Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refugee from Marriott and IHG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Refugee from Marriott and IHG

Please tell me it's going to be ok.

Try to be brief - I've got quite a bit of MR and ihg points built up after 10 years on the road mainly staying with them, *wood and Hyatt.

But for low end stays (at $90-100) I just cannot take the inferior hard product that Fairfield Inn, Courtyards, Holiday Inn and HIE's offer. The beds are either rock hard or sag - no consistency. Thread bare towels, dirty carpets, bad breakfast bagels, the list goes on.

While every time I have a stay at a Hampton, I'm pretty thoroughly satisfied. Only problem is, the points program seems to be lacking and has a fairly checked past as far as devaluation. (I know, they all do but....)

So, hard product, I'm moving about 50-80 nights a year to Hilton/Hampton for my own personal comfort. I'll still earn my Hyatt Diamond and hold Spg Lifetime Plat - so no worries about upper end or vacation stays.

It would be great if a veteran HH member would let me know I'm not crazy. I've made my decision but, it never hurts to hear that you're not the only one.

Just applied for and was approved for the Reserve card. Couldn't hurt.

Thanks for reading. Didn't see a better thread to stick this in. If there is, maybe the mods can move it over.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'd say you're far from crazy, but I'd be sure to check prices at Aloft and Hyatt Place properties as well... sometimes they'll be in that range, sometimes not, but I prefer them both to Hampton and HGI in terms of hard product.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'd say you're far from crazy, but I'd be sure to check prices at Aloft and Hyatt Place properties as well... sometimes they'll be in that range, sometimes not, but I prefer them both to Hampton and HGI in terms of hard product.
I stay at HPs all the time - helps secure Dia status for vacation stays. I literally cannot sleep on the Aloft platform bed. I love the concept and rest of the package aloft offers. But the bed is a deal breaker. Is there a brand standard mattress for Hampton Inn? I find them very comfortable and as I get older, I get more selfish in these matters. My personal bed is a W bed full package)
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Hilton gardens inns are superior to cy. Great breakfasts. Now that they are moving away from the sleep comfort beds I think they'll be the best if the lot.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I am also in the camp that thinks HGIs are far superior to CYs. I cannot stand the CY bed nor the tacky color schemes and design. HGI breakfasts are also a big plus, that is a real breakfast.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:12 pm
In Memoriam

The reality is the point devaluation is offset by the real promos (and easy) that HHonors does. I tried to spread the wealth around and tried to be an IHG customer and had zero luck. While I was able to accumulate a high of 250K points, it just was not worth it.
I have seen everything at HIX/HI/HIR from USED Icebags, to bugs in the sink, to blood on the floor, etc etc. I just could not do it. I had similar stays with mattresses that were sagging in the middle with skimpy little pillow.

In addition to Hamptons, more often than not, HGI's are at the same or minimally higher price. 2XTrees (some here give them a bad rap) are my favorite for the money. Usually a few dollars more than a Hampton, but they are not "cookie cutter" hotels, all are different and very few are "purpose built" as a 2XTree; I happen to like the variety.

I will add, I really don't care too much about upgraded rooms, unless the wife is with me on vacation; then they never seem to disappoint. Also, I really don't care about hotel lounges. I was Marriott for a long time and just got tired of groveling for breakfast certs, etc. I never have that problem with HHonors.

I will also say that six years ago, I had a real challenge with my son on his honeymoon, I called Hilton and they had me (him and my daughter in law) taken care of in thirty minutes at a Waldorf Astoria. (My ex and his mom picked a DUMP in Key West)

Then there is the HHonors AMEX. I am certain, I accumulate another 250K points p/a with that card.

Don't look back.

Last edited by underpressure; Jun 21, 2014 at 9:19 pm
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL GE
I am a double diamond and have no loyalty to any other program as I never saw a need too. Familiarity is my comfort and yes, it seems HH does a good job with standards, in most cases...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by pragakhan
I am a double diamond and have no loyalty to any other program as I never saw a need too. Familiarity is my comfort and yes, it seems HH does a good job with standards, in most cases...

Double diamond?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Double Diamond?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by submonte
Double Diamond?
A term usually used to convey loyalty, not a recognized designation/level. Twice the required nights/stays to achieve stated status, in this case Diamond.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
While every time I have a stay at a Hampton, I'm pretty thoroughly satisfied.
Keep it up and you're going to find some fairly inferior Hamptons. IMHO, Hilton hasn't cleansed the property list adequately. I recognize the temptation to have more properties , and in some cities the Hampton will be the sole Hilton property, but bad Hamptons are out there. For me, HGI is much more consistent (and the closest HH competitor for Courtyard I believe) and a good choice if one can live with the rates.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
A term usually used to convey loyalty, not a recognized designation/level. Twice the required nights/stays to achieve stated status, in this case Diamond.
Yup. 60 nights for Diamond, usually around 130 for the year..

Of course that doesn't include other brands where HH isn't located or available or reasonable :P
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:43 pm
In Memoriam

Of course that doesn't include other brands where HH isn't located or available or reasonable :P
the same here....
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gotcha. I thought it may be like our family - both my wife and I both hold/have held Hyatt Diamond status in the same year. When checking in together (while not often) if would've been nice if some extra notice was given. ^ Not necessary of course.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I used to be IHG/Marriot as well, I too really hated a lot of the fairfield inns and the courtyard really irked me with not providing lobby coffee, and that is just a pet peeve of mine.
I love the hampton inn and know exactly what to expect when staying there.....
occassionally I will stay at a doubletree or a HGI but I do love my hampton inns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.