Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Brussels Grand Place {BEL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Brussels Grand Place {BEL}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Delectatio
I live in Antwerp which is 45kms from Brussels. I spend a lot of time in Brussels in I will continue to do so. I was there all day Sunday and went with my partner all day on Tuesday for some shopping and dinner. You could see there was more police on the streets but shops and restaurants were busy as usual and had the usual 'vibe'. Molenbeek is an area you shouldn't normally visit as a tourist (I personnaly have never been there myself even though I am in Brussels very often). Terrorism is a strange thing in that way that you never know where and when it will happen next. For that reason alone I will continue my life the usual way and not stay away from anywhere (currently planning a Paris trip actually). No one can you give any guarantee that nothing will happen but that counts for any city in the world at anytime... The chance that you and your wife will be ok is very big! Enjoy Brussels!
++1
Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
I assume the poster asking about how safe things are in Brussels was looking a bit further out than this weekend but just in case people are travelling this weekend and haven't seen this yet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34889144

Basically Brussels is on highest alert stage. (unfortunately). Official advice:

The Brussels metro is closed till Sunday and people have been told to avoid crowds.
These include shopping centres and concerts, and the authorities have also recommended that large events, including football matches, be cancelled,
We shouldn't give in to terrorism and I hope it doesn't put anyone off Brussels in future, however, best to be safe and check the official advice of your government.

A shame as others have said, the city is a rough gem, raw on the outside but with stunning food and hidden treasures to be found all over the city but do require a bit of work and time to find. I love the city but it took a while for it to grow on me.

Safe travels.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
I assume the poster asking about how safe things are in Brussels was looking a bit further out than this weekend but just in case people are travelling this weekend and haven't seen this yet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34889144

Basically Brussels is on highest alert stage. (unfortunately). Official advice:

We shouldn't give in to terrorism and I hope it doesn't put anyone off Brussels in future, however, best to be safe and check the official advice of your government.

A shame as others have said, the city is a rough gem, raw on the outside but with stunning food and hidden treasures to be found all over the city but do require a bit of work and time to find. I love the city but it took a while for it to grow on me.

Safe travels.
We just returned from a stay in t his hotel last week after the Paris attacks but before the lock down, we left last Wednesday . Do not give in to terrorism and make your plans. I have been corresponding with our driver today, and he indicated that all his future American clients have canceled but he does not feel unsafe. Mullen beck is close to the center but not where you would go as a tourist. You always need to b e vigilant, but you c an not live in fear. Hotel is in a great location next to metro, near grand place with lots of places to eat close by. Nice rooms, they sell a family room, which I b e l e I've is the junior suite posted earlier which easily slept four of us and included breakfast for all of us.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:13 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Mixed bag

Hilton Brussels Grand Place

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Carrefour De L'europe, 3 Brussels, BE 1000

Mixed bag (8 Photos)

Check In

I arrived late in the evening to the hotel due to flight delays across Europe. There was nobody at the door to help with luggage and the first problem was to navigate the very small revolving door with the luggage.

Check in was swift and perfunctory. No upgrade was offered and when asked a call had to be placed to the duty manager and the offer was a new bedroom suite but not renovated. As this did not appeal I stayed with my original choice. The agent handed me a letter outlining the HH Gold perks which are just the normal perks at a Hilton hotel.

Room

The room (a junior suite) was on the top floor. The room itself is just a large room which felt strangely underfurnished: bed, small desk under the rooftop windows, an arm chair and a sofa. The TV was mounted on the wall and can be adjusted to the bed or sofa.

The bathroom was large with separate shower and tub, unfortunately the marble was already slightly worn our and was a remnant from the Le Midien days.

Two small Godiva chocolates were waiting, together with two small bottles of still water for the stay (oddly enough water was not replenished).

The bed while new was quite uncomfortable. The mattress topper too thin so the bed was hard and the duvet equally thin and flimsy.

There was a mini bar but it was empty so drinks have to be ordered via room service and coffee was just instant and a kettle which I thought was quite cheap.

Lounge

The lounge is a temporary arrangement, apparently they are building a proper one. Breakfast served is the same as the main breakfast. I only used it for the afternoon tea and evening drinks both of which were very limited. In the afternoon no staff were visible and tables were left uncleared. In the evening some canapes were on offer and just wine and soft drinks, no cocktails.

The hotel is well located with Gare Centrale just across the plaza and the Grand Place a mere 5 minute walk away.

Overall

Overall this a well located hotel which appears to be still work in progress. The rooms, some renovated, are ok but unfortunately the bed is poor. I don't think I'll return.

