Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
We had a good stay here early in the week. We got an upgrade from a jr suite to a 1br and the service at checkin and the lounge was great. However, a valet parking charge was added to my account and I noticed it in my emailed receipt on the way home. After a couple of calls I'm not getting anywhere except that they're investigating. They've already confirmed that it was my name and room number on the valet ticket (which is concerning in its own right that someone had that information). They kept saying that a couple did valet for an Audi and that it was confirmed to be my information. Considering we took uber to and from the hotel to the airport it's getting a little frustrating that a charge so trivial is being fought over. I've contacted the HH rep here so hopefully she can help.
That's a known scam...or at least it was when I worked in hotels. It works best in luxury hotels where the staff endeavors to use the guest's name during each interaction.

Essentially, the scammer sits somewhere within earshot of either the Front Desk, a restaurant, or Valet Stand. If the scammer overhears your name, he or she will casually follow the guest into the elevator. Once the guest arrives at the floor, the scammer pretends to be going to a different room while discovering your room number. That leaves the scammer with information (Last name and room number) required to charge things to your room.

It's more of a scam against the hotel, not the guest. In reference to the bolded text, neither you nor your financial information were compromised.

Or, it just could have been a confused staff member. Thieves usually charge food, beverages, or retail items using the above scam. The fact that it was valet parking means it could have been a mistake. For example, the Valet Staff didn't write down the guest's name or room number (or wrote it illegibly) and then they pulled up your name when searching for the correct room upon which to place the charge.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Sep 7, 2018 at 4:22 am Reason: Added reference to the text that I bolded.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
That's a known scam...or at least it was when I worked in hotels. It works best in luxury hotels where the staff endeavors to use the guest's name during each interaction.

Essentially, the scammer sits somewhere within earshot of either the Front Desk, a restaurant, or Valet Stand. If the scammer overhears your name, he or she will casually follow the guest into the elevator. Once the guest arrives at the floor, the scammer pretends to be going to a different room while discovering your room number. That leaves the scammer with information (Last name and room number) required to charge things to your room.

It's more of a scam against the hotel, not the guest. In reference to the bolded text, neither you nor your financial information were compromised.

Or, it just could have been a confused staff member. Thieves usually charge food, beverages, or retail items using the above scam. The fact that it was valet parking means it could have been a mistake. For example, the Valet Staff didn't write down the guest's name or room number (or wrote it illegibly) and then they pulled up your name when searching for the correct room upon which to place the charge.
There was no one in the elevator with us that I can recall. The only other place I can think that got the information was when I left my bill at the bar with our room information on it for a room charge. I don't know how long it sat after I filled it out and left. It's not a big deal as it was finally taken care of but it was odd that I was getting so much pushback from the first and second person I spoke to as well as with the valet directly. The times we arrived/left for the airport in our Uber would've proved that it wasn't me easily but all they kept saying was they'll investigate/look at the tapes and get back to me.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I am Gold and used Amex anniversary night ( It was priced at 70,000 points or $400ish).
Hotel is all suite ocean front property. I was contacted by concierge if I wanted to buy upgrade for $100, but declined.

My Gold upgrade was top floor, south view and further east, closer to beach. A four seasons is in construction next door and will block this great view. AFAIK, the ocean front rooms are larger suites. I did see some 2 story rooms from the pool area.

Received a welcome gift of cake and personalized welcome letter.

The rooms are fantastic, large sitting area, balcony, spacious bathroom with tub and shower, fully stocked kitchenette, fridge with microwave and electric stove.
Turn down service, etc. Overall very nice room. Comfortable bed and very quiet. Nespresso machine. Tap water has a yellow color.

Resort fee of $35, but waived. The items that I used were bicycle rental, 2 bottles of water, beach chairs, wifi. I used the Steam room in spa.
The pool is on 6th floor and has a hot tub. Weekend ambiance was chill, not too many people and blend of families with kids and couples, groups of locals, overall quiet.

I received two $20 resort credit cards that I used for buffet breakfast at Terra Mare ($35), and my wife used to order a la carte dish $16. Nice ocean views at outdoor terrace, included bloody mary bar.

Gold and Diamonds receive an invitation to wine hour at the market at 4pm. Choice of Red or white, plus a charcuterie station. Wine was decent and snacks welcomed.
Used uber to FLL that is $20. Stopped at Publix on way to hotel so I stocked the fridge with snacks and drinks. I was able to get a 2pm checkout but still stay and use pool until my afternoon flight home.

Overall very nice hotel, wonderful staff. Will return next year!
shocky likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:00 pm

Despite not being on the list of Hilton "Resorts", i can confirm this property does qualify for Aspire card $250 resort credit
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I just stayed here, it was a very nice property. (I booked via FHR, and was proactively offered 4pm checkout, but didn't need it)
FHR bennies were a 60$ credit for breakfast per day at the restaurant, which was about enough for the three of us to have a light breakfast, plus a 100 resort credit to use at the other restaurants/cornucopia quicksevice, we used it at the pool bar/resto for lunch.

the 1 BR suite was nice and they had brought a crib for our 20MO.

overall, I'm sure we'll be staying here next visit
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bubbabp
Despite not being on the list of Hilton "Resorts", i can confirm this property does qualify for Aspire card $250 resort credit
The Conrad FLL is listed at the Hilton resorts site.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:39 pm

This hotel has zero appeal to me. Am I wrong? Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?
A failed condo
One restaurant
How many pools? Kid pool ? heated?
Seems unless I was a LARGE family that wanted to cook ( and even then -- who wants that on vacation?
Is the hotel cold and sterile?
like a morgue? Is there only ONE restaurant???
how is it?
Conrad is a great name and brand in Asia , but this is a failed second or third tier Trump condo? Oops I ,mean ( licensed name )The Trump Doral is hardly luxury
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by writetorich
Am I missing something?
A failed condo
One restaurant
How many pools? Kid pool ? heated?
Seems unless I was a LARGE family that wanted to cook ( and even then -- who wants that on vacation?
Is the hotel cold and sterile?
like a morgue? Is there only ONE restaurant???
how is it?
Conrad is a great name and brand in Asia , but this is a failed second or third tier Trump condo? Oops I ,mean ( licensed name )The Trump Doral is hardly luxury
There is one main restaurant in addition to a pool restaurant/bar, as well as a nice lobby bar. There is also a deli/coffee shop adjacent to the lobby. This is a similar food and beverage setup to a number of other FLL beach hotels, including the Hilton and DT Bahia Mar.

The furnishings are modern/luxurious, whether you like that or not will be personal preference. I too never cook on vacation but the full kitchen was great for keeping drinks and snacks. Again, personal preference whether you think this equates to a morgue atmosphere, I certainly did not.

There is one pool, located up a few levels, again very similar to most all other hotels on A1A.

The building was originally slated to be a condo building but that fell through way back when, its sat vacant ever since. Not sure what this, or your comparison to Doral, has to do with anything.

The hotel is not kid unfriendly but its certainly adult oriented, as are most other high end properties in FLL and South Beach for that matter. If you're looking for a sprawling beach resort with multiple pools and 10 restaurants where you can go for a week and let your kids run wild and never leave the resort, then this is most definitely NOT the place for you.
writerguyfl, JLSocks and shocky like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
We really liked the hotel itself and the service was pretty good (one at the front desk was amazing). Other than the issue of them trying to charge us for valet parking when we didn't have a car we had nothing to complain about. I know it's a problem for some but with a beach right out the front door the pool wasn't an issue for us and there was plenty to eat a short walk away. But I also do cook when I travel a lot so that was nice to have as well. Again to each their own.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There is one main restaurant in addition to a pool restaurant/bar, as well as a nice lobby bar. There is also a deli/coffee shop adjacent to the lobby. This is a similar food and beverage setup to a number of other FLL beach hotels, including the Hilton and DT Bahia Mar.

The furnishings are modern/luxurious, whether you like that or not will be personal preference. I too never cook on vacation but the full kitchen was great for keeping drinks and snacks. Again, personal preference whether you think this equates to a morgue atmosphere, I certainly did not.

There is one pool, located up a few levels, again very similar to most all other hotels on A1A.

The building was originally slated to be a condo building but that fell through way back when, its sat vacant ever since. Not sure what this, or your comparison to Doral, has to do with anything.

The hotel is not kid unfriendly but its certainly adult oriented, as are most other high end properties in FLL and South Beach for that matter. If you're looking for a sprawling beach resort with multiple pools and 10 restaurants where you can go for a week and let your kids run wild and never leave the resort, then this is most definitely NOT the place for you.

I didn't find it "morgue" like, definitely less crowded/chaotic than the hilton down the street. They had the lobby bar w/food, the quick service pantry place, the "main restaurant", the pool bar/resto, I don't know what you're expecting? The room was quiet, pretty spacious, well appointed, etc. much more comfortable bed, etc.

The pool was reasonably family friendly, they had a hopper with toys, the pool was on the "cool" side for casual swimming but it was fine, much better than the 90 degree pee water at the westin. I was there early ~9:30-10ish and there were loads of families there with kids, probably ~10 or so families, it was fine. Its not an all inclusive resort so... and I've never stayed at one. Maybe the ritz is nicer, but for twice the price.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I was actually staying at the Hilton next door when I took a tour of the Conrad... I thought the Conrad was appealing to me. It was adult oriented which is a plus for me. The Hilton next door has kids everywhere I'm used to staying at the likes of 1 Hotel South Beach in Miami. To each his own because your dislikes is what makes me like the Conrad Fort Lauderdale, lol

I'm looking forward to staying with them very soon!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by writetorich
Am I missing something?
A failed condo
One restaurant
Why would it matter that it was a failed condo development if it is now a nice hotel option? I think the Atlantic next door (which was opened as a St. Regis) was also originally developed as having a condo section. As for the one restaurant, it is beyond me that anyone travels to a place and then eats in the hotel. One restaurant is fine with me for breakfast and possibly a light snack when I'm laying around the pool. Personally I want to get out and experience the local restaurant options instead of staying at the hotel and eating there.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:02 pm

Resort hotels Vs, City hotels

with regard to a non -resort stay, a city hotel , I agree with you 110%. In fact if Hilton did not offer free breakfast , I'd likely eat out. In DC I tend to stay at the Willard. Breakfast is big $$$ and all thee meals are not in the hotel. Or a croissant and cup of coffee to go at the Cafe. Unless me and or my kid is/are exhausted , Lunch and Dinner are outside around town. That's party of going to a city. And only Dinner is occasional room service and breakfast at the property if not good options within a few blocks.

However at a resort hotel, part of the selection is that I enjoy staying on premises and relaxing.
Admittedly, as a Manhattan resident who does not own a car and as I don't drive everyday , my preference is not to rent a car in an unfamiliar city after a flight when I am tired and driving my young daughter. While I am sure Ft. Launderdale and Hollywood have world class museums That I inevitably will miss out on. I want to stay put. Also with the big freeway in between the hotel and beach it does not look all that pedestrian friendly.

In Portland, San Fran, DC , Seattle , I could care less about the number of restaurants
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:57 pm

Please don't come to Fort Lauderdale, writetorich. You will not be happy here. As JJeffrey notes, virtually all the hotels on Fort Lauderdale Beach are set up in the same way as the Conrad. If you're unwilling to leave the hotel, you'll be stuck eating in the same restaurant repeatedly.

For what it's worth, you absolutely do not need a car. There are at least 6 restaurants within a 4 block radius. If you're willing to walk a few more blocks, there are easily a dozen more.

By the way, that "big freeway in between the hotel and beach" is one of the most pedestrian friendly parts of Fort Lauderdale. You'll find people walking along both sides of that road from before sunrise until late at night. It doesn't look like any freeway I've ever seen:

Courtesy Bing Maps: https://binged.it/2Np1K41
JJeffrey and Cat88L3 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:10 pm
cjd

Had a 2 night Award stay last week. Award was for a King Junior Suite and that was the room we were allocated although it was on the 18th floor. Room faced south and overlooked the construction work going on adjacent to the hotel. Unfortunately it was too noisy to enjoy the benefit of the sunny balcony due to the noise from the construction work. All south facing rooms will be affected by this work for some considerable time in the future. Even at the pool, you could hear the noise over the music being played. Room itself was very modern and a good size with large marble bathroom, kitchen area and good size sitting area, although the sofa bed in the lounge area was very hard. The good sized comfortable bed had the mattress on a large wooden/leather base which protruded all the way around the bed and it was so easy to knock your leg on the base. As Diamond, we were given vouchers valued at $20 towards breakfast and we took the American breakfast for $29, which was a cooked to order breakfast. No self parking and valet car parking was expensive at $48.15 including tax per day. No resort fee charged on the award stay. Stay was okay and would go back, but would wait until the building next door is finished. Think the hotel should warn guests about the work next door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.