Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Account Hacked" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hilton Honors Account Hacked" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Just a heads up to everyone, my account was hacked.

I received an award reservation confirmation email for the Hilton in Rotterdam costing 80,000 points, of which I of course did not make a reservation for. The funnier part was the confirmation was not in my name.

When I called Hilton, they seemed to straighten everything out over the phone. I received another e-mail from guest assistance asking if there was anything else they can help with, but the e-mail was addressed to whomever made the false reservation. Hilton even confirmed that I had called in to make the reservation, but for someone else. The credit card to be held for incidentals was also not one of my own. I just found it interesting that they addressed the e-mail to the fictitious person rather than me even though it was my account number.

Luckily, the confirmation e-mail was sent to me, and I read it within minutes because the reservation was for the same night I received the e-mail.

Just a word of warning for everyone to keep an eye out on your accounts. I have to have a new HHonors account created with everything (points, gold status, etc) rolled over to the new account so hopefully it won't be a huge headache. So far though, Hilton has been pretty easy to work with in the matter.
This hacking crap is getting scary now...
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It doesn't matter. All you can do is add a password, but the PIN login stays functional. So even if you start using the password yourself, the still-active PIN remains the weak link.

Hilton would have to change it at their end (like Delta just did in recent months) to totally replace the PIN with only a password.

(And while Delta has gotten rid of PINs for online login, UA and BA still have them, and they're undoubtely not the only ones besides Hilton.)
PINs are a weak link in security that needs to go away. There just are not enough permutations. One thing I now have is a different PIN for all of my PIN-based travel accounts. It is a pain, but it's better than using the same PIN for everything.

But I wish Hilton would discuss this, explain what is going on. Are they being targeted? Why? Since they appear to be making everyone whole, I think they seem to be responding correctly to fix hacks, but some guidance would be nice.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Use of HH account info to log into wifi is a problem

It just occured to me (as I was logging in) that Hilton has a huge vulnerability in its security of HH account access and security by the way most Hilton family hotels have Gold and Diamond members enter their HH Account # and PIN (and room number) in order to get the free WIFI promised to G/D members.

This has to mean that the HH access information for its highest using members is either being stored by all the local ISP's or is being passed back and forth by local ISP's to/from some master Hilton data base.

Moreover, there is not even any CAPTCHA protections or anything. In fact there are not even and mechanisms for stopping access attempts after a certain number of tries. I know this because after I changed my HH PIN I forgot that I and tried about 15 times to log into WIFI acount a few months ago before I realized I was entering my old PIN and not my new PIN.

There are all sorts of ways this is a vulnerability that needs to be fixed.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
It just occured to me (as I was logging in) that Hilton has a huge vulnerability in its security of HH account access and security by the way most Hilton family hotels have Gold and Diamond members enter their HH Account # and PIN (and room number) in order to get the free WIFI promised to G/D members.
That sounds like a ridiculous way to do it. The front desk should know who is what status by room number. At Marriott, the WiFi only requires your first and last name and room number, they automatically look up your status on your reservation from that and give you the internet free based on that, without you ever having to provide your Marriott Rewards acct number or password.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
In the Hiltons in Europe that I have experience with, you are only asked to enter your name and room number.
I have never been asked to enter Hhonors number or pin code.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by helosc
In the Hiltons in Europe that I have experience with, you are only asked to enter your name and room number.
I have never been asked to enter Hhonors number or pin code.
That may be the case. I cannot remember what I had to do for my Euro Hilton visits last year. But in the U.S. it is definately the norm that you enter all that data to get Gold/Diamond free WiFI benefit

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That sounds like a ridiculous way to do it. The front desk should know who is what status by room number. At Marriott, the WiFi only requires your first and last name and room number, they automatically look up your status on your reservation from that and give you the internet free based on that, without you ever having to provide your Marriott Rewards acct number or password.
That is how it used to be at Hilton. Something changed. I think it was about 2 years ago and is now widespread that you provide all of your Hh account access information.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
I pointed out the 4-digit PIN issue back in 2013 and this is the useless response I got.

Dear Mr. Eng,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding account PIN numbers. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

I apologize but HHonors does not have an option to disable PIN based logins however you may change the PIN as often as you like.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us. For immediate assistance, please click on the link below for the contact number of the Hilton Worldwide Service Center location nearest you.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/support/index.html.

Best regards,

John H.
Diamond Coordinator
Customer Care Email Department
Hilton Reservations and Customer Care
www.hiltonworldwide.com
United Airlines is another company that "replaced" 4-digit PINs with passwords, but don't provide users the ability to disable PIN login.

