The honors queue at check-in?

Old Jan 6, 14, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond
The honors queue at check-in?

Hi guys, is it just me or is it completely pointless to have I little roped area with a little red carpet for elites???.....it is always unmanned or just used by everyone.....I can't see the point, i've only used uk Hiltons but is it the same everywhere?....opinions please?
Old Jan 6, 14, 8:55 pm

Nothing really here to have an opinion on. If it's faster using another line, then use it. Seems pretty straightforward.
Old Jan 6, 14, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
Nothing really here to have an opinion on. If it's faster using another line, then use it. Seems pretty straightforward.
yeah fair comment......not quite what I was asking, let me try again......is it pointless or not ( I think its pointless, for the record)
Old Jan 6, 14, 10:59 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by wizla View Post
Hi guys, is it just me or is it completely pointless to have I little roped area with a little red carpet for elites???.....it is always unmanned or just used by everyone.....I can't see the point, i've only used uk Hiltons but is it the same everywhere?....opinions please?
I have seen the same happening almost everywhere, so a bit pointless unless they enforce it, which I do not think it will happen.

In theory Diamonds can check in the lounge, providing there is one, but I only do it when they tell me at the reception to do it there.

At the Hilton NY and W/A NY, and probably also in some other hotels, they have a totally separated area for Diamonds to check-in, which does a lot of sense because both are very large properties and the cues for check in can be really long.
Old Jan 7, 14, 2:09 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I think it is pointless.
I have seen it in all Hiltons (mainly continental Europe) I have been to, in one form or another, I think.
I just go to the first available receptionist and I never have to wait long.
Old Jan 7, 14, 3:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
It depends on the hotel. At the Brum Metropole on New Year's Day at midday there was a mahoosive queue of punters checking out, but the HHonors roped off bit only had one other person waiting there, so I joined that.

At less busy times, it's not manned. If the hotel is doing it right, the roped off area should be manned whenever a sizeable queue starts to form.
Old Jan 7, 14, 4:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, RR Platinum
@wizla

sorry about some of the less useful replies here. I find the roped off check-in area reasonably useful at a number of properties, to circumvent any queues.
Old Jan 7, 14, 6:08 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Seeing a roped-off check-in area in whatever Hilton hotel I check in, the same question crosses my mind. Thank you, wizla, for putting it.

To set up such an area must be part of the regulations. However, to have this area manned with a receptionist must not, since I find it in 99% unmanned, too.
Old Jan 7, 14, 6:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver Hilton Diamond
I think it varies - as was said above if there is a long queue then its often worth joining - its for any member though I think not just silver, gold etc so in effect anyone could use it. So my opinion not always useless!!
Old Jan 7, 14, 9:07 am

As a guilty English person (most of us feel guilt for no reason most of the time) I don't bother as I don't want to me seen as "pushing in". I stay at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole on a weekly basis and I've only "pushed in" to the Hhonors checkin maybe 3 or 4 times when I've had a cr*p day at work and really can't be bothered waiting to crash out.

On one of those occasions someone waiting did shout "there is a queue!" to which the check-in agent answered for me with "Mr Pryonic is a valued Hhonors member - you can sign up while checking in when you get to the front of the queue". That did raise my bad mood slightly!
Old Jan 7, 14, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pryonic View Post
As a guilty English person (most of us feel guilt for no reason most of the time) I don't bother as I don't want to me seen as "pushing in". I stay at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole on a weekly basis and I've only "pushed in" to the Hhonors checkin maybe 3 or 4 times when I've had a cr*p day at work and really can't be bothered waiting to crash out.

On one of those occasions someone waiting did shout "there is a queue!" to which the check-in agent answered for me with "Mr Pryonic is a valued Hhonors member - you can sign up while checking in when you get to the front of the queue". That did raise my bad mood slightly!
haha...thats exactly how i feel when in that situation.....i feel like im pushing in!.......i guess its an english thing?
Old Jan 7, 14, 10:33 am
une

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Most of the time when I check in there are only 1 or 2 people in front of me, so no big deal. When I went to the Palmer House in Chicago in December, the check-in line on a friday was quite long and I was grateful for the HHonors check-in shortcut.
Old Jan 7, 14, 10:43 am
Original Poster

i always feel a bit cheeky doing this......i guess its acceptable?
Old Jan 7, 14, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
I always use the line, as I deplore standing in them and avoid it whenever possible. While I do sometimes feel a bit of guilt, I am very efficient with my check-in and don't need any additional hand holding, questions, etc so thus am usually very quick. The one that peeves me a bit, is at a couple of airport locations where they have dedicated crew lines. I once stood in the Hhonors line for several minutes waiting while they had multiple people working the airline crew line. Normally not a huge deal, but it was after midnight local time and 3:00am on my clock; I just wanted to get to bed!
Old Jan 7, 14, 1:03 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
If it is just a regular HH line, I think they are a waste.

I like the properties where they have a dedicated diamond only line. Most Hyatt's have a dedicated line for Plats and Diamonds (and will take the next person in the general queue if there is no one in line) and that line moves fast.

I wish Hilton would make the HH lane for diamonds only and if there is no one in that line take the next guest in the general queue

Search this Thread