Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious service at check-in

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP

There were two things that happened to me during check-in yesterday for a 4-night stay that were a bit puzzling. I am curious to know if anyone else has received similar service from Hilton. FYI, this was at a full Hilton-branded hotel.

1. The agent told me that there was "space available" if I wanted to upgrade to the executive level for $25. I'm HH Gold, and have been upgraded to this same executive level before with no charge, much less even any acknowledgement from the agent. I asked him to clarify: $25, or $25 per night? It was per night, and I politely declined.
2. A short time later, the agent said "you will earn 1,000 bonus points on this stay" which I thought was odd, but okay. He handed me my room keys and I politely asked about breakfast vouchers for gold members. He replied that since I had chosen to earn 1,000 bonus points I could not get vouchers. I told him I had not chosen to receive the 1,000 points, and that I was sure my HH profile says that I prefer breakfast over points. He took the points off and gave me 4 vouchers with no trouble.

It was a very polite experience overall, but both of these events just seem suspicious to me. First he tried to upsell me (instead of upgrading, when there presumably were rooms available), and then tried to give me points instead of breakfast (when my choice is, and always has been, breakfast).

Anyone experience similar? Is Hilton getting stricter with upgrades and/or actively trying to reduce complimentary benefits?
Old May 19, 2014, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What was the FDA's response when you asked why he was charging rather than providing a freebie?
Old May 19, 2014, 12:51 pm

Welcome to the 2012 improvement.

How have Gold and Diamond member benefits improved in 2012?

Gold and Diamond HHonors members will now automatically receive complimentary room upgrades on a space-available basis at Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, and DoubleTree by Hilton™ hotels as a standing benefit. In addition, Diamond members will also receive both 1,000 HHonors Bonus Points and complimentary Continental breakfast, and Gold members will choose either 1,000 HHonors Bonus Points or complimentary Continental breakfast.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by Often1
What was the FDA's response when you asked why he was charging rather than providing a freebie?
I didn't ask why he was charging vs. upgrading as the upgrade didn't matter that much to me, anyway. After I declined to pay the extra $25/night he said something along the lines of some guests demand to be upgraded right at check-in (so their response is to charge for all upgrades? I don't know).
Old May 19, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
The clerk was right, you only receive 1K points or two breakfasts per day, but if your my way was set for breakfast, he could have told that at check in. That is strange.

On the upgrade could be a couple legit explanations. Was the Exec Level more than one level up from what you booked? While a lot of hotels will do more than one level up, Hilton is stingy with their policy and both diamonds and gold's only are entitled to be upgraded one level up.

Another reason could be that there were diamond's that hadn't checked in yet. If the property has three exec rooms that are unsold and three or more diamonds that haven't checked in yet, those three rooms should go to the diamonds when they check in over a gold who checked in first. The hotel clerk may have been trying to do a nor-1 type situation and was willing to give it to a gold who was willing to pay to be upgraded.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: VA Gold, HH Gold, Europcar PE, Accor Gold
I am gold HH, if that offer was made to me in Australia I would jump at it. Two drinks in the executive lounge and you have already got your $25 back.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by bakerm
I am gold HH, if that offer was made to me in Australia I would jump at it. Two drinks in the executive lounge and you have already got your $25 back.
Plus one.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Based on the title i was thinking a scantily clad young lady was offering you a massage at check in .
Old May 20, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Based on the title i was thinking a scantily clad young lady was offering you a massage at check in .
Old May 20, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
I just looked at this thread in a whole new way.
Old May 24, 2014, 3:50 am
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Nah, that only happens in BKK!

Old May 24, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P

Maybe the $25 would have gone right into his own pocket? I believe this situation is worth reporting to the hotel manager and HHonors. So there was space available but you did not receive the exec room upgrade?
Old May 24, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
Maybe the $25 would have gone right into his own pocket? I believe this situation is worth reporting to the hotel manager and HHonors. So there was space available but you did not receive the exec room upgrade?
Unless OP was paying cash, probably rather difficult for the clerk to pocket the $25 per night don't you think?
Old May 24, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I am a Diamond, have had similar situations when checking in at both Hampton and HGI - 250 points in place of the treats, 1k points in place of the breakfast. Despite the choice in my way profile, they have asked in a less straightforward way, trying to get me to take the points instead of the benefit.
Old May 24, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by dh01
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman

Unless OP was paying cash, probably rather difficult for the clerk to pocket the $25 per night don't you think?
True, but from what I read here it seems quite common for instance in Las Vegas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.