Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
can you buy club lounge access here if your room does not come with it?

ive also just booked 2 nights on free room certs for next March.

I wont have any status by next March unfortunately, unless I do a gold fast track thing in the new year
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Geoggy
can you buy club lounge access here if your room does not come with it?

ive also just booked 2 nights on free room certs for next March.

I wont have any status by next March unfortunately, unless I do a gold fast track thing in the new year
i'm sure you can, though who knows if it will be worth the cost.

i assume you got the free certs from the citi reserve card? if so you should have gold status from that. otherwise, amex platinum also offers free hilton gold status now.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by invalyd
i'm sure you can, though who knows if it will be worth the cost.

i assume you got the free certs from the citi reserve card? if so you should have gold status from that. otherwise, amex platinum also offers free hilton gold status now.
OP is based in the UK, and Plat doesn't get Hilton Gold here.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, IHG Spire Amb, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
The lounge in this place brings the tone down enormously. Think packs of shrieking wolves descending like vultures.

We stayed in Sept having previously stayed at WA Ras al Khaimah (no lounge) which we found infinitely more pleasurable.

Add to that dreadful construction work next door. I'd avoid this place for 6-8 months
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, LH SEN, TB Emerald
Don't be dissapointed when you arrive there, just got a mail from CS, no lounge access for diamonds anymore

As to your below email; Kindly be advised that a new policy will take effect (as of the 1st December 2015) due to the high demand of our Waldorf Astoria Lounge.

The lounge access is only applicable when making a reservation that includes the Lounge access such as:

Premier Rooms, Premier Suite, Waldorf Astoria Suite, Presidential Suite and Royal Suite.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by maxbluebrosche
Don't be dissapointed when you arrive there, just got a mail from CS, no lounge access for diamonds anymore
Hmm, that's too bad.

However it seems like there might be a bit of semantics and interpretation at play here. It mentions "premier rooms" as conferring lounge access. Looking at the property website, these seem to just be rooms that are physically normal but have been deemed "special" - aka what is normally called an executive room - and they come with access to the lounge. So I guess the questions that remain now are:

1) When the email says that "lounge access is only applicable when making a reservation that includes the Lounge access" do they mean that the booked room type must be one of those, or that the given room type would be one of those; and
2) How good is this property at upgrades?

I guess what I am saying is that if this is the same as just saying that only EL occupants get access but the property always puts Diamond on the EL, maybe it is not that big a deal.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I'm not chancing it. Cancelling my bookings.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador,
Just to add to all this I contacted the hotel when I made my booking Sep and they confirmed the following to me:

Thank you very much for your loyalty and as our valued Hilton HHonors Diamond member, you are entitled with the benefits below:

·Prioritize the upgrade to the next category upon availability at the time of check in
·Complimentary High speed internet during the stay
·Late check-out upon requested and subject to availability

· 1,000 points per stay
· 10% discount at the Mezzerie restaurant or Complimentary DVD player set up upon request and availability
· Complimentary Waldorf Astoria Lounge access upon to 1 additional guest, Lounge located on the 5th floor and available daily from 0700 to 2300hrs

Breakfast - 0700-1100hrs
Afternoon Tea - 1500-1700hrs
Cocktails - 1700-2000hrs

I will now be double checking to ensure I keep all of this as promised on the email confirmation.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by FDX Traveller
Just to add to all this I contacted the hotel when I made my booking Sep and they confirmed the following to me:
Yes, I reached out at the time of my booking as well and received a similar response. I re-opened the email thread with a reply to the property this morning (East Coast US time) asking whether this policy had been reversed. Will update if I receive a response/clarification.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'm not chancing it. Cancelling my bookings.
Please be sure to let them know why, so they connect the dots.

Doubt I personally will cancel because I would like to see this property and am staying at the PH and Conrad as well during the upcoming trip (so as to compare properties), but they should realize that it does not bode well for them to jerk customers around. They can change policies all they want going forward, but to reply things retroactively to existing reservations is just poor business and lacks decency.

While I know that some people have certain strong feelings about what I'm about to suggest, in this particular instance I do not believe that an email to the GM would be out of line.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 4:36 am

Update

So, I received this reply from the property:

Please be informed that as of 1st December 2015 we will be adhering to the Hilton HHonor Benefits for the Waldorf Astoria Brand which entitles our valued Diamond Hilton HHonor members to the following:

-Prioritized upgrade to the next category to the original room type booked, based upon availability at the time of check in, excluding Waldorf Astoria Suite, Presidential Suite & Royal Suite
-Complimentary high speed internet during the stay
-Late check-out upon request and subject to availability
-1,000 points per stay
-10% discount at the Mezzerie restaurant

Kindly be informed that complimentary Club Lounge access does not form part of the official benefits through Hilton Honours for the Waldorf Astoria brand.

The reason for this is that most of the Waldorf Astoria Hotels do not have Club Lounge facilities for the guests to utilise during their stay.

This is a Diamond member benefit for our other Hilton brands, however not for the Waldorf Astoria Brand.

As an alternative the following will be offered:

-Complimentary breakfast buffet at Mezzerie or a selection of breakfast items in Palm Avenue which includes one fresh juice, one hot beverage, one main dish as well as one side dish
Pure tripe of course, and requiring quite a bit of nerve given that this email was in a chain placed directly above the email where the same exact member of the property's staff had told me happily that they would be "granting Club Lounge access to all our valuable Diamond HHonors Members".

At least they are extending an olive branch (literally) in the form of the breakfast. It doesn't condone their odd behavior, but it's something I suppose. Of course, my instinct tells me that, once on property, the odds of anyone actually knowing what I'm referred to, and thus this benefit being honored, are low.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falcon Flyer Gold, Hilton Diamon, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador
This is very disappointing news. Had a wonderful stay here last month, upgraded from C&P booking to WA suite. Actually restored a little faith in the program but I guess it was just an anomaly. Maybe Hilton HQ told them they were being far too generous.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Marriott Titanium | Hilton Diamond
Also a bit disappointed because I have a nonrefundable stay coming up next month. The lounge access definitely played into me booking this place over other hotels.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by atlion25
Also a bit disappointed because I have a nonrefundable stay coming up next month. The lounge access definitely played into me booking this place over other hotels.
If you have any documentation of that (where you read about lounge access) I do not think that an email to management expressing your disappointment would be out of line. This is a supposed high end property (in a market full of high end properties) and they seem to think it is OK to play games with their customers. Well, it is not OK, and they should hear about it.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just finished a stay here as a Gold. No breakfast, lounge access is about $200 per day per person, and the resort is in the middle of nowhere (I knew that when I booked, so not too upset but still annoying). A corona beer bottle will run you about $14. I realize it's UAE and alcohol is expensive, but still there are better options. No hot water in the spa facilities when I went down there, jacuzzi was ice cold. The only ATM on site is out of order, I was told to catch a cab to the Atlantis to use an ATM. Not sure how they expected me to do that when cabs only take cash.

Unless you are using free night certs, I would most certainly stay at the Conrad instead where you can at least get free breakfast and lounge access. This place is hardly worth the money. I suspect they generate the majority of their revenue from upscale wedding parties.

Last edited by invalyd; Dec 2, 2015 at 11:19 am
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:07 pm

And just to pile on...note that they have added a warning on their web page that stays over New Year's Eve will be assessed a mandatory ~$500/person fee for their festivities...I knew that was common in SE Asia but didn't realize it was a "thing" in the UAE as well.

I'll be there for a single night later this month - on a free night cert - before moving to the Conrad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.