Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Any Reason to Bring Elite Status Card?

Old May 18, 14, 10:48 am
Original Poster

I've been gold for a while. Every time I go on a trip I always think about bring my gold elite status card, and then I figure I don't want yet another card clogging up my Costanza-esque wallet.

Is there any reason to bring this card anywhere? Presenting it at checkin seems to be unnecessary, as my status should already be in their system. It seems to me like a waste to even print the cards out. But maybe I'm missing something I guess the same question can be said for all other "elite status" cards, including airlines...
Old May 18, 14, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I never carry mine and I have never been asked to show it. I only carry an airline card if I'm flying international as I might need it to access partner lounges.
Old May 18, 14, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
There are only two reasons to carry a Hilton card -- if you need their phone number or your Hilton number.

I once put one in my wallet and the next time I looked at it was when the replacement card came and that effort involved throwing the old one away.

<lol>

Bob H
Old May 18, 14, 12:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
There are only two reasons to carry a Hilton card -- if you need their phone number or your Hilton number.

I once put one in my wallet and the next time I looked at it was when the replacement card came and that effort involved throwing the old one away.

<lol>

Bob H
Put those two numbers in your cell phone directory and those two reasons go away!
Old May 18, 14, 1:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
I made Diamond last year and never received my Diamond card.
Old May 18, 14, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by poser View Post
I made Diamond last year and never received my Diamond card.
I called beginning of the year, they told me they don't send out physical card anymore. However, I received the card the following week in mail
Old May 18, 14, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
I normally present my card as my way of checking in. Something like: "Hello, I have a reservation. Here you are ..."

You have to identify yourself somehow anyway, and it makes sure that they don't miss my (Diamond) status. Of course it is in the system, but it brings it to the agent's attention straight away.
Old May 18, 14, 5:45 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Fly2Where View Post
I called beginning of the year, they told me they don't send out physical card anymore. However, I received the card the following week in mail
For others who want a card and don't get/haven't gotten one, you can order one by going to "My Profile - Personal Information" in your online HHonors account and clicking on the "Send me a membership card" link in the HHonors Number and PIN section.
Old May 18, 14, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
After I first dropped to Gold back in 2011 I carried my Diamond card with incorrect expiration date... it got me Diamond perks about 50/50. Now I keep my number stored in Google Wallet even though I have it memorized.
Old May 18, 14, 8:38 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Fly2Where View Post
I received a diamond card with a deck of playing cards and a book of card games in a nice packet in the mail last week. My expiration date was March of 2016 and several other diamonds have reported receiving the same.

With a prebooked reservation, the only city I have ever needed the diamond card at was in Vegas. The old LV Hilton use to require you to show your diamond or gold card at the buffet and if you wanted to go to the VIP lounge you had to show the diamond card. At the Tropicana they use to allow you access to the VIP line at the Breakfast buffet with your diamond card and I have had them ask me for my diamond card before when using the VIP lounge. I haven't stayed at the trop since they changed the breakfast, but it is my understanding that it expedites things if you have your gold or diamond card with you.

I have a passport case with my passport and all my frequent flyer cards in it I always have in my backpack. It has helped me a couple times having the physical card in my possession when my flights have cancelled and the airport puts me up at a Hilton property overnight to give to the front desk clerk so I can get the free wifi and breakfast
Old May 18, 14, 8:53 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I was stuck recently in MSP and called the airport Hilton. I mentioned I was a gold member and the front desk was able to look it up immediately and use my profile to confirm the booking. I was surprised how quick they found it. FYI, decent airport hotel with a nice breakfast in the club room. Excellent service all around.
Old May 18, 14, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbams View Post
I normally present my card as my way of checking in. Something like: "Hello, I have a reservation. Here you are ..."

You have to identify yourself somehow anyway, and it makes sure that they don't miss my (Diamond) status. Of course it is in the system, but it brings it to the agent's attention straight away.
That's a great point and I hadn't thought about it like that.
Old May 18, 14, 11:19 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
That's a great point and I hadn't thought about it like that.
Yup he's right......I do the same, say hello, introduce myself and hand 2 cards - diamond card and credit card.
Old May 18, 14, 11:28 pm

I carry my card, but in a business card holder with my other FF cards. I have a coworker who will make reservations for multiple rooms in his name, then we split at checkin. Although the contrast on the balloon diamond card is not great, I figure it's easier to hand them that card for them to get my number entered.
Old May 19, 14, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla View Post
Yup he's right......I do the same, say hello, introduce myself and hand 2 cards - diamond card and credit card.
Why would you have to show your credit card, isn't it on file? If I had to guess maybe 30% of the time I have to show a drivers license or passport, rest of the time I just introduce myself. Front desk always says thank you for being a Diamond member and hands me my room assignment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: