New Beds Hilton Garden Inn

Old Jun 15, 14, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
New Beds Hilton Garden Inn

I was at the HGI in South Haven MS this week and they had a new bed that was not the standard garden sleep number bed. I inquired at the front desk about the change in beds and was told that all HGI's were moving to a new bed that was not adjustable. I have not seen this at any other HGI and I average one night a week inHGI's has any one else seen this?
Old Jun 15, 14, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXEC PLAT, HH Diamond and SPG GOLD
Yep. I was at a HGI in Omaha a few months ago and noticed the same thing.
Old Jun 15, 14, 4:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Awesome! Glad to see more properties getting rid of those awful garden sleep system. Even in the softest setting it's like sleeping on cement. I've been avoiding properties that haven't changed the beds yet.
Old Jun 16, 14, 12:38 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA *G, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by Michael19887 View Post
Awesome! Glad to see more properties getting rid of those awful garden sleep system. Even in the softest setting it's like sleeping on cement. I've been avoiding properties that haven't changed the beds yet.
How have you managed to proactively identify which properties have changed?
Old Jun 16, 14, 7:09 am

The properties list Garden Sleeper or Serta in the room description on the website.
Old Jun 16, 14, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Plat,HH Diamond,Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold (Thanks UA!)
I'm just the opposite. I stay at HGIs because of the bed.
Old Jun 16, 14, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond

Ditto, the beds were pretty much the only thing I did not like about the HGI brand and I had started to avoid them because of it.
Old Jun 16, 14, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
You're joking, right? The firm adjustable mattress was the single most compelling reason for me to prefer HGI. I have noticed that in some HGI properties, the queen rooms would be a regular innerspring mattress while the kings were the adjustable.

If they are rolling out standard mattresses system-wide, HGI will now become just a Courtyard with breakfast for elites.
Old Jun 17, 14, 9:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Thank God they are getting rid of those awful beds! I have been avoiding HGI and complaining to Hilton about these beds since the first time I laid down on one (I stay in these about 3-4 times a week) . Not to mention waking up sweating due to that awful topper they put on there.
Old Jun 17, 14, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by keeton View Post
You're joking, right? The firm adjustable mattress was the single most compelling reason for me to prefer HGI. I have noticed that in some HGI properties, the queen rooms would be a regular innerspring mattress while the kings were the adjustable.

If they are rolling out standard mattresses system-wide, HGI will now become just a Courtyard with breakfast for elites.
To each his own... but that bed is beyond awful. They are adding the same comfortable Serta Perfect Sleeper and bedding to this brand. If you don't like the regular Hilton bed, why do you stay at their hotels?
Old Jun 17, 14, 9:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cop35758 View Post
Thank God they are getting rid of those awful beds! I have been avoiding HGI and complaining to Hilton about these beds since the first time I laid down on one (I stay in these about 3-4 times a week) . Not to mention waking up sweating due to that awful topper they put on there.
Amen to this. I set the fake sleep number bed to it's firmest setting only to have the damn thing deflated when I wake up in the morning. Good to see they are moving away from those horrible beds. I have been staying at Hampton and Doubletree properties to avoid the HGI beds.

I have a sleep number bed at home. These beds are a poor copy of one. My wife won't stay at HGI properties due to the bad beds. She stayed at a Homewood Suites last weekend just to avoid the HGI beds.

Thank you Hilton for finally listening to your customers!
Old Jun 17, 14, 11:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
This is awesome. . I avoid HGI because of the beds.
Old Jun 17, 14, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
To each his own... but that bed is beyond awful. They are adding the same comfortable Serta Perfect Sleeper and bedding to this brand. If you don't like the regular Hilton bed, why do you stay at their hotels?
My choice of hotel depends on where I'm going, and can be anywhere in the US. If a HGI is available at a reasonable price, I will steer my business there due to 1) the adjustable beds and 2) the free cooked-to-order breakfast for golds. HGI is (was) my favorite HH brand. I stay at quite a few other properties (HH and others) so I have a basis for my comparison.

I actually looked into purchasing the HGI bed but found the $4500 price tag a bit daunting.

In all fairness, I have been to a couple of HGI properties where the mattress was in disrepair. I think it was leaky air bladders as the support was uneven. Even this was better than the over-soft, no-support mattresses I was finding at some Marriott brands.
Old Jun 18, 14, 8:53 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
I'm just the opposite. I stay at HGIs because of the bed.
Ditto to that. My routine was always 1. Walk into room. 2. Turn bed to it's highest setting. I stayed at HGIs almost constantly for two years and never had a complaint about the beds.

Having said that, I never thought the bloody switch was connected. It never felt like it was connected and I never understood what was going on inside the matress.

Not traveling constantly anymore but I still like HGI. I'll have to see about the "new & improved" beds.

As another aside, this sure is an issue with strong opinions
Old Jun 18, 14, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by poser View Post
This is awesome. . I avoid HGI because of the beds.
I'm just the opposite -- I stay at HGI's because of them --- but they're getting fewer and farther between and we had one recently that was about worn out.

Bob H

Search this Thread
Search Engine: