FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Where should Hilton free night certs appear when logged into Honors? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1536538-where-should-hilton-free-night-certs-appear-when-logged-into-honors.html)

moretimeoffguy Jan 1, 2014 5:14 am

Where should Hilton free night certs appear when logged into Honors?

I met the spend several weeks ago on my Citi Hilton Reserve, yet don't see the two free weekend night certificates in my Hhonors account--I'm looking under My Points and other areas that seem to make sense.

Where I should be seeing free night certs when the post?

Citi claims I've met the spend and it's now up to Hilton for the certs to post. Hilton has pushed me back to Citi.

Hasn't been a full 8 weeks yet, but was hoping for fasting posting than the stated 6-8 weeks.

Mostly I want to be sure I really did meet the spend before the 4 month mentioned in the T&Cs arrives.

MoreMilesPlease Jan 1, 2014 6:25 am

I received an email from Citi with the certificates. Do you read all the Citi emails they send?

moretimeoffguy Jan 1, 2014 6:52 am

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease (Post 22061173)
I received an email from Citi with the certificates. Do you read all the Citi emails they send?

Thanks. So the answer is never to expect to see these free nights appear in my account. No, I've not seen any email from Citi regarding free night certificates. But it's possible I've missed one. Don't recall if Citi has a Secure Message option like Chase, but I suppose that's my best option at the moment--to ask for a re-send via SM?

moretimeoffguy Jan 1, 2014 6:56 am

Citi does have a Secure Message capability

Checked and just sent Citi a Secure Message regarding my free night certs. Hopefully they'll respond soon as I might like to make a booking.

restlessinRNO Jan 1, 2014 12:07 pm

I recently received the two free night certificates, from my new Citi HHonors Reserve VISA Signature credit card. But I had to wait a while. When I phoned, I was told I would get them with the next billing cycle after I qualified. They came by email from HHonors.

moretimeoffguy Jan 1, 2014 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 22062631)
I recently received the two free night certificates, from my new Citi HHonors Reserve VISA Signature credit card. But I had to wait a while. When I phoned, I was told I would get them with the next billing cycle after I qualified. They came by email from HHonors.

Thanks Restless. Sorry you had to wait. Citi responded, telling me to expect the nights 6-8 weeks from the date which I met the spend on (for me, mid-December was my spend date).

Glad to know they send the nights via email so I can monitor my in-box and spam folder. I wrongly assumed I'd see them online based on how my free (Chase) Hyatt nights arrived (I can indeed see them in my Gold Passport account).

HansGruber Jan 2, 2014 8:37 am

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 22062903)
Thanks Restless. Sorry you had to wait. Citi responded, telling me to expect the nights 6-8 weeks from the date which I met the spend on (for me, mid-December was my spend date).

Glad to know they send the nights via email so I can monitor my in-box and spam folder. I wrongly assumed I'd see them online based on how my free (Chase) Hyatt nights arrived (I can indeed see them in my Gold Passport account).

This has caused some confusion for a lot of folks, the email is from HHonors and has the certificate IDs you will need when booking. I got mine pretty quickly but it did take a few weeks. Some folks on here have waited the full 6-8 weeks though.

drewdawg199 Jan 2, 2014 10:19 am

Fyi hhonors "should" see them on your account. I didnt even have to give them cert numbers to make my reservation. But dont risk it, find the certs and keep a hard copy!

moretimeoffguy Jan 2, 2014 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199 (Post 22068312)
Fyi hhonors "should" see them on your account. I didnt even have to give them cert numbers to make my reservation. But dont risk it, find the certs and keep a hard copy!

Thanks Hans and Drew.

Drew, must the free night stays be booked over the phone? When you refer to Hhonors seeing them, I'm assuming you dealt with a customer service rep to do the reservation.

So there's no place to add a certificate number online if you attempt to book that way?

Need Jan 2, 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 22070166)
Thanks Hans and Drew.

Drew, must the free night stays be booked over the phone? When you refer to Hhonors seeing them, I'm assuming you dealt with a customer service rep to do the reservation.

So there's no place to add a certificate number online if you attempt to book that way?

Not Drew, but I had the same experiences with them. The Citi certs were only in emails. They don't show up anywhere online, but when I call HH, the rep could see the certs and could use them when I asked him to. I don't have to tell them the numbers. So the short answer is that they are on your account, but you cannot see them! :p

moretimeoffguy Jan 2, 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Need (Post 22070255)
Not Drew, but I had the same experiences with them. The Citi certs were only in emails. They don't show up anywhere online, but when I call HH, the rep could see the certs and could use them when I asked him to. I don't have to tell them the numbers. So the short answer is that they are on your account, but you cannot see them! :p

Thanks Need! :-)

restlessinRNO Jan 2, 2014 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 22070166)
... must the free night stays be booked over the phone? When you refer to Hhonors seeing them, I'm assuming you dealt with a customer service rep to do the reservation.

Once I received the email from HHonors giving me the two Reward Certificates, I then phoned to make a booking, weekend night. ( I of course tried to think of the most expensive Hilton hotel I wanted to stay at. :) )

moretimeoffguy Jan 4, 2014 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 22072479)
Once I received the email from HHonors giving me the two Reward Certificates, I then phoned to make a booking, weekend night. ( I of course tried to think of the most expensive Hilton hotel I wanted to stay at. :) )

Thanks again restless. Will aim for a Cat 9 or Cat 10 property for maximal redemption value when the time comes. :-)

moretimeoffguy Jan 5, 2014 11:49 am

Check free night availability without already having certs?

Since I may not receive my certs (by emai)l before I need to book flights for a particular trip, is there any way to check free night cert availability with having the certs in advance? Or are there no actual blackout dates for standard award rooms? In which case I could just check hotel availability for the dates I'm interested to gauge likely availability when the certs do come in--no guarantee, but more of a comfort factor.

Award travel (flights) can be expensive to change or rebook. But the trip is also predicated on having those free nights available to me when I want them. So it's a bit of a Catch-22.

What do folk advise in this situation other than waiting for the certs to arrive before booking flights? Coming up against a Hyatt situation as well, e.g. many 22K properties go up in cost after midnight tomorrow--and using Hyatt free nights is part of my strategy for this trip, in addition to Hilton free nights.

moretimeoffguy Jan 5, 2014 3:05 pm

Might Hilton give me a courtesy hold on a two night stay until my certs arrive? I have Gold status--but so do lots of others.

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 22089124)
Since I may not receive my certs (by emai)l before I need to book flights for a particular trip, is there any way to check free night cert availability with having the certs in advance? Or are there no actual blackout dates for standard award rooms? In which case I could just check hotel availability for the dates I'm interested to gauge likely availability when the certs do come in--no guarantee, but more of a comfort factor.

Award travel (flights) can be expensive to change or rebook. But the trip is also predicated on having those free nights available to me when I want them. So it's a bit of a Catch-22.

What do folk advise in this situation other than waiting for the certs to arrive before booking flights? Coming up against a Hyatt situation as well, e.g. many 22K properties go up in cost after midnight tomorrow--and using Hyatt free nights is part of my strategy for this trip, in addition to Hilton free nights.