Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ESP}

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ESP}

Old Jul 6, 20, 8:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Only problem with Diagonal Mar is, if I recall, the pool is not free right? And is essentially a party pool?
I understand that the pool is free but premium sunbeds (close to the pool) are not. Apparently there are free sunbeds further away from the pool. PuroBeach (the party pool concept) is only open (according to their website) Fri-Sun and we will be there Sat-Fri so I guess we will make the best of it. And the beach is only minutes away...
Old Jul 6, 20, 9:34 am

Would you pick it over the Curio if the Curio werent so tight?

Have you heard about the lounge? Is it moved to the bar or the voucher?
Old Jul 6, 20, 9:50 am

Would you pick it over the Curio if the Curio werent so tight?

Have you heard about the lounge? Is it moved to the bar or the voucher?
Haven't stayed in any Hilton property in BCN yet even though I have been in BCN many, many times. I asked them by email what is offered at the moment. I will post any updates.
Old Aug 5, 20, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Delectatio View Post
Haven't stayed in any Hilton property in BCN yet even though I have been in BCN many, many times. I asked them by email what is offered at the moment. I will post any updates.
Did you hear back regarding Diagonal Mar? Perhaps your trip is underway?
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:02 am

Did you hear back regarding Diagonal Mar? Perhaps your trip is underway?
Was supposed to leave this Friday but canceled everything (Barcelona being a red zone now, I can't afford to go in quarantine for 2 weeks on my return with my job...) but this was their reply:

"Thank you for choosing our hotel for your next holidays.

Is the executive lounge open at the moment? If not, is there any alternative offered to Diamond members?

Regarding the Executive Lounge due to the covidi19 it is not available until further notice a drink and appetizer will be offer at the pool bar instead.
Can you also tell me if breakfast is served in the restaurant currently and under which form (buffet, table service)?

The Buffet is closet at the moment. A tray with cold cut will be serve in a breakfast place and any hot food can be requested to the staff."
Old Aug 6, 20, 12:33 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by Delectatio View Post
Was supposed to leave this Friday but canceled everything (Barcelona being a red zone now, I can't afford to go in quarantine for 2 weeks on my return with my job...)
If Spain had Belgium's zone system, Antwerp would be a red zone too...
Old Aug 6, 20, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
If Spain had Belgium's zone system, Antwerp would be a red zone too...
I know, that's where I live 😕
Old Jun 30, 21, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Hotel has a disclaimer of "Please note we are a small boutique hotel. The complimentary upgrade for Gold & Diamond Hilton Honors members is subject to availability. Maximum occupancy per room is 2 people and 3 for Junior Suites/Suites. Due to safety regulations this may not be exceeded."... anyone been here in the last... year or so? Considering going as Diamond in December...
Old Jul 1, 21, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Hotel has a disclaimer of "Please note we are a small boutique hotel. The complimentary upgrade for Gold & Diamond Hilton Honors members is subject to availability. Maximum occupancy per room is 2 people and 3 for Junior Suites/Suites. Due to safety regulations this may not be exceeded."... anyone been here in the last... year or so? Considering going as Diamond in December...
If this is your first visit, you will probably get a basic room. There is a "Honors floor" to qualify as an upgrade for Hilton T&Cs.

On my third and fourth stays this year I started to receive a junior suite. It was during lockdown and with borders essentially closed, so the hotel wasn't full at any time...
Old Aug 9, 21, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP HH DIAMOND IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND
August Stay

Second stay. Four days as my previous one was just one day. I am not sure about the overall experience and I would only stay again if the price is low and I need nights for my status. Pre Covid summer rates were usually over 200 euro. Now it can be booked for 110euro.

Positives:
Location - Not near Las Ramblas but walkable distance. Close to Gracia within the example and 5 minutes walk of two of Casa Batlo and Pedrere.
Breakfast is buffet and plentiful for European standards in the after Covid time. Good quality products (like serranoham, Spanish sausages and cheese)
Staff - I found the staff 's attitude was much better than my previous stay. Maybe it was lockdown and lower occupancy. My limited interaction last time left me thinking the staff attitude was very poor.
The hotel building (but see comment about the rooms) is nice and overall feels reasonable upmarket.

Negatives:
The rooms. They need a refurbishment and the lay out of some are not great. I was upgraded to a junior suite which had a strange lay-out. The bathroom was split in three VERY separate areas. The sink was part of the living room/bedroom, the toilet was near the entrance and the shower was a cubicle in the room. Who would think this was a good idea is beyond me! It was room 117 as a datapoint.
The main mirror had a huge affirmation phrase that made you look at yourself in it actually quite difficult.
The overall level of noise in the room. Hotel rates are currently affordable and travellers are typically younger which brings some partying and noise to the rooms/hotel. Room noise isolation is not great and there are odd noises like plumbs (probably structural issues)..
Not the hotel's fault but there is a curfew in place for Barcelona where everything closes at 12.30 and people should not transit after 1am.

Overall the intercontinental group has better options. The comparable Indigo (now closed, hopefully it will reopen when tourism is back in full force) is better located and the rooms are much nicer. As a spire ambassador, I was always upgraded to executive level.

EDITED SUBSEQUENTLY TO ADD: As of 18 August, the Indigo is open again,.

The ex CP (reopening in September as an I/C) was a solid hotel. Looking forward to staying in it as an I/C

I have not stayed in the Kimpton but I heard good things.

The Hilton diagonal is just too far-away and the location of the Hilton barcelona in Corts 'does not suit me plus it does not have a pool as it is more of a business hotel.
SPBanker, Sisosig and aakaa like this.

Last edited by palermo; Aug 19, 21 at 12:32 am Reason: to update that the Indigo has opened this week
Old Aug 23, 21, 12:16 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Very decent price/quality ratio, excellent location

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

C. de Mallorca, 251 Barcelona, Spain ES 08008

Very decent price/quality ratio, excellent location (2 Photos)

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

1 / 4

Check In

Check-in was fast, Diamond benefits were explained, but then I was offered an apology because they could not offer an upgrade. (The hotel was fully booked for the weekend, I did check).

Room

The room was maybe 30 square meters, quite reasonable size. Especially the bathroom felt quite big. There was only walk-in shower, no bathtub. In addition to the king-size bed there were two chairs and desk plus low table. And a cabinet for the fridge, glasses, water boiler etc.

20210821_101630.jpg

20210821_101654.jpg

There is a small corridor to the door (or from the door to the room!), and you enter the bathroom from the corridor.

1_20210821_101622.jpg

At night we could occasionally hear people walking in the hallway, doors slam shut etc. But since our windows were to the yard, not a peep from outside. Let's say it would be nice if the sound insulation of the doors/rooms was a bit better.

Water pressure in the shower was decent, which I find quite important.

Dining

We had breakfast in the hotel for three mornings. Social distancing and masks still the word, seemed to work pretty well. Not a lot of stuff, but mostly everything was high quality. For some strange reason both orange and pineapple juices were quite bad, watery. Coffee, bread and pastries were excellent!

The location can't be beat. Just off Rambla, close to Diagonal metro station. Lots of things to see and great restaurants within walking distance. Many high-end shops close too for those so inclined. Of course pretty empty now with so many tourists still unable to travel.

It took slightly more than 20 minutes from the airport by taxi. Metro is also doable, but were not in the mood. Fare was slightly more than €30 in both directions.

Pool

The hotel has a pool in the courtyard. A SMALL pool. Less than 10 meters anyways, and depth... 80 cm. So one can sort of float around, and the water feels nice and all, but... The pool bar and the whole area was quite popular, though.

1_20210820_205519.jpg

Overall

We paid €145/night for reasonably-sized room in a very central location in what would have been one of the busiest weekends of the summer in normal circumstances. And as I said, the hotel was fully booked, and there clearly were tourists around. So price/quality ratio was OK. (Regarding number of tourists, some of the locals noted for them *this* number of tourists was much preferable to pre-covid crazy years, even if they themselves worked in hospitality industry. They missed big-spending Chinese et al., though. Two persons specifically noted "nobody misses stag and hen dos from England.")

Would I book the hotel again? WIth this price, yeah, why not, especially if I needed HH nights. But if something else is in the same price range...

Would you like to write a review on the Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton?

No, thank you.
Yes
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 2, 22, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 MM, HHonors Diamond
Any restaurant recommendations for authentic paella within walking distance of the hotel?
Old Apr 2, 22, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by taking flight View Post
Any restaurant recommendations for authentic paella within walking distance of the hotel?
Would recommend other cities outside of Barcelona and the Basque provinces for paella.

David
Old Apr 3, 22, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by taking flight View Post
Have sent you a PM
Old Aug 30, 22, 12:50 am

Programs: TK Elite
The property is currently 70,000 points (standard rate) or around 360 Euro (Hilton sale). Given the mixed reviews here, this property is worth it? I'm considering using points, 360 Euro/nt is far out of my range for a basic hotel room.

Add. info: Apparently this is a very busy Sept weekend in Barcelona (SAT to SUN); rates in general are very high and this property is close to sold out (the nearby Best Western on the same street was Euro 220/nt and is now sold out)

Search this Thread