Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Diamond Guarantee Reservation

Old Jul 25, 14, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Dia, UMP Premier Plat, AA Plat

Anyone ever tried to use the Diamond Guarantee Reservation benefit and get turned down? I'm a long time HHonors Diamond, stay way over the Diamond benchmarks every year (yada, yada, yada) and have been denied a Diamond Reservation Guarantee even though I am booking more than the required 48 hours out. It's an island destination and there are literally no rooms available at any hotel for a portion of my stay. I was hoping to make good use of the guarantee, but have been denied by the Diamond desk as well as the hotel directly.

I understand there's only so many rooms to go around and when they're full they're full. But I guess my biggest problem is with the wording that Hilton heavily promotes. To "guarantee" something is to promise certain conditions will be met, in this case, that a room can be reserved. That is apparently not true. If it was called a "priority" for Diamonds or something similar, I would understand. And don't give me the fine print exceptions. To guarantee something is such strong wording that it leaves no wiggle room. It is very deceptive and seems borderline fraudulent for a business to advertise a guarantee and then willingly not fulfill it's promise.

Anyone have any luck with recourse? I may send a PM to the new Hilton rep on FT.
Old Jul 26, 14, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
You've read the fine-print on the guarantee, right?

* The Diamond Reservations Guarantee allows Diamond members to place a guaranteed reservation at a sold out hotel when made 48 hours prior to arrival, except during Extraordinary Demand Date periods, when the hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by more than 10%, and for some hotels when the hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by more than 2%.
Old Jul 26, 14, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kdw133 View Post
I understand there's only so many rooms to go around and when they're full they're full. But I guess my biggest problem is with the wording that Hilton heavily promotes. To "guarantee" something is to promise certain conditions will be met, in this case, that a room can be reserved. That is apparently not true. If it was called a "priority" for Diamonds or something similar, I would understand. And don't give me the fine print exceptions. To guarantee something is such strong wording that it leaves no wiggle room. It is very deceptive and seems borderline fraudulent for a business to advertise a guarantee and then willingly not fulfill it's promise.
Ah, but the devil is always in the details.

Been burned by this a couple times myself, once when it was Hiltonís fault. Sorry but as you note, when a property is full, sometimes it means it really is full. The Diamond 'Guarantee' takes a back seat.
Old Jul 26, 14, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Used a few (<6) times, no problems aside from high rate. YMMV.
Old Jul 26, 14, 9:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
If they didn't have any fine print, what would happen if more diamond members than the hotel had rooms wanted rooms? Imagine 2,500 Diamond members trying to guarantee a room on New Year's Eve in Times Square. The property would have to walk 2,200 Diamond members! Diamond members would then intentionally Diamond Force at popular properties out of the hopes of being walked and getting a free night.
Old Jul 26, 14, 10:37 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by docbert View Post
You've read the fine-print on the guarantee, right?
Q: When is a guarantee not a guarantee?
A: When it's offered by Hilton
Q: When does a triple-points offer not offer triple points?
A: When it's offered by Hilton, where thousands of hotels have "opted out"
Q: When is a hotel not where it says it is?
A: When it's a Hilton. Such as the LHR Terminal 5 Hilton which is miles away, it isn't even the nearest Hilton to T5 !

You can't believe a word from these guys
Old Jul 28, 14, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I know what's in the fine print, but it doesn't seem right to call it a "guarantee" then. That would like me saying:

"I guarantee the next poster in this thread will receive a new car!*

*Except if that person's screen name begins with a letter or number or any character found on a keyboard. Not valid to person's who are residents of Earth."

A guarantee is an ironclad promise. Hilton can't go changing the definition of words in the English language on their own. It's the same thing to what harryhv said, their new "Triple your Trip" promotion is far from the truth because it only applies to weekends (excludes 58% of nights) and so many hotels opt out. And I understand the extreme situation adambrock laid out, but the hotel is not full of people on Diamond Guarantee reservations. They should put a cap on just these types of reservations to save them for those who need them, not just if the hotel has overbooked itself with regular reservations.

The Hilton Honors program is full of sophisticated users. Hilton should quit being misleading in their titles in an attempt to look better. Promoting things like a reservation "guarantee" and "triple" points sounds great, but is completely false. Just be honest.

For the record, I have yet to receive a response to the PM I sent to the Hilton Honors Rep.
Old Jul 28, 14, 9:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, WN CP
A guarantee is an ironclad promise. Hilton can't go changing the definition of words in the English language on their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEB7WbTTlu4
Old Jul 28, 14, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Sorry, HansGruber, your screenname begins with "H" which is a letter on a keyboard. My "Free Car Guarantee!" did not apply if the next poster's screenname began with a letter on the keyboard.

I will also not need to check your residency status at this time.
Old Jul 28, 14, 11:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
FYI, both Marriott and Starwood have similar "exclusions" for their "guaranteed room for top level elites" as well. I've never had top level status with Hyatt, but I checked them and they also have very similar wording for they guarantee.

So it isn't just a Hilton thing.
Old Sep 5, 14, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Don't mean to resurrect this thread, but I just tried for another Diamond "Guarantee" at a Hampton Inn in a non-major metropolitan location (so it's not like there is some big event), and it was another no. I sent another PM to the Hilton rep on here, but what is the use of having a "guarantee" that never comes through when you need it? This is completely misleading and false advertising.

I've already maxed out Hilton Diamond (at 50+ stays, 100+ nights) for next year, so it may be time to start checking out Marriotts. The reason I don't is because I find Diamond perks like this useful, but if they're never available, I'll start over on another program. I still have a bad taste in my mouth after the devaluation as well.
Old Sep 5, 14, 5:25 pm

Sigh. This again. It must be offered first, which indicates that there's a room available anyway. 100% on this. Otherwise the hotel simply displays "No Rooms Available" on search. That's it. Already been covered in other threads. Have a nice day
Old Sep 5, 14, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Sigh. This again. It must be offered first, which indicates that there's a room available anyway. 100% on this. Otherwise the hotel simply displays "No Rooms Available" on search. That's it. Already been covered in other threads. Have a nice day
Not sure I follow your response. It "must be offered first" on the website or no rooms are available?

If so, don't you think it's ridiculous that there's "No Rooms Available" when the whole point of the benefit is to guarantee Diamond members a room specifically when none are available?
Old Sep 5, 14, 5:37 pm

Not sure I follow your response. It "must be offered first" on the website or no rooms are available?

If so, don't you think it's ridiculous that there's "No Rooms Available" when the whole point of the benefit is to guarantee Diamond members a room specifically when none are available?
There is a difference between "Diamond Guarantee available" and "No Rooms Available". If really and truly no rooms are available, then Diamond Guarantee will not pop up.
Old Sep 5, 14, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
There is a difference between "Diamond Guarantee available" and "No Rooms Available". If really and truly no rooms are available, then Diamond Guarantee will not pop up.
So what you're saying is if there are no rooms available, the benefit that guarantees a room will be available won't pop up. Got it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: