FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   When do they take the money? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1551824-when-do-they-take-money.html)

Adjmeister Feb 14, 2014 8:23 am

When do they take the money?

Hi,

I have booked a 3 night stay under the promotion of any weekend anywhere which gave around 33% discount and was a no cancellation rate.

I thought that they take the money at the time of booking if not shortly after, however its been about well over a month now and still no money has been taken. Is this normal?

Thanks for the assistance.

Adj

tkelvin69 Feb 14, 2014 8:37 am

I've had both immediate payment at booking and payment at check-out done for non refundable rates.

paul4040 Feb 14, 2014 8:43 am

A few bookings I've made recently on rates that require a deposit -

Bradford Hilton: taken within 24 hours of booking
DT Leeds: taken two days before checkin
DT Newcastle Airport: taken about a week before checkin
Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor: not taken until checkout via card swipe done at checkin

I stay regularly at the Grosvenor so I'm not sure if it's because I'm a regular and trouble free guest (usually with nothing on folio too) that they didn't charge before I arrived.

All reservations tend to go straight to the hotel front desk, I think, and it's up to the individual hotel to then debit you at their convenience.

Hilton seem to be very trusting; I take advantage of a lot of discounted rates too.

Adjmeister Feb 14, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks for the quick response.

Much appreciated!!

Regards
Adj

lifetimeblue Feb 14, 2014 9:27 am

Had hugely varied experiences. Very much down to the hotel.

Maybe something to do with the size of the booking also? e.g. booked a 2 bed suite for 4 nights in Surfers Paradise Aus, they were taking the money within a week of making the booking - booking was months away.

Higher risk booking might be taken sooner, rather than later?

jerry a. laska Feb 14, 2014 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Adjmeister (Post 22348009)
Hi,

I have booked a 3 night stay under the promotion of any weekend anywhere which gave around 33% discount and was a no cancellation rate.

I thought that they take the money at the time of booking if not shortly after, however its been about well over a month now and still no money has been taken. Is this normal?

Thanks for the assistance.

Adj

If in the US, it's usually pretty quick, at international properties it seems there is quite a bit of variation.
See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...whom-when.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ent-taken.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...e-rates-5.html

helosc Feb 15, 2014 9:34 am

Also dependent on the country, I think
When I once inquired about payment for a stay in Hilton Gdansk, Poland, the answer was that for fiscal reasons the hotel wasn't allowed to charge money prior to the stay.
At the moment, I also haven't paid yet for a stay in Hilton Athenee palace Bucharest that I booked in December.

FlyerTalker7654 Feb 16, 2014 12:45 am

Hilton NRT does not take money till you get the hotel, even on an advanced purchase rate!! ^

russ1h Feb 16, 2014 12:55 pm

As mentioned above it varies from hotel to hotel. Just checked into the Hilton olympia and payment was taken on check in on public sector rate

paul4040 Feb 17, 2014 12:51 am

I wonder if they also check your booking history.

For example, if they can see you've stayed 30 nights this year and never had a problem with billing then I expect they'd be more willing to let you settle during the stay than in advance.

Daveyb101 Feb 18, 2014 5:10 pm

I booked via the same promo. Payment was processed by the hotel about 11 days after booking. Stay is in June. I got the sense it was a manual process, which could explain why the timing seems to vary from property to property.

OskiBear Nov 4, 2014 10:40 am

I've noticed this a couple of times and have a current reservation with the Conrad in London with the same situation.

Question - my partner is actually going to be checking in on this reservation and I'd like to make sure they charge my card and not his. Do you know if they don't charge the pre-paid until check-in, will they still charge the card used for the reservation? Versus the card at check-in for incidentals?

ChinaShrek Nov 4, 2014 10:54 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 23790431)
I've noticed this a couple of times and have a current reservation with the Conrad in London with the same situation.

Question - my partner is actually going to be checking in on this reservation and I'd like to make sure they charge my card and not his. Do you know if they don't charge the pre-paid until check-in, will they still charge the card used for the reservation? Versus the card at check-in for incidentals?

Are you checking in at different times or is he the only one checking in? If the later, I bet that they will charge his card. If the former, then he can just tell them at check-in to charge your card.

IsleOfMan Nov 4, 2014 11:50 am

A recent stay (early-October '14) at SLS Las Vegas, booked on Hilton.com, stated that it would require a deposit (1st night) but it was never charged. Same res made directly with the property DID have a deposit charged, but was refunded with cancellation (after BRG claim was approved). Both cases were refundable with 24-hour notice.

bmanchester Dec 1, 2014 2:45 am

This has affected me too, i booked an advance rate hotel on the 20th November and stayed on the 23rd of November and they still havent charged me for the booking, i paid for an upgrade at the desk and the staff member told me he needed to take payment for the upgrade as he didnt have any card details on the system.

Issue is ive had my wallet stolen in the week and cancelled my cards which has been a nightmare therefore how are they going to take payment? would you suggest contacting them?