Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canopy by Hilton

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 12:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I would describe my experience as hipster/millennial 3.5 star, but I'm working from a limited data set... and, honestly, that would be right up my alley if priced and advertised accordingly. I'm happy with a Tru for 1-2 nights if it's priced 15-25% less than the nearby Hampton or Home2. If it's priced the same or higher, then it's a no-go... and at least Tru is pretty consistent with how it's advertised.
I see it as cross bred something like a W or Andaz with a more minimalist approach in good taste design.Unfortunately typically I can stay at a 4 star
and save hundreds a night so it wont work when I'm traveling alone
@ 60k a night in points I can stay in a Ritz Carlton for another 8 to 10k Bonvoid points a night and get a suite and late check out
or one of a hundred other 4 star brands
Just to expensive for revenue or award sadly @ 500 a night plus tax.or 60 to 80k in points a night
Old May 5, 2022, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by stvr
What Marriott brands does this brand map out to? I know Marriott pretty well. Aloft?
Wayyyyyy better than Aloft
Old May 5, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My one-nighter at the Canopy Atlanta Downtown was only $189 (plus $25 for parking) and still didn't live up to the price. It was a third date and didn't impress (me at least)... I would have been better off at the Hilton Downtown for $30 less where I've been given their two-floor president's suite on many occasions.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Wayyyyyy better than Aloft
That really depends on the price... I'd say it's a half-star better than Aloft in terms of hard product (not accounting for physical location) at 50-100% higher price.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:14 pm

My one-nighter at the Canopy Atlanta Downtown was only $189 (plus $25 for parking) and still didn't live up to the price. It was a third date and didn't impress (me at least)... I would have been better off at the Hilton Downtown for $30 less where I've been given their two-floor president's suite on many occasions.
All brands vary property to property. I stayed in a new build which likely makes a big difference.
Philadelphia looks like a renovated older property for example priced higher than some of the better 4 star properties
Old May 5, 2022, 5:20 pm

That really depends on the price... I'd say it's a half-star better than Aloft in terms of hard product (not accounting for physical location) at 50-100% higher price.
Canopy has superior beds and better F&B nothing to write home about but a passable breakfast at least as it should for the prices they charge
Old May 6, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Wow. Way nicer than I suspected from the hotel website. Thanks to all. Booked a night in West Palm Beach and will report back.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by stvr
Wow. Way nicer than I suspected from the hotel website. Thanks to all. Booked a night in West Palm Beach and will report back.
yes it’s a really good brand when it’s on point.The Hilton folks have done a horrible job of marketing,and communicating the brand
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I only have a sample size of two so far and I found the Canopy Portland Downtown really mediocre.

However, the Canopy Tempe is absolutely wonderful. Great rooftop bar, friendly employees, large rooms and a great location. Plus the vibe is fun and it feels like the best kind of Kimpton.

I do wish they hadn't jumped on the bathroom barn door craze.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I posted this in the specific hotel thread, but was impressed by the Canopy brand positioning in a recent stay

Definitely a big step up from say a Hilton Garden Inn. In terms of comparing it to "upper upscale," which I guess is Hilton and Curio within the Hilton brands, I would say it is comparable. The Canopy Portland Maine had a rooftop bar open every day, and an all day restaurant that served breakfast/lunch Sunday//Monday/Tuesday (7 AM to 2 PM) and dinner on Wednesday-Saturday (4-9 PM). Room service didn't seem available, but Hilton has basically gotten rid of room service at everything except luxury hotels (Waldorf Astoria, Conrad), so this seems consistent. Other services offered are valet, a decent gym (though the gym was a bit smaller than an area competitor).

Currently there are only 38 hotels, and it seems like 20-30 are in development. So not really a home run yet in terms of development. Are hotel owners that reluctant to do a "full service" new development that doesn't even offer stuff like room service? This particular hotel seemed full and gets a bit of a premium relative to competitors.

https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/...gleLink,i83204
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:10 pm

Canopy thoughts

Great brand
Typically Canopy is far more expensive than a Garden Inn and all to often overpriced.
Impressed with the brand when its on point
The problem is some of their restaurants are good others poor.Much inconsistency
When you pay 300 to 500 a night for a casual boutique property expectations go up
Other issue is while the beds are fantastic in Chicago and Scottsdale it was hard and lousy in Boston (restaurant very good)
In San Francisco its not even a real Canopy it was something else and they took the lipstick on the pig and rebranded it!
There is an expectation of a standard and it fails miserably
And a hotel that is charging 200 a night like Canopy Dallas in the heat of summer shouldn't be 70,000 points a night which is a rip off!
Ok my two cents.I will try the one in London in October which can be justified at that point redemption rate
Old Aug 17, 2023, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anybody yet stayed at Canopy by Hilton Toronto 'Yorkville' (quotes around that because as an ex-Torontoian, I argue that it's too far east to be considered Yorkville, but you know, they gotta market it...), and have opinions on the property?

We are in Toronto a couple of times a year, and have most recently typically stayed at the Andore House (JDV by Hyatt, a few blocks west of the Canopy location), although also been at the Kimpton, and back in the day, we used to stay at the Marriott on Bloor before that was renovated in the W - not because it was a great hotel, but because the location worked real well. I like the Kimpton, good location but a bit too pricey and rooms a bit smaller than ideal, and Andore House is nice, and has a good location close to Yonge/Bloor, though the specific block is a bit...shall we say...shady...and rooms are not so kid-friendly - lots of sharp edges, and am worried when the kids think the record player is a toy.... So saw the Canopy, and while is a tad farther east than ideal, it would work pretty well, as we spend most of our time in mid-town (roughly between Eglinton and Bloor). We've also stayed at the Hilton downtown, but except for the trips we need to be that far downtown, it
s too far south for us.

Pricing at Canopy seems to be on the lower side in terms of Toronto these days (ie, everything is expensive these days....CAD $450+/night all in&#129326, and looks nice, rooms look like a good size, etc. But not sure what to expect at the brand in general, and in this hotel specifically. Given its ~10 minute walk to the typically would walk to from Andore, location would work fairly well. Anything I should know...the good, bad, and just things to be aware of? One big advantage to the Andore is the Canopy has a gym (Andore will give guest passes to a gym down the street, but never bothered to make the effort for that). How is the breakfast (which I assume should be comp. as a gold?).

Appreciate any insight.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Any idea why Canopy only offers 500 points as an alternative to free breakfast for HHG/HHD, rather than 1000? I was under an impression that the brand is intended to be slightly above Hilton, but even DT offers 1000 points. Worse yet, even HGI is 750 points.

It just feel weird as I'd assume that a higher brand = better breakfast = more points if you decline it.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by the810
Any idea why Canopy only offers 500 points as an alternative to free breakfast for HHG/HHD, rather than 1000? I was under an impression that the brand is intended to be slightly above Hilton, but even DT offers 1000 points. Worse yet, even HGI is 750 points.

It just feel weird as I'd assume that a higher brand = better breakfast = more points if you decline it.
Just thinking out loud - Canopy properties would prefer for the average guest to take the breakfast benefit as it is more likely to result in the guest spending more on high margin items (by spending more than the credit, ordering drinks instead of meals) given Canopy properties typically have restaurants/bars.
the810 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by the810
Any idea why Canopy only offers 500 points as an alternative to free breakfast for HHG/HHD, rather than 1000?
What I see for Canopy is 1,000 points per night AND the free breakfast (or daily credit in the US).

Where do you see the choice of points OR breakfast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.