Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was your first Hilton stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Probably The Drake in Chicago when I was a little kid tagging along with my dad on a business trip, though I don't think it was under the Hilton umbrella then, so maybe it doesn't really count.

Maybe it's just because I only remember some bad properties in the late 80s / early 90s, but it seemed like a lot of Hiltons were getting threadbare. The one in downtown SYR was pretty rough, but it had friendly hookers down in the bar. Seriously!

One time I had a room at the ORD Hilton connected to the terminal with a rectangular dirt halo on the wall where a picture used to hang. The carpeting and furniture were straight out of 1974.

Other than the random crappy DT, it seems like things have really turned around.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:52 pm

Nagoya Hilton Feb 2014.

It was my first time vacationing around Japan (Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Yokohama) and decided to stay in their Japanese suite. Man.. It was was bigger than my place in Korea.

I loved the authentic look of the room. The tatami mats, shoji (paper) screens/doors, tea set, and cotton kimonos (yukuta). Try one of their Japanese futon beds if you ever need a good nights sleep. Also, loved that the bathroom and bathtub/shower areas were totally separate from one another. All the employees were helpful as well.

Since this was my first impression of the Hilton brand, I don't know if its fair to compare it to US Hilton hotels.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by stanj
It would have been in the mid-60's. Probably the London Hilton, but could have been the Berlin Hilton or Hong Kong Hilton.
The mid-60's in Berlin: the Berlin Hilton has been built in 1990 and opened as "Dom Hotel" geared to "international clientel" visiting the German Democratic Republic (it was one of those 'Interhotels'). The Dom Hotel has been rebranded as Hilton Berlin after the political changes when Germany has been re-united. And that was in 1992.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Zurich
The mid-60's in Berlin: the Berlin Hilton has been built in 1990 and opened as "Dom Hotel" geared to "international clientel" visiting the German Democratic Republic (it was one of those 'Interhotels'). The Dom Hotel has been rebranded as Hilton Berlin after the political changes when Germany has been re-united. And that was in 1992.
Hmm, is this incorrect?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eira_buildings

Says that there was a Hilton built in Berlin in 1958. Supposedly the Who stayed there in 1966:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Moon

Appears that it is now the Intercontinental:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterContinental_Berlin
or:
http://www.google.com/translate?hl=e...inental_Berlin

Last edited by aztimm; Jun 14, 2014 at 9:27 pm
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by Zurich
I was talking about the old Berlin Hilton on Budapester Str, not the current one. Picture at bottom of this web page:

http://projects.vanartgallery.bc.ca/...international/

Now an Intercontinental as aztimm pointed out. I loved this hotel and it's iconic design. Spent (or misspent) a large part of my youth hanging out there.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Palmer House

Late '80's(not sure it was Hilton then): used to do concerts, club, early AM breakfast, then check in about 4:00AM, but for the current day! Then request late check out, total time in hotel would be about 36 hours!
My parents(bless 'em)had their honeymoon at this property.

Lobby ceiling still looks like Michealangelo painted it.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by stanj
I was talking about the old Berlin Hilton on Budapester Str, not the current one. Picture at bottom of this web page:

http://projects.vanartgallery.bc.ca/...international/

Now an Intercontinental as aztimm pointed out. I loved this hotel and it's iconic design. Spent (or misspent) a large part of my youth hanging out there.
Sorry! I was too much geared into today. The IC has been built and opened as one of those 'typical' Hilton hotels. I stayed in the original wing once (when it has long since been and IC and extensively extended with new wings) and do regret that it is no longer a Hilton hotel. A lot of old charm from days past.
There were some moments of hope when the Intercontinental Group planned discontinue the IC few years ago.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:48 am

New Diamond - First Hilton Stay

Hi all, I recently stay matched to Hilton Diamond and will be doing my first stay in a few weeks at the Hilton Melbourne (South Wharf).

Anything I should know? Want to maximise my status (lounge, upgrade, breakfast etc). Anything I should know?

Check in on my phone or do it there?

Thanks
Old May 21, 2016, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Do it there. If they don't offer an outline of benefits extended to Diamonds (the 'You can take breakfast in the lounge from 6AM to 10AM' kind of thing), prod them.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:45 am

first experience with hilton

We visited 3 hiltons in the netherlands
garden inn leiden -hilton soesterduinen -hilton schiphol
The last was the best in breakfast buffet and proactiv doorman
rooms was soesterduinen the biggest and very nice
Staff was at every hotel welcoming and friendly
Welcome was standard thank you for your loyalty and direct upgrade
Do you need assistance with your luggage ?
Points were on my account in 24 hours and more then aspected
Check in and out was very fast .
Soesterduinen put the bill under the room door the day that we left so we could check before we went too the reception
makes everything a lot faster at checkout
a another observation was that there were always at least 2 staff at the reception and not behind in a backoffice
For us was this a tryout in chancing hotel chain, definitiv a positiv result and makes our decision for 2020 easy to make
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:33 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I changed my primary program from Accor to Hilton 3 years ago and have no regret. I found the entire experience more pleasant and generally more predictable. The benefits are always delivered and the properties in Europe are good. I just think that Accor lacks some characters, the experience is always somewhat soulless, contrary to some Accor hotels in Asia which are very personable.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:54 am

fransknorge
i wish i had the wishdom to do the same last year
i keep fairmont marrakech and thats all from Accor i keep
one year plat and then propably gold
greetings cornelis
hotel_user likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:49 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Arrow Let Us Reminisce During the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Pandemic

My first stay at a hotel property under the Hilton portfolio of brands — I believe — was the Oshkosh Hilton when it still existed; but I do not remember off-hand in what year that occurred...

...but I do remember that Hilton as a lodging company was nowhere near as good as it is today — but it was still enough to lure me away from Marriott, which used to be my first choice.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Hilton Chicago airport: avoided all Hiltons for the next 5 years or so
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Hilton Blackpool 2004 I believe, was on tour and playing a local venue and the promoter payed for us to stay here.
Looking back it was pretty average but at the time I didn’t stay in many great hotels and thought it was awesome........ I returned in 2010 whilst working freelance and traveling alone....... I had to fund this myself and strangely it seemed mediocre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.