Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Conrad London St. James {GBR}

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Conrad London St. James {GBR}

Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Had a 4 night stay here last week. Welcomed back as a Diamond member, and returning guest even though my last stay was 3 years ago. Had booked a deluxe king and that is what was initially offered. Politely inquired about an upgrade and received a junior suite, identical to the one in Andryko's pics above (love the TV on a spindle.) To be fair the hotel was not busy and that was reflected in the ~200 GBP rate paid.

As discussed above the lounge canape offerings have gone downhill a bit from the stratospheric level they were at when the property first converted to a Conrad, but still good. The way they are pre-plated and served is mildly irritating as you don't get to see them first and take more of what you want. (and none of what you don't ) The staff will bring as many refills as you want but it makes the process seem a little cumbersome/disjointed (kind of like the way you have to order your drinks at the lounge in HKG.) The end of alcohol service was definitely soft, one night i got a full refill at least 30 minutes after it was schedule to finish.

Had breakfast in the lounge and Blue Boar, both were good, lounge is a little quicker. Gym as i remember it, 3 treadmills, 1 each stepper and bike, dumbbells to ~50 lb, 1-2 pieces of resistance equipment

In terms of location I needed to be in Victoria a couple of times and walked it mostly. A brisk 15 minute stroll, as it is up to Piccadilly. The tube station across the street is great, but i guess where i fall out on this property is that if the hotel itself and the amenities are important it is a fine choice, but there isn't much going on in a 2-3 block radius and if you want to be able to step out the front door and rock up to something quick there are better HH choices in London.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
As discussed above the lounge canape offerings have gone downhill a bit from the stratospheric level they were at when the property first converted to a Conrad, but still good. The way they are pre-plated and served is mildly irritating as you don't get to see them first and take more of what you want. (and none of what you don't ) The staff will bring as many refills as you want but it makes the process seem a little cumbersome/disjointed (kind of like the way you have to order your drinks at the lounge in HKG.) The end of alcohol service was definitely soft, one night i got a full refill at least 30 minutes after it was schedule to finish.

Had breakfast in the lounge and Blue Boar, both were good, lounge is a little quicker. Gym as i remember it, 3 treadmills, 1 each stepper and bike, dumbbells to ~50 lb, 1-2 pieces of resistance equipment

I.
The lovely drinks, juices ginger beer dandelion and burdock are gone and it is diet coke etc. The bankside that the same company run has been downgraded as well.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Question about the dog

My wife is at the Conrad St. James tonight, and my son, well familiar with the benefits (to him) of the Hilton brand, asked her to bring back one of the little stuffed dogs. She apparently asked for one and was told it was only available for a charge. Is that standard? I've not had a charge for the theme animal at the other Conrads at which I've stayed, and don't recall hearing that there was one for this property either.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by whimsey21
My wife is at the Conrad St. James tonight, and my son, well familiar with the benefits (to him) of the Hilton brand, asked her to bring back one of the little stuffed dogs. She apparently asked for one and was told it was only available for a charge. Is that standard? I've not had a charge for the theme animal at the other Conrads at which I've stayed, and don't recall hearing that there was one for this property either.
Seems to be "standard" at this Conrad, unfortunately.. Early on, they didn't have anything, for sale or not, but apparently they've adopted a charge model. Ran into the same issue at the Conrad Seoul as well, but otherwise we've received them for free elsewhere.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:46 pm

W
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Seems to be "standard" at this Conrad, unfortunately.. Early on, they didn't have anything, for sale or not, but apparently they've adopted a charge model. Ran into the same issue at the Conrad Seoul as well, but otherwise we've received them for free elsewhere.
Thats a bit disappointing. They didnt have an animal on my last stay, and so I was pleased about the idea of getting the kids a souvenir. My young son usually pushes for us to stay at a Conrad where possible, as he likes stuffed animals. After this, his brand loyalty will definitely take a hit!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA, DL Gold, HH Gold
W

Thats a bit disappointing. They didnt have an animal on my last stay, and so I was pleased about the idea of getting the kids a souvenir. My young son usually pushes for us to stay at a Conrad where possible, as he likes stuffed animals. After this, his brand loyalty will definitely take a hit!
It all depends on how you ask, or perhaps who you ask. At both Seoul and London I got them for free, and I'm just Gold level.

At both locations I explained at check in that I had chosen to stay at the Conrad, as opposed to another Hilton brand hotel, because I collect the stuffed animals they have, and that I'd be grateful if they helped me get one. In the case of London I also followed up with guest services.

Or, perhaps, I've just been lucky.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by MrDplus
It all depends on how you ask, or perhaps who you ask. At both Seoul and London I got them for free, and I'm just Gold level.

At both locations I explained at check in that I had chosen to stay at the Conrad, as opposed to another Hilton brand hotel, because I collect the stuffed animals they have, and that I'd be grateful if they helped me get one. In the case of London I also followed up with guest services.

Or, perhaps, I've just been lucky.
Thanks for the tip. I might try that approach when I'm next a the St. James.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Hi, I will be staying here in June for a Three night stay in a junior suite. Are they all the same size, or a bit like the Waldorf hit and miss? Could you recommend a particular
room, floor, view please? Where is the lounge located? Is it child friendly? I will have a Two year old with me. I am only a silver member so not expecting any upgrades.
Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it .
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Dax1956, I have only stayed in one Junior Suite here but it looked exactly as the picture on the website shows. Therefore, I'd assume that all Junior Suites have the same size (and are rather small at that).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Dax1956, I have only stayed in one Junior Suite here but it looked exactly as the picture on the website shows. Therefore, I'd assume that all Junior Suites have the same size (and are rather small at that).
Thank you for your comment. The small bit is disappointing as we have booked for three. Not sure where they will put another bed!

Last edited by Dax1956; Apr 23, 2018 at 11:19 am Reason: need to add a comment
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by Dax1956
I will have a Two year old with me......
From an earlier post you mention three (3) adults.....
Do you have 2 adults and 1 child, or 3 adults and 1 child?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
From an earlier post you mention three (3) adults.....
Do you have 2 adults and 1 child, or 3 adults and 1 child?
Two adults and a Two year old child. From the pictures though the junior suite looks too small to accommodate another bed.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:04 pm

Just got back from a great stay at the Conrad St. James. I stayed there a few years ago and wasn't overly impressed, and then tried various other London properties, with my last few stays at Bankside. As I wanted to be north of the river on this trip, I decided to give the Conrad a try again, and am very glad I did. The hard product was excellent-- I had asked for a quiet room, and was given a 6th floor interior room that was absolutely silent. I asked about upgrades on check-in and was told they could give me a slightly larger room, but it would be in a noisier location, so I opted against it. My room was very comfortable, the aircon worked perfectly even though it was quite warm in London, and I knew from flyertalk that I could request different bath amenities so I was able to try a few different brands until I found one I really liked. The exec lounge was mostly good-- a decent selection of sweets in the afternoon, and then a mix of self-serve cold options (mostly cheeses and charcuterie) and warm appetizers brought to your table. The later all sounded good on the "menu sheet," but didn't quite live up to the description. Having the canapes brought to the table was a bit awkward (especially as some rude people kept grabbing the lounge staff to demand food), but the staff were quick and efficient, and I mostly stick with the cheese and alcohol. Bankside's evening lounge food offerings and self-serve setup are much more to my liking. I was very happy, however, with the self serve alcohol selection, as I drink single-malt and they had the Dalmore 12. FWIW, since I remember someone (maybe Wizla?) asking about Jack Daniels-- no JD, but they had Jim Beam and Buffalo Trace as their bourbons. Prosecco was also in abundance along with white and red wine and plenty of gin. The lounge was quite crowded during my stay, with nearly all tables full. My one complaint there was that the coffee machine in the lounge was broken all week, and the lounge staff didn't seem to have any options (one mumbled something about how I could call room service, but it would take a long time...) I had breakfast in the restaurant all week; the selection had greatly improved since my last visit. The buffet now includes a range of hot items, a wide selection of fruits, pastries, and cheese, yogurt (the same brand as at Bankside) and the cereal selection. There was also a table of "Tastes of London" items, including small sticky-buns, mini donut bites, bagels, and muffins. As with the lounge snacks, these didn't quite live up to the hype (I have no idea whether they really qualify as tastes of London either). I stuck with the buffet, but a note in the room outlining my Diamond benefits said that items ordered off the menu during breakfast would be 12gbp each. My big disappointment on day 1 was that the granola was not the same as that at Bankside - this discovery almost ruined my morning. On the second day I discovered a small bowl of Bankside granola next to the yogurt, meant as a topping, I believe. I co-opted some of this as my morning granola, and was much happier thereafter. Service in the restaurant could be improved- one morning my cappuccino arrived almost as I was finishing breakfast. My only other note is that I spent the week attempting to get a Monty dog for my daughter. I asked at the front desk twice a day, every day, during the week. Each time I was told that they were out of dogs, would likely get some soon, and they'd let me know (they took my room number). I never heard back from anyone regarding said dog. Finally, the night before check-out I called down to the desk, and magically a dog was delivered to my door around midnight. Overall, given that the room was extremely comfortable and breakfast and drinks were good, I'll definitely stay here again if I'm getting a reasonable rate.

Last edited by whimsey21; Aug 7, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Just got back from a great stay at the Conrad St. James. I stayed there a few years ago and wasn't overly impressed, and then tried various other London properties, with my last few stays at Bankside. As I wanted to be north of the river on this trip, I decided to give the Conrad a try again, and am very glad I did. The hard product was excellent-- I had asked for a quiet room, and was given a 6th floor interior room that was absolutely silent. I asked about upgrades on check-in and was told they could give me a slightly larger room, but it would be in a noisier location, so I opted against it. My room was very comfortable, the aircon worked perfectly even though it was quite warm in London, and I knew from flyertalk that I could request different bath amenities so I was able to try a few different brands until I found one I really liked. The exec lounge was mostly good-- a decent selection of sweets in the afternoon, and then a mix of self-serve cold options (mostly cheeses and charcuterie) and warm appetizers brought to your table. The later all sounded good on the "menu sheet," but didn't quite live up to the description. Having the canapes brought to the table was a bit awkward (especially as some rude people kept grabbing the lounge staff to demand food), but the staff were quick and efficient, and I mostly stick with the cheese and alcohol. Bankside's evening lounge food offerings and self-serve setup are much more to my liking. I was very happy, however, with the self serve alcohol selection, as I drink single-malt and they had the Dalmore 12. FWIW, since I remember someone (maybe Wizla?) asking about Jack Daniels-- no JD, but they had Jim Beam and Buffalo Trace as their bourbons. Prosecco was also in abundance along with white and red wine and plenty of gin. The lounge was quite crowded during my stay, with nearly all tables full. My one complaint there was that the coffee machine in the lounge was broken all week, and the lounge staff didn't seem to have any options (one mumbled something about how I could call room service, but it would take a long time...) I had breakfast in the restaurant all week; the selection had greatly improved since my last visit. The buffet now includes a range of hot items, a wide selection of fruits, pastries, and cheese, yogurt (the same brand as at Bankside) and the cereal selection. There was also a table of "Tastes of London" items, including small sticky-buns, mini donut bites, bagels, and muffins. As with the lounge snacks, these didn't quite live up to the hype (I have no idea whether they really qualify as tastes of London either). I stuck with the buffet, but a note in the room outlining my Diamond benefits said that items ordered off the menu during breakfast would be 12gbp each. My big disappointment on day 1 was that the granola was not the same as that at Bankside - this discovery almost ruined my morning. On the second day I discovered a small bowl of Bankside granola next to the yogurt, meant as a topping, I believe. I co-opted some of this as my morning granola, and was much happier thereafter. Service in the restaurant could be improved- one morning my cappuccino arrived almost as I was finishing breakfast. My only other note is that I spent the week attempting to get a Monty dog for my daughter. I asked at the front desk twice a day, every day, during the week. Each time I was told that they were out of dogs, would likely get some soon, and they'd let me know (they took my room number). I never heard back from anyone regarding said dog. Finally, the night before check-out I called down to the desk, and magically a dog was delivered to my door around midnight. Overall, given that the room was extremely comfortable and breakfast and drinks were good, I'll definitely stay here again if I'm getting a reasonable rate.
Sounds ok.....yes it was me asking about the JD as my friend I was traveling with loves it ( I'm not a fan myself ) ..... thanks for the detailed review, maybe give this another go sometime but think I prefer Bankside.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Sounds ok.....yes it was me asking about the JD as my friend I was traveling with loves it ( I'm not a fan myself ) ..... thanks for the detailed review, maybe give this another go sometime but think I prefer Bankside.
Bankside has been my go-to until this last trip. I do really appreciate their lounge when I have time to use it. Lately I've noticed that their rates have gone up quite a bit-- on this last trip, I was getting the same rate at both the Bankside and Conrad. Both good choices (for me, at least) going forward...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.