Search

Requalifying for Gold - dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Requalifying for Gold - dilemma

There are a few nights left for me to requalify for Gold this year. I am currently at 18 stays. I originally had 2 more stays planned out this weekend, but a sudden passing of a friend's daughter has caused a change of plans.

Do you think HHonors might give me the extra night due to these circumstances?

FYI - I was fast tracked to Gold in 2012. I requalified for 2013 but only realised then that I didn't have to do my stays as my status is valid till 2014. So now in 2013, I am trying to requalify.

I may be able to book a stay on Monday (30th) to check in by 3pm and out at 1am as I have to leave for the funeral then. Change of plans meant rebooking my Christmas stays in Liverpool.

Thank you.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Dec 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe. But, if you want to be sure, you can do a local matress run. In other words, book at the closest property and spend the night there rather than at home.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
Isn't it possible to make the reservation under your name and add an additional person, and that person would check in, and you would get the credit? Maybe a friend or family member would do it for you. If you did it publically you'd have to be very trusting that the person would not order a bunch of movies or damage the room. The Hilton in Parsippany, NJ is 55.20 GBP ai for checkin on 12/28. And I live near there
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:45 am

If you have a version of the AMEX Platinum card you can get gold status through the end of 2014 just by calling - regardless of whether or not you even have a HHonors account already. You must call by the end of 2013 to have them set it up.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goods312
If you have a version of the AMEX Platinum card you can get gold status through the end of 2014 just by calling - regardless of whether or not you even have a HHonors account already. You must call by the end of 2013 to have them set it up.
Nope.

Don't have amex.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe. But, if you want to be sure, you can do a local matress run. In other words, book at the closest property and spend the night there rather than at home.
I will have 19 stays after tomorrow's stay.

I was going to do an award stay at the Liverpool John Lennon airport Hampton Inn today.. but as things are going on right now... with personal family and friends' agenda, I couldn't even tear myself away for a couple of hours to do this phantom stay.

There isn't time for me to book a stay on Dec 31st... considering where I am going to be, there isn't a HH property nearby. Its going to be a night of quiet meditation with friends' family who are still in mourning.

So it looks like I will be calling into HHonors customer service desk and begging for the extra stay to requalify. Do you think they will allow?

Old Dec 29, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: BA gold UA MM
Mile point were offering Hilton Gold until February 2015 with membership. $50 I think, which would be cheaper than a mattress run! I did call them last year as I was a couple of hundred points off re qualifying and they allowed it.

Good luck!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by goods312
Do you call AMEX or HHonors?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I will have 19 stays after tomorrow's stay.

I was going to do an award stay at the Liverpool John Lennon airport Hampton Inn today.. but as things are going on right now... with personal family and friends' agenda, I couldn't even tear myself away for a couple of hours to do this phantom stay.

There isn't time for me to book a stay on Dec 31st... considering where I am going to be, there isn't a HH property nearby. Its going to be a night of quiet meditation with friends' family who are still in mourning.

So it looks like I will be calling into HHonors customer service desk and begging for the extra stay to requalify. Do you think they will allow?

You can ask. Based upon reports here they haven't usually been willing to waive the minimum requirements. You can't break away to go check in and then immediately leave and return home? If maintaining gold status is important to you then this is what I would do. Otherwise, if they say no, prepare yourself to ask for a fast track offer back to gold in April and doing the requisite number of stays at that time.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You can ask. Based upon reports here they haven't usually been willing to waive the minimum requirements. You can't break away to go check in and then immediately leave and return home?
Not during a friend's gathering .. and I have no car !

If maintaining gold status is important to you then this is what I would do. Otherwise, if they say no, prepare yourself to ask for a fast track offer back to gold in April and doing the requisite number of stays at that time.
But after all the panic .. and that was before the website stopped counting, it still showed my status and said that based on my stays this year, I will be Silver in 2014. So I knew I was off by one even after tomorrow's stay.

So I called and begged.. and spoke to a rather dry and humorless agent and after explaining my dilemma, she just said , " I see you're Gold till Mar 2015". Er , what?

So I don't know what to believe now...

Anyway, if I am downgraded.. I will follow what you just advised.. or stay at least 20 stays before end of March !

Thank you all for your help.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Weez
Mile point were offering Hilton Gold until February 2015 with membership. $50 I think, which would be cheaper than a mattress run! I did call them last year as I was a couple of hundred points off re qualifying and they allowed it.

Good luck!
This is now sold out though.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Amex Surpass now offers Gold Status with card for $75 a year. Not a bad deal.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by san888
Amex Surpass now offers Gold Status with card for $75 a year. Not a bad deal.
Except the OP is north of the border ...

Bob H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.