IHG is even worse, they support a 4-digit PIN only.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW

This has to mean that the HH access information for its highest using members is either being stored by all the local ISP's or is being passed back and forth by local ISP's to/from some master Hilton data base.

Moreover, there is not even any CAPTCHA protections or anything. In fact there are not even and mechanisms for stopping access attempts after a certain number of tries. I know this because after I changed my HH PIN I forgot that I and tried about 15 times to log into WIFI acount a few months ago before I realized I was entering my old PIN and not my new PIN.

There are all sorts of ways this is a vulnerability that needs to be fixed.
If wifi signin page ever asks for HH Number AND pin do not continue. Hotels can not valdate your HH pin so would not ask. Any signup screen asking will be a rogue hotspot masquerading as Hotel wifi in attempt to steal your account ! I would not even be happy entering HH MemberNumber.

Normal wifi signin is Surname+room_number, or a voucher code
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
If wifi signin page ever asks for HH Number AND pin do not continue. Hotels can not valdate your HH pin so would not ask. Any signup screen asking will be a rogue hotspot masquerading as Hotel wifi in attempt to steal your account ! I would not even be happy entering HH MemberNumber.

I disagree, almost all Hilton chain hotels in the US are now requiring you to enter your HH#, PIN and room number in order to claim free Gold or Diamond Free WIFI. It is not a roque hotspot, it is the way Hilton is doing business now.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by scubaccr

Anybody good enough to set up a rogue hotspot and hijack a wired connection doesn't actually need to steal information retail from me.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:16 am

The funniest part about the whole "PINs are not secure" discussion is that this is probably just the most glaringly obvious problem. Think about it this way: they have demonstrated they do not value security over convenience. Fine. Let's also consider that the PIN you enter is checked against a database. How do you think that database is secured by an IT department such as this one? Do you have confidence they properly salt and hash (=scramble) your personal information or would you guess that it's all right there and if someone happened to find the database file it would be trivial to read it?

The Hilton website is a lot scarier than you might already think.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:35 pm

> Do you have confidence they properly salt and hash

No. None. Non. Nyet.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by pandablood

The Hilton website is a lot scarier than you might already think.
Okay except I am not even talking about the Hilton website, I am talking about individual hotel websites for their wifi system.

If all of those individual hotel wifi websites are taking in everyone's HH account number and PIN and doing something with it to verify that its the correct PIN for that HH# then we go from being scary to being horrifying.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Just a heads up to everyone, my account was hacked.

I received an award reservation confirmation email for the Hilton in Rotterdam costing 80,000 points, of which I of course did not make a reservation for. The funnier part was the confirmation was not in my name.

When I called Hilton, they seemed to straighten everything out over the phone. I received another e-mail from guest assistance asking if there was anything else they can help with, but the e-mail was addressed to whomever made the false reservation. Hilton even confirmed that I had called in to make the reservation, but for someone else. The credit card to be held for incidentals was also not one of my own. I just found it interesting that they addressed the e-mail to the fictitious person rather than me even though it was my account number.

Luckily, the confirmation e-mail was sent to me, and I read it within minutes because the reservation was for the same night I received the e-mail.

Just a word of warning for everyone to keep an eye out on your accounts. I have to have a new HHonors account created with everything (points, gold status, etc) rolled over to the new account so hopefully it won't be a huge headache. So far though, Hilton has been pretty easy to work with in the matter.
I just checked my account and guess what.. Yup.. The same thing. 80,000 for a hotel in MCO. I live in Sweden. They had my name and account #. They change the email address to a yopmail . These emails are for 1 time only deal. They changed my address to a intersection. They used a different cc# ,thank God.
Called Hilton and they had to start a case file.. Let's see what happens. I lost GOLD as well... At least I'm a patient man
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Flyiboy
I just checked my account and guess what.. Yup.. The same thing. 80,000 for a hotel in MCO. I live in Sweden. They had my name and account #. They change the email address to a yopmail . These emails are for 1 time only deal. They changed my address to a intersection. They used a different cc# ,thank God.
Called Hilton and they had to start a case file.. Let's see what happens. I lost GOLD as well... At least I'm a patient man
Hilton's silence on this is annoying me a lot. So far i think everyone has been made whole. If there is anyone outthere frustrated with Hilton's resolution I would like to hear about it.
But, even with the Captcha tech they have added for log ins still leaves other issues. Like my point about they allow all hotels to acquire HH# and PINs and compare them for WIFI access. Sure maybe so far they make everything better when somebody hacks, but it is a hassle that can be fixed. But everyone seems so acceptive about this. You would think every Hilton Honor member in FT would be commenting and mad about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.