Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Fall Out, now that we are more than 1 year past Major Devaluation

Old Jun 3, 14, 9:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem

OK, I admit it, I'm still pissed off at Hilton/Hhonors for the devaluation. I have avoided almost all stays at properties other than to redeem the points I had accumulated in the past since the announcement. Today I received a wedding invitation at a Hilton Property abroad, I have enough points for 5 of the 7 nights I plan to stay, and will reluctantly pay for the other 2.

I am wondering if other people are in the same boat as me, or I am off in an ocean by myself.

After the devaluation last year, I made 2 paid stays at Hilton properties for a total of 9 nights. I moved most of my stays to Marriott, where they got 97 nights from me in less than 9 months.

This year I already have 103 nights stayed at Marriott properties, with only 1 stay and 3 paid nights at Hilton properties.

Our company has actually taken a negative stance against staying at Hilton because we viewed the action they took as a negative, and the points and miles people collect are considered part of the overall compensation package for our employees that are forced to travel.

From June 1st, 2011 to May 31st 2012 our company paid for 2,318 hotel nights across all brands. 2,004 of those were at Hilton Properties. (This is the last full fiscal year for us before the devaluation, and our policy change.)

From June 1st, 2013 to May 31st, 2014 our company paid for 2,912 hotel nights. With only 87 in Hilton properties.

Does anyone else have similar experience on a personal level to me, or with the company they work at?
Old Jun 3, 14, 10:06 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
I don't travel for work anymore, and I don't plan my personal travel around reduced point offerings from Hilton. I think that almost every major player has devalued; it's seems similar to the airlines, "domino" effect.

Hilton is still the best program out there for my personal travel, so I tend to look more for Points + Cash (P+C) options to help soften the blow.

OT, but I don't understand why a property shows availability for an all points stay but not P+C? Seems to me that if a points stay is available, it should ALWAYS include the option of either all points or P+C.

On a more positive note, have you seen this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...on-points.html ^
Old Jun 3, 14, 10:17 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
The devaluation really pisses me off, but what pisses me off even more is that Hilton continues to cut our benefits while requiring more nights/stays from their members who actually stay in their properties, while giving out status more easily via credit cards and fast tracks.

I could live with the deval if they would guarantee me a late checkout like Hyatt and SPG does and if they would save upgrades to the club/exec floors and suites for diamonds like Hyatt does. It really pisses me off when I read the gold upgrade thread and see that gold's who have status through a credit card are getting better upgrades at the same properties I stay at. Also irritates me that there is no lifetime status.

If Hilton is going to devalue their points like this and require more stays, then ADD benefits, don't take them away.

I have been dual diamond with Hilton and Hyatt for quite some time based on stays and this year I am making no effort to maintain the status at Hilton. I will simply put $40,000 in spend on my Hilton credit card and will have the status for lounge access when I am overseas and when there is no other choice but to use a Hilton for domestic office travel. My paid stays are going to Hyatt and SPG this year where they appreciate the loyalty more than Hilton.
Old Jun 3, 14, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Just wait till they outline the VIP perks at the new brands. I have a gut feeling they will be lame.

Also still pissed at the point devaluation and mostly the cut back in standards in the lounges.

No useful HH rep still on here after saying over and over it was coming.

There is a few sweet spots around but over all the good ol' day are over.

Not if the product got better and they jacked the rates for reward nights that would be on thing, but over all many hotels are cutting back. How about getting some standards at the doubletree brand (a cookie should not be the only standard)
Old Jun 3, 14, 12:24 pm

I still stay at Hilton properties. I compare what hotels are available and at what rates, and I go with whatever I like. Consumers don't really understand loyalty. They do what makes sense to their bottom line, and if some other brand decided to provide better incentives, they would either jump ship, or demand dues for their loyalty from the brand they were supposedly loyal to. The sad part is, when the consumer is disloyal, he/she is praised for their saavy. When a company decides to cut costs for the benefit of the company, they are evil and greedy. The truth is everyone on both sides want better value. Nothing personal, it's all just business.
Old Jun 3, 14, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...vel-increases/

Revenue for the three months ended March 31 was $2.34 billion, up from $2.26 billion a year ago and matching Wall Street expectations.

