Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Whats the point of digital check-in?

Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This past weekend I stayed at the Chicago Hilton. The day before I left on the trip I received an email telling me I could check-in online and all I would have to do is stop at the front desk and pick-up my key. I checked in online, selected my room and provided my CC. When I got to the hotel I had to repeat the entire check in process minus selecting my room.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:57 pm

There is no point. It's a completely useless service.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
If you want to read more about this, see this thread :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...on-custom.html
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I recently stayed twice at the MIA airport Hilton. The first, I did not check-in and got a lower floor room. The second, I got the room I checked-in for. This hotel doesn't appear to recognize status or give upgrades though ...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by smmrfld
At the Hilton Old Town Alexandria, a hotel that I often stay at, the online check-in does save a couple of minutes at the front desk. They have my breakfast coupons and Internet code ready in a folder. They just enable the key card and I can go immediately to the room. The whole front desk process probably takes about 30 seconds, though I actually do spend some additional time talking to the agent.

So, at least at this hotel, there is value to online check-in.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
No, there is a point...

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I got the room I checked-in for. This hotel doesn't appear to recognize status or give upgrades though ...
It's this. Every single time I've done the OLCI, that's it, whatever garbage room the computer gives me (or other garbage it lets me pick). 0% upgrade percentage. I think it puts a big red box that tells the agent not to upgrade the customer because they've "already picked their room" or something.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by arlflyer
No, there is a point...

It's this. Every single time I've done the OLCI, that's it, whatever garbage room the computer gives me (or other garbage it lets me pick). 0% upgrade percentage. I think it puts a big red box that tells the agent not to upgrade the customer because they've "already picked their room" or something.
Exactly. Or, it could be useful at Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden Inns where upgrades are not a program benefit, or properties where all of the rooms are similar anyways (suburban HGIs come to mind) and you can lock in a high floor.

I DO NOT use this feature at Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Hilton, or DoubleTrees unless I was pre-upgraded by the hotel and can select from the upgraded rooms (Conrad New York, Roosevelt New Orleans, and others upgraded me the night before and I could chose from the new room category). I've had conversations with a couple of FDCs who told me that they try their hardest not to move or upgrade people who use the digital lobby, because they assume you chose that room for a reason. Long story short, if you want an upgrade and weren't pre-assigned one that you can see in the app, don't use this feature and just ask at check-in.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Exactly. Or, it could be useful at Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden Inns where upgrades are not a program benefit, or properties where all of the rooms are similar anyways (suburban HGIs come to mind) and you can lock in a high floor.

I DO NOT use this feature at Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Hilton, or DoubleTrees unless I was pre-upgraded by the hotel and can select from the upgraded rooms (Conrad New York, Roosevelt New Orleans, and others upgraded me the night before and I could chose from the new room category). I've had conversations with a couple of FDCs who told me that they try their hardest not to move or upgrade people who use the digital lobby, because they assume you chose that room for a reason. Long story short, if you want an upgrade and weren't pre-assigned one that you can see in the app, don't use this feature and just ask at check-in.
My experience at Hilton Singapore was the exact opposite. Booked the basic room and 2 days before check in, i noticed from HH's app that I had been given a 2 category upgrade to an executive room. Didn't do the OLCI.

When I reached the hotel and checked in physically, was only given a 1 category upgrade.

After that incident, whenever I see from the app that I have a 2 category (and a 3 category once) upgrade, I'll do the OLCI and take screenshots every step of the way. And I'll always get the room shown in the app.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by RCTP
My experience at Hilton Singapore was the exact opposite. Booked the basic room and 2 days before check in, i noticed from HH's app that I had been given a 2 category upgrade to an executive room. Didn't do the OLCI.

When I reached the hotel and checked in physically, was only given a 1 category upgrade.

After that incident, whenever I see from the app that I have a 2 category (and a 3 category once) upgrade, I'll do the OLCI and take screenshots every step of the way. And I'll always get the room shown in the app.
I agree, and that provides another example confirming what I said. I use this when the hotels pre-upgrade me, and I can select from the upgraded room in the app. When they don't, I do not use it and ask at check-in. This has proven successful for me.

Last edited by Michael19887; Oct 30, 2014 at 11:09 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by RCTP

Well if they give me an upgrade in advance, online, then sure, I'll take it.

The point being articulated by myself and another poster was that, generally, doing OLCI precludes the opportunity to have any further upgrades added on (by the desk agent) later.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
I agree with the other posters. While I use online check-in frequently at one hotel, it's because I'm almost always pre-upgraded there. I'm hesitant to use online check-in elsewhere if the hotel doesn't pre-upgrade me. I'd rather talk directly with a front desk agent about upgrade possibilities, assuming I'm not offered one during the check-in process.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I could see it being a help with a late arrival, even though Hilton elites aren't supposed to be walked.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I could see it being a help with a late arrival, even though Hilton elites aren't supposed to be walked.
I used this at the Hilton Warsaw earlier this year. I wasn't due to arrive until about 10pm, but was able to check in in the morning.

I had been pre-upgraded to the Executive Floor and got a room on the top floor adjacent to the lounge. I've no idea if I'd have missed out on that room by leaving it to check in.

It should more accurately be called "Select Your Room"...other check in functions still get performed at the front desk/Lounge depending on property.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
I used this at the Hilton Warsaw earlier this year. I wasn't due to arrive until about 10pm, but was able to check in in the morning.

I had been pre-upgraded to the Executive Floor and got a room on the top floor adjacent to the lounge. I've no idea if I'd have missed out on that room by leaving it to check in.

It should more accurately be called "Select Your Room"...other check in functions still get performed at the front desk/Lounge depending on property.
The option seems to have disappeared here in the uk......I quite like the current system with the suprise of seeing if you've been upgraded the night/ morning before arrival.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by wizla
The option seems to have disappeared here in the uk......I quite like the current system with the suprise of seeing if you've been upgraded the night/ morning before arrival.
Hasn't it always been on a hotel-by-hotel basis that this feature exists?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.