Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I think this amply illustrates the futility of trying to earn HH points. As far as I am concerned HH points are now virtually worthless. Devaluation is one thing but the frequent lack of standard redemptions makes the whole scheme too much of a lottery, hence almost all my nights go to Starwood and IHG.
^
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:51 am

Waldorf-Astoria The Palm Dubai - HH confirms no standard redemptions, ever

same scenario all summer at Hilton Quebec. very disappointing

Last edited by seychellesbound; Feb 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Seems the premium rates go as low as 65,343/night. Still doesn't excuse the lack of a standard reward redemption.
Odd things are happening here. If you do the maths on the 'premium room reward' vs the cash price, the value is substantially better than usual - roughly double.

This has changed in the last couple of weeks. Rooms for Easter dropped from roughly 320,000 points to 160,000 points per night, even though the cash price is the same.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
SPG does this too. Check out the Cottages at Sunset Key. No standard award availability, ever. The premium awards are usually insanely high (200K points per night+).

Rooms can be had for under $500/night.

Grass isn't always greener.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:47 am
Suspended

What is so special about this property anyway? Surely the Conrad will be just as nice???
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
What is so special about this property anyway? Surely the Conrad will be just as nice???
The Conrad isn't on the beach. It's a very "business" style hotel, right by the World Trade Centre.

The Waldorf is a sprawling resort with kids club, etc. Much more family orientated.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:29 am

Just booked this property for 80K points for a stay in November; didn't seem too pricey. Staying one night at Hilton Sharjah for 20K as we don't get in until close to midnight and then Waldorf. BTW, anyone know approximate taxi cost between two hotels? Taxi cost from Waldorf to port? Do they have water taxis that are reasonable?

thanks,

marc
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Marq
Just booked this property for 80K points for a stay in November; didn't seem too pricey. Staying one night at Hilton Sharjah for 20K as we don't get in until close to midnight and then Waldorf. BTW, anyone know approximate taxi cost between two hotels? Taxi cost from Waldorf to port? Do they have water taxis that are reasonable?

thanks,

marc
Your taxi from the airport to Sharjah Hilton will be about 70AED due to the 20AED Sharjah surcharge.

Coming back, I'd expect a fare in the region of 170 AED from Sharjah Hilton to the Waldorf.

Also, don't forget Sharjah is a totally dry Emirate. A bottle of duty free in your bag would likely go unnoticed, BUT is nonetheless illegal if you were caught.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by some dude
SPG does this too. Check out the Cottages at Sunset Key. No standard award availability, ever. The premium awards are usually insanely high (200K points per night+).

Rooms can be had for under $500/night.

Grass isn't always greener.
I don't think that is a very good comparison as that property is an all suite property (the cottages are multi-room suites sold as one, two, or three bedroom units). Therefore, SPG designates this property as a category 7 suite redemption. There are no properties in the SPG portfolio (EXCEPT for all-suite properties) that do not offer standard redemptions.

I will agree that Sunset Key Cottages are now a terrible reward redemption option. I was lucky enough to grab a five night redemption at Sunset Key after it joined SPG and before it changed to a category 7 with an all suite redemption policy. For 80,000 SPG points I received a two-bedroom unit upgraded to ocean view at check-in for five nights. I would never redeem there now given the crazy rates they now charge.

SG
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Nov? What date? Everything is 300k+, premium award when i look.
Are you sure it's not the other W=A, Ras Al Khaimah?

thanks,

marc
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by tomy77
Nov? What date? Everything is 300k+, premium award when i look.
Are you sure it's not the other W=A, Ras Al Khaimah?
I booked Thursday for 20 Nov, must have gotten last room at normal points; now shows 352K+ to book.

Marc
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

thanks,

marc
Where are you flying to? Hilton Sharjah is, well, in Sharjah which is a different country (Emirate, technically) to Dubai.

No water taxis.

No 'port' as such (well, there is a huge port, but its a 'real' port full of LNG tankers.)

A normal taxi takes 12-13 minutes to get from the Waldorf (or Zabeel Saray on the other side) onto the mainland, and then of course you need to add on the time it takes to get to where you are going in Dubai.

I'd guess, from DXB, it is about 45 minutes. From Abu Dhabi airport it would be about 55-60 minutes? This is outside the Sun-Thu business peak.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:12 pm

Hilton Sharjah is considerably closer to DXB airport than the Palm. Albeit in the other direction.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
It seems that there are now standard room rewards available. Checked various dates in August and September and found standard reward availability for 60,000.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Nice... I saw standard room available too now.
80k for Nov.

Anyone have report if they give breakfast/lounge access for diamond here?

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
It seems that there are now standard room rewards available. Checked various dates in August and September and found standard reward availability for 60,000.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.