Mixed bag

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Brussels Grand Place?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Lounge The lounge is a temporary arrangement, apparently they are building a proper one.
They have been saying this for months.... I'm not too crazy about this hotel either. A high chance of getting one of their 'old' rooms and a poor executive lounge (a rather boring, bold room with a boring view and boring offerings). My next place to stay in Brussels will most probably be the Hilton Bxl City Centre again I am afraid... Not the newest hotel I know but at least there is a decent sauna and steam room and despite having no EL they always give vouchers for the bar and their prices are often half the ones that Hilton Brussels Grand Place charges...
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Stayed here in August.

Yes, "temporary" executive lounge was quite rudimentary.

Check-in was chaos. Room was not available due to an excessive number of late check outs. Long wait.

Hotel is conveniently located... walking distance to many tourist areas.

It was disheartening to see the hotel appearing in the news video a few weeks ago during the security clamp down... armored personnel carriers cruising around in front of the hotel.

We really enjoyed Brussels... perhaps it was best we did not know then what we know now.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
T and a poor executive lounge (a rather boring, bold room with a boring view and boring offerings).
Yes a poor lounge, but actually worked well for breakfast, and I liked the view over the plaza.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

It was disheartening to see the hotel appearing in the news video a few weeks ago during the security clamp down... armored personnel carriers cruising around in front of the hotel.

We really enjoyed Brussels... perhaps it was best we did not know then what we know now.

As I posted, We stayed here Nov 16 - 18 after the Paris attacks, took the train from London, and the metro to the hotel. It was actually pretty normal. Press was just starting to arrive in the hotel. There were no police or army around .. that started the day we left. Staff made no mention of extra caution.. dont know if they were even aware. We had dinner on the street behind the hotel and it was pretty full. It was really weird to see the pictures you mention just a day or two later. . We also enjoyed Brussels. We like history, and really enjoyed the new museum at Waterloo.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:06 am

I gave this hotel another chance last weekend (even though I wasn't planning to stay again soon, the price was very good because of a BRG and I wanted to be in the area).
Overall just 'ok'. Breakfast pretty basic (no salmon, only 2 sorts of - sliced- cheese, instant scrambled eggs, unripe fruits...) Room totally overheated (sleepless night) and I had a bad experience with asking to open a window in the room. I was refused this 3 times, even when I suggested to sign one of their 'liability forms' (this was offered to us last time, but this time the answer was that 'this was no longer an option'). When I asked in the evening to someone else, the 'liability forms' were within a meter of her and it was done within minutes...?? Unfortunately the room remained too hot (because we had to keep the thick curtains closed to block out the street light)...
With so many affordable options in Brussels during the weekends... probably my last stay there.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:15 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
instant scrambled eggs
yes they are truly awful and very oddly sweet
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
yes they are truly awful and very oddly sweet
I agree, and unfortunately these instant (powdered or liquid and pre-packed) eggs have become the norm in most hotels. Hotels that serve 'real' scrambled eggs have become exceptions...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH D
Had a sixth floor jr suite as in starflyergold's review, even more underfurnished, not even a sofa. It was a pre assigned upgrade, checked in on line.

The offerings in the EL this time were exellent. I would say this is the best lounge I've seen in years. Meat balls on tomato sauce, hot vegetables, at least four different types of salads, pastry, fruits, cheeses, sausage. Didn't get to try out everything of course, but the things I tried were very tastefull. Red and white wine, a large selection of soft drinks, no spirits, but draft beers from the bar could be ordered (Leffe Blonde, Lager or Wheat). If I am able to score this again at 90 euros this summer, I will book it.

By the way, 6th floor windows could be opened some 4 in/10 cm, secured by a steel cable.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Sisosig

............By the way, 6th floor windows could be opened some 4 in/10 cm, secured by a steel cable.
Thank you for the info.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, KF Silver, HHONORS Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Silver
upgrade for 'King Accessible' room [Brussels Grand Place]

Brussels Grand Place has a 'King Accessible' room, which is priced the same as a 'King guest' and a 'Queen guest'!

Upgrade considerations aside, I would prefer a Queen Guest to a King Guest (same floor area, more space if smaller bed), and would prefer a King Accessible to a King Guest (the 'King Accessible' has a slightly greater floor area).

As I have Hilton Gold, an I am (hoping) to receive an upgrade, I have a few questions.

-Are all these three considered the same tier, for the purpose of upgrading as per Elite benefits? I would flip if my Queen Guest was 'upgraded' to a King Guest!
-Is there any reason why you would not go for a 'King Accessible' room, given the lack of price differential?

Thank you!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger
Is there any reason why you would not go for a 'King Accessible' room, given the lack of price differential?
The fittings in and layout of the bathroom?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, KF Silver, HHONORS Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
The fittings in and layout of the bathroom?
What can be so bad about handrails and a huge bathroom? I'm just guessing, have never been offered a Accessible room before

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.