Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Any way to drop one night without increasing the price of the whole stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I booked a 5 night stay a while ago for a great price at a Hampton Inn. I now want to change it to a 4-night stay, and yikes it's almost doubling the price for the 4 nights!

I've called Hhonors and they say nothing they can do.

Would the hotel be able to just drop one night without a change in price for the rest? What if we just said we were staying 4 nights when we checked in?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:53 pm

Hotel rates are variable and based on many factors, including arrival and departure date. Based on the limited information, it sounds like the hotel offered you a discounted rate on 1 or more nights of your stay because your stay included a quiet "shoulder" night.

Your reservation almost certainly had this clause in it: "Rates quoted are based on check-in date and length of stay. Should you choose to depart early, price is subject to change."

This type of pricing happens in many places. If you local auto shop had a "Buy 4 Tires, Save 25%", would you expect to be able to buy 3 tires and still get the discount?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I booked a 5 night stay a while ago for a great price at a Hampton Inn. I now want to change it to a 4-night stay, and yikes it's almost doubling the price for the 4 nights!

I've called Hhonors and they say nothing they can do.

Would the hotel be able to just drop one night without a change in price for the rest? What if we just said we were staying 4 nights when we checked in?
Yes, the hotel can drop one night without a change in the price for the other nights. However, they are not required to do so. I would reach out to the hotel, preferably via email if possible. I say email because I find that those who open the emails at a property tend to be more senior and perhaps in management. I find I get better results this way instead of calling and reaching whoever.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Hotel rates are variable and based on many factors, including arrival and departure date. Based on the limited information, it sounds like the hotel offered you a discounted rate on 1 or more nights of your stay because your stay included a quiet "shoulder" night.

Sure, this may be the reason but it is just as likely that

I booked a 5 night stay a while ago . . .
the rate per night has increased closer to the stay date since OP booked the stay "a while ago".
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by controller1
Sure, this may be the reason but it is just as likely that

the rate per night has increased closer to the stay date since OP booked the stay "a while ago".
The OP could confirm this by checking the rate for each night of the 5 nights and if she can still book the 5 nights at the same rate. I would think that both factors may be at work.

To the OP only the hotel will be able to offer you a lesser rate.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it was the "while ago" that determined the price. I'll e-mail the hotel and see what they say.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
I've had this happen several times. Each time I have contacted the property by phone and they were able to drop the unneeded night without increasing the rate.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Was the initial booking prepaid or noncancellable? If not I don't think you will have a problem dropping the last night after check in with the front desk.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

No, it was fully cancellable. It's just that the rates have risen dramatically.

I can't believe they wouldn't be thrilled to be rid of a low rate night to re-sell at double the price.

But I'll let you all know what the hotel says after I e-mail them.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Is the dropped day at the beginning or the end? I would think that makes a huge difference.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

At the end.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I've successfully done this more than once when plans changed by faxing the hotel to the attention of the General Manager.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by sallyerd
If I have a string of 3 or 4 reservation numbers, then I contact the hotel just before my arrival and have them manually "connect" the various rates and reservations while preserving the rock-bottom room rate.
Good tip - I recently did this for a points stay because the one night was not initially available, but opened up as a cancellation. However, I didn't bother contacting beforehand, and upon check-in she was able to connect my reservations so I didn't have to change rooms, but I had to reactivate my room key the next day between the reservation change. This might have been just for this particular Hilton - a slight inconvenience since it was busy with a conference.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:16 am

If at the end, just leave after night 4 and don't check out. The hotel will check you out automatically after the 5th night. Sure, you pay for 5 nights instead of 4 nights but you still come out way ahead.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
At the end.
Originally Posted by emrdoc
If at the end, just leave after night 4 and don't check out. The hotel will check you out automatically after the 5th night. Sure, you pay for 5 nights instead of 4 nights but you still come out way ahead.
This.

Don't fax, don't tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.