cancellation.

Doubletree hotel Bethesda MD, franchised (not sure if that matters). Asked to speak with someone with authority to 'say yes', she very politely (in her defense) told me to dial away and gladly gave me every supervisor above her name, email, and phone number. She said the company (some management company in Memphis) had a 'no exceptions' rule per the 'VP of Revenue" for the company and wished me luck.

Any hope in writing the Honor's folks? I have been Starwood Platinum for 3+ years and can prove it. Actually can show my transfer of bookings to Hilton.

Offerred points as a compromise, I just have trouble with $400 for an honest error. Advice? Counsel? Chalk it up to a lesson learned? Maybe just need a place to Whine about it......
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Long Time Reader
First time experiencing this, and I called at 6am day off cancellation.

Doubletree hotel Bethesda MD, franchised (not sure if that matters). Asked to speak with someone with authority to 'say yes', she very politely (in her defense) told me to dial away and gladly gave me every supervisor above her name, email, and phone number. She said the company (some management company in Memphis) had a 'no exceptions' rule per the 'VP of Revenue" for the company and wished me luck.

Any hope in writing the Honor's folks? I have been Starwood Platinum for 3+ years and can prove it. Actually can show my transfer of bookings to Hilton.

Offerred points as a compromise, I just have trouble with $400 for an honest error. Advice? Counsel? Chalk it up to a lesson learned? Maybe just need a place to Whine about it......
Try the diamond desk. Not out anything other than a few minutes of your time, but it is probably too late. When I have to cancel I try the hotel first and if they won't budge, then I call the diamond desk and their call to the hotel is usually enough to get it handled.

Everytime I have cancelled in the past after the deadline was due to a flight IROPS. The majority of the time the property just cancelled it with no issue when I told them the reason why (if it was due to WX to the city I was flying to they were already aware of the conditions and if it was WX in my departure city or MX sometimes they would take my word for it and other times ask my flight and just verify online it was canceled.)

The other times I would call the Diamond desk, I was going to make a reservation at an airport property anyway which was usually for more than the reservation I was cancelling so Hilton was still getting revenue out of me.

I have only had to cancel one time since the new policy has gone into effect. Hilton is getting a lot fewer stays from us but mainly due to their stingy late checkout and wifi policy. I wanted to cancel the first night of a four night reservation due to a WX irop and wouldn't get out until the next morning. The property said I would still be charged for the first night. I called the diamond desk and said I wanted to book a night at the airport Hilton and cancel the first night of the other reservation. I asked her to call the property and see if they had any pull and told them I didn't want to book the night at the airport Hilton until I knew I was not being charged at the other Hilton. If the other Hilton would have charged me it would have been in their T&C but my stay at the airport is going with another chain. I had the Skyclub for breakfast and wifi the next morning so the benefits didn't mean anything. Sure enough she was able to get the stay adjusted and the room booked at the airport Hilton. It paid them to be flexible since they got a night out of me at the airport Hilton for a higher rate than I was paying in the arrival city.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Too bad Hilton can't be as fast in implementing the premium changes for their diamonds like their competitors have as they are with implementing the change in the reservation policy similar to their competitors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.