The improvement was driven by a 6.6% increase in revenue per available room (RevPAR) and franchise fees. It also continued to expand its timeshare fleet, with EBITDA expanding by 44% to $85 million.

Citing confidence for the rest of the year, Hilton raised its fiscal 2014 adjusted earnings outlook to between 64 cents and 67 cents, above the consensus view of 60 cents.

CEO Christopher Nassetta said the company sees strong global RevPAR growth with systemwide comparable RevPAR growing by as much as 7%. It also continues its aggressive expansion, opening more than 9,000 new rooms in the first quarter, and getting approved for a total of 15,000.
So much for "the mighty force of FT will make 'em pay for what they've done".
Old Jun 3, 14, 1:44 pm

No difference at all.
Old Jun 3, 14, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
After being Diamond for many years I'm placing less emphasis on picking Hilton properties to maintain status. I'm splitting my stays between Hilton, Marriott and the occasional something else. I'm using my HH points at places that still treat me decently -- there are a few. But I'm guessing that may have more to do with the fact that I'm a repeat customer there and not because of Diamond status.

I've learned that if I want a nice room I need to book it and not hope for upgrades, especially on award nights. So I pay for the room. If I'm going to do that then there's no reason to give priority to Hilton.

I have to laugh when I see 250 My Way points post for a Hampton Inn stay. Some Hamptons are giving both the points and snack. I think they must realize how little the points are worth.
Old Jun 3, 14, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...vel-increases/

So much for "the mighty force of FT will make 'em pay for what they've done".
"The mighty force of FT" is here to help folks to make an informed decision. It sure helped me a lot. I dont want hilton to go out of business - we need competition but i am not going to give them my $ either as I get much better treatment, perks and value elsewhere.
Old Jun 3, 14, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
My spending patterns have changed, but it's more due to my new employer's contracts that do not seem to be very brand-centric. For example, we have one Marriott property in EWR with a great rate. Most other towns we don't have any Marriott rates, but IHG and Radisson we seem to have good rates. Rather than being a Plat Marriott and/or Gold Hilton now I'm going to end up being 2nd tier in about 4 programs because of my company's hit and miss hotel contracts.
Old Jun 3, 14, 9:15 pm

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
During 2013, I was able to more equally split my stays between Hilton and Marriott and was Diamond/Platinum respectfully. This year, due to some corporate rates my company has, and the MISERABLE affordable properties in Waikiki in the Marriott brand (Courtyard Waikiki, I'm looking at you!), I have already made Diamond plus some at Hilton and only have 21 nights with Marriott.

When I am not in HI, I check Hilton and Marriott rates wherever I travel. 9 times out of 10, the Hiltons price out significantly cheaper. So, I stay with Hilton. For instance, this week I am at the Doubletree Club at SNA for $139 and the Courtyard across the street was $199. Don't even get me started that my normal Doubletree here at SNA (not this "club" DT) is not participating in this quarter's promo...

So.. I guess for me, if the prices and availability were the same, I would be sending most of my business to Marriott. But I can't justify the price differences just for the sake of getting Marriott nights just to spite Hilton.
Old Jun 3, 14, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I stay at more Hiltons than I did before, I'm actually on track to make Diamond for my first time ever this year. Yes, the devaluations suck, but Hilton has so many promotions in which I earn an insane amount of points it doesn't feel that painful, at least not for me. Plus, I'm treated very well as a Gold.
Old Jun 3, 14, 9:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Everyone on here acts like anybody cares that they take their business elsewhere. You take your 120 nights to another chain.. someone else comes over to Hilton because their waffles at the Marriott in Billings Montana were too soft.
Old Jun 3, 14, 9:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by poser View Post
Everyone on here acts like anybody cares that they take their business elsewhere. You take your 120 nights to another chain.. someone else comes over to Hilton because their waffles at the Marriott in Billings Montana were too soft.
Well apparently your waffles were not correct this morning!
Old Jun 3, 14, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
I decided to forego HH Diamond after about 10 years and settled for Gold in 2013.

I am maintaining HH Gold with 20 stays in 2014, whereas I have increased my SPG stays and nights to reach 50 nights for the 10 SNA for the first time.

I have not used my HH points since devaluation, but the few times I checked, the premium points were ridiculous.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: