Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ESP}

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton {ESP}

Old Nov 30, 18, 3:37 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Thanks for confirming the honors part. I had my # in the res, it is weird that points have not posted.

Good to hear someone got great treatment. I did not, and I was not expecting too much either, but some things went clearly BAD in my case such as cleaning lady rushing into room just like that, and the stingy unwillingness to hear customer at checkout.
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
Thanks for confirming the honors part. I had my # in the res, it is weird that points have not posted.

Good to hear someone got great treatment. I did not, and I was not expecting too much either, but some things went clearly BAD in my case such as cleaning lady rushing into room just like that, and the stingy unwillingness to hear customer at checkout.
Yeah Im very surprised they were like that, especially with the cleaning incident. Are you a diamond?
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Stayed here a couple of weekends ago.

Didn't receive an upgrade, but didn't expect one either (am HH gold, booked a deluxe twin). AFAICT I booked the highest category twin room available anyway.

My only real complaint centres around the bathroom: The extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work. I complained twice and they made zero effort to address it, even telling me upon my second complaint that they had no record of my previous complaint. Likewise I don't think housekeeping mopped the bathroom floor during my stay - there were footprints on the floor the whole time.

Received a full breakfast no problem. Was granted a late checkout but only by 1 hour.
Old Jan 14, 19, 6:31 am

Programs: Hilton,United,Hyatt
Looking for a 1 night stay pre-cruise in July. I know its a small hotel with limited upgrade possibilities, but no standard rewards on the calendar at all? Only premium rewards starting at 93,000 points. Is that the norm? Don't they have to offer some standard rewards?
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bmkj View Post
Looking for a 1 night stay pre-cruise in July. I know its a small hotel with limited upgrade possibilities, but no standard rewards on the calendar at all? Only premium rewards starting at 93,000 points. Is that the norm? Don't they have to offer some standard rewards?
Possibly, but they might already be booked or subject to blackout dates?

In any case, I know that next time I visit Barcelona I'll be staying at one of the other two Hiltons rather than the Curio.
Old Dec 2, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: QR Plat, RA, Oman Air Gold, HH Diamond
let me state how unimpressed I am with this hotel

great location but sad little rooms that smell like mildew and I was supposedly upgraded

the lobby looks halfway cool but other than that nothing special at all

my 2nd Curio hotel and both were a disappointment
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:18 pm

Programs: Skymiles (former DM), MileagePlus (Silver), Marriott Rewards/SPG Platinum (Lifetime Titanium)
Has anyone stayed in one of the "Modernist" suites at this hotel in the last 1-2 years? While I'm typically a Marriott/SPG loyalist I have some Hilton points built up and the suites look like they could be a decent value with either points or cash. (650 Euro for 3 nights in Jan for Adv Purchase Rate or 103K points per night)
- In particular, is there a completely separated bedroom from the living room?
- It mentions these are corner suites, how is the noise level?

The other option I'm considering is Le Meridian but I'm not sure I want to be right on Las Ramblas whereas this location seems like it could be the best of both worlds.

I would welcome any insight the FT community can provide!

RB
Old Dec 17, 19, 1:47 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by rabingham89 View Post
Has anyone stayed in one of the "Modernist" suites at this hotel in the last 1-2 years? While I'm typically a Marriott/SPG loyalist I have some Hilton points built up and the suites look like they could be a decent value with either points or cash. (650 Euro for 3 nights in Jan for Adv Purchase Rate or 103K points per night)
- In particular, is there a completely separated bedroom from the living room?
- It mentions these are corner suites, how is the noise level?

The other option I'm considering is Le Meridian but I'm not sure I want to be right on Las Ramblas whereas this location seems like it could be the best of both worlds.

I would welcome any insight the FT community can provide!

RB
Had a stay in a modernist suite last year, the bedroom is separated by sliding doors but they do form a completely separate room.
Noise is fine, we our room overlooking Rambla de Catalunya and there was no problem at all from there.

Very small hotel with not a lot of frills, but very friendly staff and a high quality breakfast - albeit a very small spread.

If you've never been to Barcelona before and need tips let me know, the hotel to me is amongst the best location in the city so would recommend it for that.
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:11 pm

All standard rooms blocked for redemption by hotel until June 2021. Not one night in a Guest Room to be found. June 2021 is that far out because the hotel didn't get around to blocking them yet. I'm sure in a few days that will be fixed.

You're forced to do a premium redemption. Standard rooms here are Twin Guest and Single Guest. Single is a con, a bit like Comfort Rooms at Aleph. At least Aleph don't block their standard room(s).

Other two BCN Hilton's are naturally wide open.

I've raised it. I wonder if Hilton will do anything about it?

Last edited by hugolover; Jun 29, 20 at 8:18 pm
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
All standard rooms blocked for redemption by hotel until June 2021. Not one night in a Guest Room to be found. June 2021 is that far out because the hotel didn't get around to blocking them yet. I'm sure in a few days that will be fixed.

You're forced to do a premium redemption. Standard rooms here are Twin Guest and Single Guest. Single is a con, a bit like Comfort Rooms at Aleph. At least Aleph don't block their standard room(s).

Other two BCN Hilton's are naturally wide open.

I've raised it. I wonder if Hilton will do anything about it?
Hilton Rio de Janeiro Copacabana, another not-that-impressive hotel, does the same: blocks all standard awards. Hilton knows and does nothing. I think that sends a message about hotel management more than anything, that is how it thinks of its customers (poor elite treatment, not allowing standard room awards even in low season). Yuck.
I stayed here when it was a Doubletree; it was getting renovated at the time, so most of the lobby was walled off and breakfast was in a side room on the second floor. As others have stated, the location is absolutely great; rooms and hotel are not impressive. If it's expensive I'd look elsewhere. If the price is right, the location is near tourist stuff but very near neighborhoods with amazing restaurants and shops.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:35 pm

You’re right: I got a message back saying that it must be due to the rooms being booked until June 2021. My frustration is understood blah blah blah.

Remembering the famous phrase, Hilton management are run by fools or the hotel has its own special opt out that the rest of the world can only dream about. When I next have a meeting with a property owner, I will remind them it’s perfectly fine to block all your standard rooms! Any sales manager will be licking his lips at the thought to finally get rid of HHonors redemptions a la Curio Barcelona.
Old Jun 30, 20, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Avoid at all cost

This hotel, the employees, specifically Sari, are absolutely horrendous. Hilton for that matter is basically dead to me.

I will leave my twitter convo with them below for you to judge for yourself, and yes, I lost my cool, but ...?! Long story short: In October and January before all the COVID debacle, I was looking at hotels for our trip to Barcelona in July. When I first booked our flights I booked a refundable AAA rate: https://imgur.com/XobnItm Then I found a better rate one Saturday morning in January and decided to book it just in case. About 3 minutes later I got an alert from AMEX that I had been charged. I thought that was strange so I went to my account and realized I had accidentally booked a non-refundable rate. So I know had a AAA refundable rate and a pre-[aid rate booked. I IMMEDIATELY called Hilton to try to correct that. See call log here: https://imgur.com/KYGRJcT

After talking to a very nice woman for not too long she told me that a supervisor had changed everything and I now had one booking at a flexible rate and she thanked me for being a Hilton Honors member. I said thank you so much, have a nice day and hung up.

A little bit later I came upon this review of the hotel:
https://travelupdate.com/alexandra-b...-hilton-curio/

After reading I decided, no, this wasn't for us. I booked a room at the Cotton House which we stayed at in 2017 and loved and a back up at the Edition which wasn't open yet in 2017.

I didn't realize it, but I got no cancellation number. But was never charged. I thought everything was good.

Fast forward to May 28, 2020. I get a $900+ charge from this hotel. WHAT?!

