Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Non-Refundable Award Stay" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Non-Refundable Award Stay" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unhappy Accidentally Booked Non-Refundable Award Stay

I seem to remember there was a thread on this but can't find it.

So, without looking at the cancellation rules carefully, I booked a non-refundable award stay for next fall. When I tried to cancel it today (9+ months in advance), it says it is non-refundable.

I ended up calling. The agent cancelled it and the points returned to the account. I did not get a cancellation number but the reservation is marked "LateCncl". She was in a hurry to hang up the phone for some reason so I could not ask more questions.

I guess the questions:
  1. Really? Especially in the middle of COVID and their "We know that flexibility is important to you during this time. That's why all our hotels offer fully flexible booking options with free changes and cancellations." assurance
  2. Any risk that come next September the hotel will charge me?
Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
1. Yes. COVID has nothing to do with it, and I'm sure they are offering fully flexible booking options, you just chose not to book one.

2. Yes. Especially with no cancellation number and that annotation about a late cancel, I'd be pretty worried about this. It would be worth calling again, explaining the situation, and seeing if the new agent can get you a cancellation number.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
1. Yes. COVID has nothing to do with it, and I'm sure they are offering fully flexible booking options, you just chose not to book one.

2. Yes. Especially with no cancellation number and that annotation about a late cancel, I'd be pretty worried about this. It would be worth calling again, explaining the situation, and seeing if the new agent can get you a cancellation number.
Well. You missed the part where I said Accidental. There was no other option on the first room type selection or the 2nd rate selection screens.

Room Type Selection

There is no other point choice.

This was the only point where the wording came up.

Even for the most expensive room type, there was no option to cancel at 173,000 points a night!

On
https://www.hilton.com/en/p/what-to-expect/ , it does say:

Maybe William Hilton Honors Ambassador can clarify for us? I have not bothered him since the Starwood days Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by username
Well. You missed the part where I said Accidental. There was no other option on the first room type selection or the 2nd rate selection screens.
Nope, I didn't miss that part. You made a mistake, i.e. an accident, by not reading all the terms of the rate you booked. I'm not saying Hilton is providing great customer service here, just that YOU were the one who made the mistake (the "accident") so now you're lucky at all if Hilton bails you out. Don't come here to ..... and moan that they should change their T&C's just to suit you, especially not using COVID as your excuse.

I think we're on the same page that you made the mistake, right? So now we (the FT community) are trying to help you out. Don't dig your hole deeper by attacking the messenger who's trying to give you advice on fixing your mistake.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Nope, I didn't miss that part. You made a mistake, i.e. an accident, by not reading all the terms of the rate you booked. I'm not saying Hilton is providing great customer service here, just that YOU were the one who made the mistake (the "accident") so now you're lucky at all if Hilton bails you out. Don't come here to ..... and moan that they should change their T&C's just to suit you, especially not using COVID as your excuse.

I think we're on the same page that you made the mistake, right? So now we (the FT community) are trying to help you out. Don't dig your hole deeper by attacking the messenger who's trying to give you advice on fixing your mistake.
Yes Sir/Mam. Happy New Year Iceman.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Reward stay, non refundable, even 1 year out

I booked a 2 night stay at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Laval near Montreal for June 2023 on points today. When the confirmation came through, it showed as non refundable and cannot be changed or modified. This is the first time i've made a rewards booking that you can't cancel so far out. Is this something new or have I missed something?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 3:56 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Always check the cancellation policy before booking. Not sure what big events are happening in Montreal in June 2023, but some dates are already sold out. On those dates which are not refundable when booking with points, all the paid rates are also non-refundable. Seems to be the weekends mainly. Other dates have the usual points policy of being cancellable until the day before.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Is June 2023 when the Canadian Grand prix is due to be held? Might explain the non cancellation policy?

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Is June 2023 when the Canadian Grand prix is due to be held? Might explain the non cancellation policy?

Regards

TBS
This. Non-refundable rewards days are not normal for days with no events but it is normal during big events. I've seen non-refundable stays during the Canadian GP for as long as I can remember. The 2023 calendar isn't out yet but if local hotels have word that that's when it's going to be then hotels are going to be expensive and non-refundable.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Formula 1 speculators regularly book up weekends before the race calendar is announced, so that they can try to lock in lower rates / award pricing. Very smart of certain hotels to implement no-cancellation policies, as very few people have other, legitimate reasons to be booking their hotel stay 11 months in advance.

But yet another PSA to read the cancellation conditions before booking. Hilton might be sympathetic if you call them now to cancel. They might also relax the conditions if the actual weekend booked turns out to NOT be F1 weekend...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I've got a non-refundable reservation at the HGI LHR T2 coming up. Unfortunately, BA canceled some of my flights, and I'm not able to spend the night at the hotel. OTOH, I now have a reasonable flight out from ZRH to LHR with a short connection instead of overnight. So it all works out. I have travel insurance as well. Back in February it seemed like August would be fine for traveling. Oh well.

But, I have the reservation still. What's best to do? Should I just no-show? Or should I contact the hotel?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by greg5
I've got a non-refundable reservation at the HGI LHR T2 coming up. Unfortunately, BA canceled some of my flights, and I'm not able to spend the night at the hotel. OTOH, I now have a reasonable flight out from ZRH to LHR with a short connection instead of overnight. So it all works out. I have travel insurance as well. Back in February it seemed like August would be fine for traveling. Oh well.

But, I have the reservation still. What's best to do? Should I just no-show? Or should I contact the hotel?
I would suggest to contact the Hotel and explain the situation. They might agree to refund it. They don't have to, but might be happy to do so.
greg5 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:34 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by greg5

The latest post on this property's own thread says the hotel offered to cancel a stay beyond the cancellation deadline for the same reasons, so they may be willing to help you too.
greg5 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by MP001
I would suggest to contact the Hotel and explain the situation. They might agree to refund it. They don't have to, but might be happy to do so.
Originally Posted by :D!
The latest post on this property's own thread says the hotel offered to cancel a stay beyond the cancellation deadline for the same reasons, so they may be willing to help you too.
I called up, and they were happy to cancel and refund. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jan 12, 2023, 10:02 pm

Nonrefundable Award Booking?

Was looking at a reservation in March with points and under the Cancellation Policy, it said that no cancellations or modifications are allowed for this reservation. I've never had trouble cancelling a points reservation before and don't ever remember reading that no cancellations are allowed for awards redemptions.

Is this a new thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.