Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Award Night Booking for Family n Friends

Old Aug 7, 14, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I have booked 3 Award nights for my Cousin & his wife as an Anniversary gift on my HH Account. The booking is currently showing my name.

How change the booking in his name so that my cousin & his wife can have a smooth check-in ?

Also, I know my cousin is Hilton Gold. Will he be eligible for Gold benefits ?

Thanks,
Old Aug 7, 14, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by agarwaga View Post
Hi,

I have booked 3 Award nights for my Cousin & his wife as an Anniversary gift on my HH Account. The booking is currently showing my name.

How change the booking in his name so that my cousin & his wife can have a smooth check-in ?
You cannot do that online. You can call HHonors and make a gift reservation in your cousin's name and your cousin will be all set. Many FT'ers add the giftee's name to the second guest line. It often works, but calling is guaranteed to work.

Also, I know my cousin is Hilton Gold. Will he be eligible for Gold benefits ?
it has been reported here that the elite benefits given come from the gifter's, not the giftee's, elite level. Your cousin can show his Gold card at check in. Perhaps he will get lucky. Up to the hotel.
Old Aug 7, 14, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
You have to phone in to put an award in someone else's name but it's never been a problem for me beyond the lost minutes on the phone. As for elite benefits, when I book my son into a hotel on point he always gets my free water, free breakfast, etc. but I don't know what would happen if he were Gold and I were Blue, e.g. the reverse.
Old Aug 7, 14, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OB one View Post
You cannot do that online. You can call HHonors and make a gift reservation in your cousin's name and your cousin will be all set. Many FT'ers add the giftee's name to the second guest line. It often works, but calling is guaranteed to work.
I have already made the reservation. Do you think, Hilton would be able to make this change now of putting my Cousin's name?
Old Aug 8, 14, 1:04 am

I have already made the reservation. Do you think, Hilton would be able to make this change now of putting my Cousin's name?
Yes, HHonors would be able to do that, it has never been a problem for me.

I haven't called HH to book award nights for friends for a while. I find it more convenient to book under my name, put my friend as 2nd guest and email HH requesting them to change name.
Old Aug 8, 14, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
fereke showed you the way many FT'ers do it and I do not recall ever seeing a problem reported here resulting from doing that.

Yet a reading of HHonors T&C's says

5.The Reward may be issued to the HHonors member, or to any other person, as directed by the Member. Once issued, the Reward is not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the Reward. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward documentation attempts to redeem the Reward, the Reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied.

I know many of us hate to use the phone these days, but a call to India (my best guess as to where you are from, sorry if I am off) HHonors at 0008006501316 might alleviate your worries.

Be careful though, you might have to cancel and rebook and if you do not have enough points in your account to make duplicate reservations for your cousin, this time in his name, they may cancel the original reward first and then there MIGHT not be any standard availability.

Just telling them that it is a gift and changing the name should be possible, but who knows?
Old Aug 8, 14, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OB one View Post
fereke showed you the way many FT'ers do it and I do not recall ever seeing a problem reported here resulting from doing that.

Yet a reading of HHonors T&C's says

5.The Reward may be issued to the HHonors member, or to any other person, as directed by the Member. Once issued, the Reward is not transferable and may be used only by the individual named on the Reward. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward documentation attempts to redeem the Reward, the Reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied.

I know many of us hate to use the phone these days, but a call to India (my best guess as to where you are from, sorry if I am off) HHonors at 0008006501316 might alleviate your worries.

Be careful though, you might have to cancel and rebook and if you do not have enough points in your account to make duplicate reservations for your cousin, this time in his name, they may cancel the original reward first and then there MIGHT not be any standard availability.

Just telling them that it is a gift and changing the name should be possible, but who knows?
Thanks guys.. Lets see how it goes.. Will keep you posted.
Old Aug 8, 14, 10:30 am

I call them all the time to book reward reservations for my family. It is really very easy. I usually don't like talking to customer service on the phone, but the Diamond desk is usually really good. Wait time is minimal and I like that most of them got some kind of southern accent. Being in SoCal, I don't really get to talk to too many people with southern accent. I found it really interesting.