Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Non-Refundable Award Stay" thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis

I just found out that an award reservation I made a while ago is non-refundable and non-changeable (the stay is still four weeks away). Is this typical of Hilton redemptions? I've never heard of such a thing in any other program.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I just found out that an award reservation I made a while ago is non-refundable and non-changeable (the stay is still four weeks away). Is this typical of Hilton redemptions? I've never heard of such a thing in any other program.
what? Never heard of such thing. Did you call and they told you it can't be changed or refunded? I have seen strange things online, but when you call it should be a non-issue.
Tell us more, this sounds REALLY bad if true.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfischer
Did you call and they told you it can't be changed or refunded?
Yes, I called because it wouldn't let me do anything online. A supervisor was eventually able to make the change I wanted (after being on hold for almost ˝ hour), but said it would be impossible to cancel. She also claimed that the cancellation policy was published, but it exists nowhere in my online reservation or my email confirmation, and I can find no reference to it on the hotel's information pages.

I'm no longer disappointed that Hilton rejected my status match and happy that we're almost done burning through my wife's points.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:37 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
What award are you redeeming, and is there a reward code?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:42 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
And what property?

Never heard of such a policy and I've been a diamond for nine years now.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
And what property?
H602 (2 free nights, Cat 6) at the Glasgow Hilton.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:58 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
H602 (2 free nights, Cat 6) at the Glasgow Hilton.
AFAIK, Hilton rewards can be redeposited into your account as long as you are within the appropriate cancellation period. Hilton did increase the amount of points required to redeem an award by about 25 percent and created a whole new category level of hotels effective January 15, 2010.

I also forgot to add that you can obtain HHonors Gold status by applying for the American Express Surpass card which comes with complimentary first year Gold status. After year one, you are awarded Silver status simply for holding the card, and the benefit is to redeem multi night discounted award stays aka GLONS. With the Surpass card, you may earn Gold staus with $20,000 in annnual spending or Diamond status for spending $40,000 on the card.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

AFAIK, Hilton rewards can be redeposited into your account as long as you are within the appropriate cancellation period.
And apparently, the "appropriate cancellation period" was over the moment I booked the award on 09 March.

you can obtain HHonors Gold status by applying for the American Express Surpass card
Hilton decided they don't want our business, so I'm not going to jump through hoops to give it to them.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:53 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
And apparently, the "appropriate cancellation period" was over the moment I booked the award on 09 March.
Do you recall any cancellation period posted while making/confirming the reservation? Or per your prior experience with other hotels did you not really look for one? (as I prob would have assumed)
Is this typical of Hilton redemptions? I've never heard of such a thing in any other program.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Do you recall any cancellation period posted while making/confirming the reservation?
None. I even tried another dummy booking, and there was still nothing listed (though I didn't finish the booking, now knowing that I wouldn't be able to get the points back).

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Or per your prior experience with other hotels did you not really look for one?
I always look to see if it's same day, the day before, or two days before. The longest I've ever seen is three days prior.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I always look to see if it's same day, the day before, or two days before. The longest I've ever seen is three days prior.
I currently have one award reservation with a one month cancallation deadline.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I currently have one award reservation with a one month cancallation deadline.
I can understand this in Hiltons such as Bora-Bora, Maldives, Seychelles,... but in Glasgow?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:52 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Generally my experience as well, unless an 'exotic' property as savoix points out, I love Scotland but Glasgow is not exotic
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: HH diamond
This is very odd. The cancellation policy for your award should be clearly stated on your reservation confirmation. What is listed as the cancellation policy on your confirmation? They cannot change what is printed on your confirmation.

Never heard of a completely unchangeable award (up to cancellation period)! Hope this is not a new trend.

I have had a 2 wk cancellation policy but it was a popular hotel.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
What is listed as the cancellation policy on your confirmation?
Rate Rules and Cancellation Policy:
  • Please contact us should you need to cancel your reservation.
  • Your deposit is non-refundable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.