I reached out to the hotel and Hilton. Below is what ensued. I've deleted screenshots that show personal information and Spark email links that do the same.

Another note: I NEVER book via 3rd party in order to receive HH benefits

:

Alexandra Barcelona Hotel just charged me $956.64 for a canceled reservation. Cancellation #15921XXXXX.
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/28/20, 8:13 AM

pic.twitter.com/andHdmn5Dq
Hilton Honors (Hilton Honors)
5/28/20, 8:15 AM

Hi Jxxx, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please let us know the email address and phone number on the reservation so we can look into this. -Alex
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/28/20, 8:17 AM

[email protected] and 702-XXX-XXXX
5/28/20, 8:19 AM

Thank you for the reply, Jxxx. Please let us know the email address on the reservation so we can look into this. -Alex
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/28/20, 8:21 AM

It’s right up there. [email protected]
5/28/20, 8:23 AM

Thank you for the reply, Jxxx. We have reached out to the hotel and have asked hotel management to follow up. They have up to 7-10 business days to review and reply. -Alex
5/28/20, 8:25 AM

Thank you for those details, Jxxx. We have created a case for you and the case number is 6720XXXX, for your records. The hotel has up to seven business days to review this case and reach out to you. We appreciate your patience and if we can help with anything else, please let us know.-Jen
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 6:49 AM

Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 6:52 AM

This is incorrect. On January 11 I mistakenly made a prepaid reservation. I called immediately. Spoke to someone who changes it to refundable. There are records. Also, as Spain is currently not allowing US citizens, this should fall into the new cancellation policy.

5/29/20, 6:52 AM

Regrettably, we're unable to view the link you provided. Let us know if we can assist further. – Jxxx

5/29/20, 6:56 AM

Thank you for the additional information, Jxxx. I have advised the hotel staff of this note. Please know that the global waiver does not extend to Spain based on their travel policies. However, that’s beside the point if you spoke with someone that changed your reservation to non-refundable as that’s not indicated anywhere on the reservation details. Do you happen to have any documentation of the conversation that we can share with management at the property? – Jxxx

Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 6:58 AM

It was a direct phone call to Hilton on January 11.
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 6:58 AM

It was not changed to non-refundable. This is absurd.
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 7:00 AM

Please show me where this says “except for Spain”
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 7:00 AM

“Throughout our booking channels you’ll see changes to our cancellation policies that allow flexibility due to COVID-19. At this time, we’re allowing all reservations made from now – June 30, 2020 to be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours (local time) before scheduled arrival.”

Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 7:02 AM

And here is an email from April 27
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 7:02 AM

(Screent shot removed)
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 7:06 AM

This person is being a dick. There will be a charge back coming from AMEX if this is not remedied. The email above Clearly states “JXXX, your reservation has been canceled. We know that flexibility is important to you during this time. That’s why we’ve adjusted our policy so that reservations can be changed or canceled free of charge, up to 24 hours prior to your arrival date. Whether you’re traveling now or in the future, our flexible booking options and team members are ready to welcome you with the Hilton hospitality you’ve come to expect. We are doing everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Due to the influx of cancellations, we estimate it will take up to 30 days to complete your request. Cancellation # 15921XXXXX Stay Dates: Jul-21-2020 - Jul-26-2020”
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 7:06 AM

https://imgur.com/2OpWaCp

5/29/20, 7:13 AM

Thank you Jxxx for getting us this information. We will be reaching out to the hotel on your behalf and requesting that they refund you for this reservation. We will also request they follow up with you and work to follow through on the refund process. -Calvin
5/29/20, 7:21 AM

Hello Jxxx, after further review we need some additional information. Can you please send us a copy of the credit card statement showing the charge in question. We will issue you a refund form the corporate offices to be mailed out to the address on your Diamond account. We will need to present this information to our accounting department as we do not have access to the hotel billing records. We look forward to hearing from you and getting this matter completed for you. -Calvin
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/29/20, 8:13 AM

It still showing as pending. I will forward once it posts. (Credit card statement photo deleted)
5/29/20, 8:45 AM

Thank you. We will await this documentation. If, for whatever reason, you are unable to share this in a photo format, please email us the documentation at [email protected]. Kindly be sure to reference your GA case #67202221 in the subject line. -Traci
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/31/20, 7:09 AM

(AMEX app screenshot deleted)
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/31/20, 7:09 AM

(AMEX app screenshot deleted)
5/31/20, 7:28 AM

Thank you very much for the screenshots, Jxxx. In doing some research, I noticed that you had two separate reservations booked for the property. One of them under confirmation number 315704XXXX was canceled with the number you provided. The reason you received a charge was because the other reservation for the same dates under confirmation number 317423XXXX was booked as non-refundable, hence the reason you incurred the charge. I’m very sorry this was not caught previously. I am escalating this to my management team to see how we need to proceed as the hotel did nothing wrong in this instance. The canceled reservation appears to have been booked by a travel agent or coordinator while the non-refundable reservation was booked online the same day, though no travel agent information is included in the reservation details. At any rate, as stated, I’m going to bubble this up to my managers to see what’s the next step. I will get back to you as soon as I have an answer. I appreciate your patience. - Jxxx
Jxxx (Jxxx)
5/31/20, 7:34 AM

I do t know how many times I have to explain this. I made the reservation online at Hilton.com. I accidentally chose a prepaid rate. I called IMMEDIATELY and spoke to a woman who went in and chcanged to refundable. At least that’s what she told me. Check the call logs. This is ridiculous. I’m not paying for a reservation I can’t make because of this stupid Coronoavirus!
5/31/20, 7:41 AM

Jxxx, thank you for your additional feedback. We have provided these details to the management team as well. Someone will be in contact with you to discuss further. Thank you - Fran
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/5/20, 8:13 AM

Can I get a status update on this? The hotel is refusing to provide a cancellation number for reference. I don’t appreciate being forced to pay $900 for a trip I can’t take all because I’m an early booker. And that is still besides the point. I was assured via phone that the reservation had been changed from pre-paid to flexible.
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/5/20, 9:51 AM

And then I get this? How was I supposed to know there would be a global shut down of ever economy way back in January?? (Screenshot with personal info removed)
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/8/20, 11:22 AM

Ok then.
6/8/20, 11:37 AM

My apologies for the lack of response to your DMs sent on June 5th, Jxxx. We’ve only just now received them. To update you in this matter, the hotel is aware of the issue with the two bookings, in addition to the fact that a cancellation number is not generated for non-refundable reservations. They are working internally toward a resolution. The case sent to the hotel was created on May 28 and we will allow management 10 business days to review and respond to you directly. Please follow-up with us this Friday, June 12th, if you have not heard back from their team. We greatly appreciate your patience and hope for a favorable outcome. - Jxxx
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/12/20, 7:28 AM

It’s Friday. Nothing. It’s mind blowing that you can’t do the right thing. pic.twitter.com/jiirxzivtp
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/12/20, 7:34 AM

And this @$$hole is just lying his face off.
Jxxx (Jxxx)

(NOTE FROM ME: THE AAA REFUNDABLE RATE I BOOKED IN OCTBER WAS NEVER CANCELLED “LAST YEAR” AND I HAVE ALL THE EMAILS AND AWARD WALLET UPDATES TO PROVE IT)

https://imgur.com/OX20UTz

Thank you for getting back with us, Jxxx. Again, I am sorry for the delay with your refund. Our hotels are doing their best to issue approved refunds as quickly as possible. I have raised your concerns for action on this outstanding refund. We are committed to resolving this for you, and you can rest assured that you will receive a refund. We thank you for your continued patience. - Jxxx
Jxxx (Jxxx)

https://imgur.com/QSZXAWw

(NOTE-PLEASE NOTE THE 7:44AM TIME STAMP ON THIS EMAIL AND THE 7:49AM CALL TO HILTON)

Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/12/20, 7:36 AM

I’ve never seen anything handled so poorly.
6/12/20, 7:58 AM

Hello Jxxx - We are truly sorry for any frustration this has caused. We have shared further information with the hotel regarding the extended dates covered by our Global Waiver. We have asked that management at the hotel review the updated Global Waiver and provide you with a refund. We would also recommend responding to the email you received. We are confident that you will receive your refund and we appreciate your patience. Kind regards. -Chantel
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/12/20, 8:28 AM

I assure you, unless you’ve directly talked to Sari in the last 45 minutes, he/she does not care.
6/12/20, 9:14 AM

Hello Jxxx - We will make the hotel aware of the extended Global Waiver. We ask for your continued patience while we work with them regarding your refund. -Chantel
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/12/20, 11:37 AM

I already did. Sari basically told me to pound sand. I’m one day away from burying that property on Flyertalk. It’s absurd.
6/12/20, 12:37 PM

Hello, Jxxx. We just tried to call the Alexandra Barcelona Hotel, but nobody answered. Please know your money will be returned to the payment source and we understand how inconvenient this delay is. Thanks for hanging in there with us, we are your Hilton advocates who have helped guests in similar positions get their refunds. -Robert
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 2:37 PM

This is STILL not resolved
6/30/20, 3:17 PM

Jxxx we are so sorry to hear of any delay and we would like to look into this for you, we see that we have communicated with you previously. Due to the gap in time since our last conversation we will need to re-verify the details of the concern in question. Please provide the confirmation number and email address associated to the booking so we can review the case details for you and hopefully provide a positive update for you. -Christopher
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 3:19 PM

(SCREEN SHOT REMOVED)
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 3:21 PM

(SCREEN SHOT REMOVED)
Jxxx (Jxxx)

(SCREEN SHOT REMOVED)
Jxxx (Jxxx)

(SCREEN SHOT REMOVED)
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 3:24 PM

(SCREEN SHOT REMOVED)
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 3:24 PM

The fact that you don’t have a history of this conversation is concerning.
6/30/20, 4:32 PM

Hello Jxxx, Thank you for the requested information. Please allow us to look further into your case, and we will get back with you shortly. We appreciate your patience. -Kira
6/30/20, 7:48 PM

Hello Jxxx, Please accept our sincere apologies for delay in response. After reviewing your case, regrettably, the hotel is unable to issue a refund for reservation 317423XXXX. Since your stay was booked and cancelled on January 11, this date is not covered under our Global Waiver policy. Your request for a refund was sent to hotel management in hopes that they would make an exception, and we’re truly sorry that this is not the outcome you expected. Please note that our cancellation policies changed on March 12 due to the situation with Covid-19. Any cancellations made prior are not eligible for refund, as your reservation was cancelled on January 11. The new policy covers existing reservations made before March 12; however, the cancellation must not take place before March 12. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and we appreciate your understanding. Warm regards. -Kira
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 7:52 PM

Seriously, F you guys.
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 7:52 PM

Read this first paragraph out loud to yourself. ” (SCREENSHOT REMOVED)
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 7:54 PM

“Please know” (SCREENSHOT REMOVED)
Jxxx (Jxxx)
6/30/20, 7:54 PM

So kick rocks Kira and kick rocks Robert. Hope you all get furloughed.

(LIKE I SAID. I LOST SH*T AFTER THIS MONTHS LONG DEBACLE)

kyushuman likes this.
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:03 am

Hotel closed through to 31 AUG.
Old Jul 6, 20, 7:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Melia Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Hotel closed through to 31 AUG.
It was still bookable yesterday for August. But I guess there weren't many bookings coming in (not surprised when I read about the way they treat their guests...). I have a 6 nights points booking for the Diagonal Mar in August. I hope we will be able to go...
Old Jul 6, 20, 8:02 am

Only problem with Diagonal Mar is, if I recall, the pool is not free right? And is essentially a party pool?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: