Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by canesfan
Thanks for the response. My wife is insistent on having tea at Burj Al Arab. I'd rather go to Burj Khalifa but I won't win this argument.
If you do make it over for a similar tea experience, might I recommend COVA at Burj Khalifa? While I haven't been to their Dubai location yet (it's fairly new), I have been to their flagship in Milan and many outposts in Japan, China and Hong Kong. All the chocolates are imported from Milan and the pastry recipes are the same.

Dubai | Cova 1817
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:00 pm

Going to the BAA for high tea is a once in a lifetime thing, and not actually THAT bad value for money. You get a whole meal out of it, which is more than some teas in the world. Sure the decor isn't to my taste, but to gawp at it for an hour or two it's pretty fun. I still get a funny feeling in my tummy when I see the building from the outside too!

Taxis are cheap in Dubai or if you have data then use Careem with discount codes, so don't be put off from staying on the Palm unless you are going to be out all the time.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Currently staying at Waldorf Dubai for the third or fourth time as Diamond and so far it is our best stay yet.
Taxi only took 15 minutes from Mall of the Emirates and cost was only 40DHS.
Fantastic friendly welcome and glass of chilled freshly squeezed orange juice on arrival
Early check in was granted and we have been allocated a nice room on the top ( 5th ) floor as I pre requested
Within five minutes of entering our room we received a nice fruit bowl and some Waldorf Astoria muffins
Just had a complymentry DVD player delivered to room
Amazing breakfast buffet which is complymentry for Golds and Diamonds
Private beach is almost empty with lots of staff to attend to your needs
Free bottles of iced water brought to your sundeds
The hotel is very quiet at the moment with low occupancy levels and feels very exclusive and special
i highly recommend anyone considering Waldorf Dubai to give it a try

Last edited by PaulH1; Feb 9, 2019 at 3:52 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I was there on Tuesday / Wednesday for a night on points, got a HUGE suite as a Diamond and no problem with a 3pm check-out. That said, I agree occupancy must be very low - only around 10% on the sun loungers on the beach were occupied. It's a shame as, if you've not got kids, it is a great time of year to come and escape the British weather.

I agree that the staff seemed more on the ball than on my previous visit last year. It was especially nice watching how they sand to a 2-year old girl at breakfast whose birthday it was.

It is growing on me BUT the desalination plant and the electricity sub-station next door are not exactly attractive, and of course you're not staring out to sea - you're staring out over a narrow bit of water to the buildings on the other side. If you can get any of the Madinat Jumeirah properties for the same money then you'd be mad to stay at the WA, of course, and the Mandarin Oriental is about to join the Four Seasons as a super top-end beach option.

Pleased to see all the marketing literature for other Habtoor Group housing developments had gone from the rooms. They did, however, have a saleswoman walking around trying to persuade guests to visit the Cirque du Soleil-style La Perle show which, of course, is based at another Habtoor-owned hotel. La Perle is FANTASTIC, by the way, but I don't necessarily want to be fighting off their sales team.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold
Edit: I realised that the advance purchase rate includes breakfast now.

Last edited by SQ88; Feb 7, 2019 at 12:34 am Reason: Edit: I realised that the advance purchase rate includes breakfast now.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
We have now completed our stay at Waldorf Dubai
having previously stayed here 3 or 4 times over the last 4 years
This has definitely been our best stay yet by a big margin
Somehow they have managed to move things up a notch in all areas and we found the whole stay outstanding from start to finish
Noticably better in all areas including housekeeping, club lounge, restaurants, staff morale etc
Already missing the place and only been home 2 days !

Last edited by PaulH1; Feb 9, 2019 at 3:54 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Is this property a good base for exploring Dubai? What about the Waldorf at International Financial Centre?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:40 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Is this property a good base for exploring Dubai? What about the Waldorf at International Financial Centre?
The Palm location is a long way out on the Palm and not the best of locations for exploring Dubai. Taxis are cheap but it's still a long way out from Dubai locations such as the Burj Khalifa. Many other Hiltons and the Conrad in better locations on the mainland, but it depends on where you wish to be. We loved the Waldorf on the Palm and it's quiet location with its own private beach. However also like the location of the Hilton on the Walk and it's location with marina and beach in close proximity. Plenty of walks and restaurants within walking distance at nights. The new Waldorf in the Financial District (https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/e...AWA/index.html) isn't due to open until August this year and looks very nice and could certainly be a good option for Dubai exploration.
NoY, PaulH1 and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by helvetic
Checking in today. Hotel called me yesterday — the lady on the other hand of the phone was giggling the entire time, not too sure why. Asked me about my checkin time and asked if I needed anything. Basically said they couldn't do anything except a late checkout (no early checkin, no high floor rooms, no views, certainly no upgrades — all I wanted is a high floor room). Not expecting much since it's new year's eve, but hopefully there's still a slim chance for a surprise at checkin later.
I'm curious to hear about your NYE experience at this property as I'm planning the same. Currently pretty good point redemption value.
Is it worth just staying at the hotel to watch the fireworks? Or should I try to get to the Burj Khalifa?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I am surprised at the raving reviews here. I had a mediocre stay. I am Diamond and booked a room with club access (unfortunately it was the last minute, and this was the only room available, though it looks like Diamonds don't get club access automatically so I suppose I got some benefit). They gave me breakfast also downstairs, which was solid but not spectacular by Dubai luxury hotel standards. (For example, the offerings at the Park Hyatt breakfast are vastly superior.) No drink vouchers, though they did send up a fruit plate and some cupcakes.

I arrived at about 1:30. They said my room wasn't available so moved me to the same category on a lower floor, which was fine given the early check-in. However, it took forever to check in in the lounge -- it required three people banging incessantly on the computer for an extended period. The room was spacious and decent; bathroom and lighting were nice. USB plug didn't work. It didn't accept my log-in to the internet (perhaps due to the room change.) By comparison, the rooms (and, in fact, everything else) are better at the Waldorf in Ras Al Khaimah.

Club breakfast is mediocre. They had a cardboard printed menu with a couple of basic egg dishes, and the hot selections were not much better or broader than the typical Marriott/Hyatt/etc. club lounge in town. Did have fresh berries, however. Also, they had no brewed coffee of any kind in the lounge (some hotels use French press, which is an acceptable alternative if demand doesn't warrant brewing full pots), but they didn't seem to know what brewed coffee is. (Pet peeve: when they think Cafe Americano is "American coffee.") The bar, Serafina, was excellent, both the menu and service.

Beach is nice. They have comfortable loungers and towels, complimentary water, had a guy going around to clean sunglasses, and good and prompt service overall. This was probably the best part.

When I checked out, I swung by the front desk and asked for a change for a 20 dirham note. The guy scowled, said, unfortunately I don't have it, flashed a stack of 500s, and basically shrugged. Minor point, but his glibness (not to mention the fact that they couldn't accommodate such a simple request -- what if I wanted to exchange foreign currency?) rubbed me the wrong way for a supposed luxury hotel.

One other point beyond the hotel's control: the Palm is just a disaster. The road outbound from the East Crescent had one lane closed for construction, which made traffic slow in the afternoon and evening. Ditto for some construction in the middle of the Palm where the new mall will open. There was a Halloween party at Atlantis, which required a trip of over an hour to get from the mall area to past Atlantis at midnight. It was chaos. These are one-off events, but I can imagine there will often be some headache at peak travel times once all of the hotels on the East Crescent open. This was foreseeable in the design of the Palm, and is regrettable and I will avoid the whole area unless I plan to just hang out at the hotel my whole stay.

Last edited by mecabq; Nov 2, 2019 at 7:01 am
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I've stayed here twice (and indeed I started this thread 4 years ago!).

Worth noting that I had 4 nights at WA Ras last week. 65 mins drive from Dubai Airport - 40 in a taxi coming back, 50 in a Blacklane Mercedes to get us there (a better choice in the dark!). 400 per night for a 2-bedroom suite which was 80% (!) cheaper than the Madinat Jumeriah pair of villas we moved into afterwards - this was UK October school holidays so super-super-peak in Dubai and indeed the whole UAE.

Terrible location if you intend to leave the hotel, as Ras doesn't have much to offer, but if you have no major plans to leave the resort then Ras is the way to go - the savings are substantial and it is a superior property.
mecabq and Thysk like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Just completed a very nice stay here over New Year, on standard room points redemption. Got normal Diamond breakfast in main buffet area, plus 2 bar drinks vouchers. Offered Pearl Club access for AED 500 per day also.
Staff are fantastic, and pool beach areas well maintained. Standard rooms are also very good and spacious. Was looking to book again for next New Year but they only seem to be offering premium room reward rates, even on normal rooms.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC
I am thinking of transferring the rest of my stay to Walford Palm due to the point value on redemptions.

As things stand, I am due to check in to Conrad ATM on 1st Jan.

Has anyone got any comments on Waldorf Palm?

Is the lounge open here? Is the full restaurant breakfast included for Diamonds?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: FB Gold
Just finished a 2 night stay.
Pretty average service catering for the masses (it should be expected at this price range though).

Full breakfast is included for gold & diamond. Also, all F&B services are discounted by 25% upon presenting HH ID.

1 category upgrade (gold) to deluxe partial view which provides a nice view of the cooling/energy building and part of the beach.
Room is ok - average 5 stars in Dubai.

Pool/beach were chaotic and very busy with people waiting for loungers and food taking 1 hour.
Spa had no availability for 2-3 days so no massage for me.

It's a 10minutes drive with no traffic from the entrance of the Palm.

Can't compare to Conrad as never been but if beach is not needed you might want to look into the WA @ DIFC.

Don't think I'll come back, especially in high season. I much preferred the Ritz Carlton @ Jumeirah Beach last year.
Long story short, average hotel with a crazy price tag right now due to the holidays. Good value on points ($400). Had I paid $1000 or whatever they're asking, I would've been very upset.

Note: I'm very picky so these points might not bother everyone. Had just finished a stay at Al Maha too so this felt like going to an ibis.

Last edited by Snick; Dec 30, 2020 at 6:29 am
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Snick
Just finished a 2 night stay.
Pretty average service catering for the masses (it should be expected at this price range though).

Full breakfast is included for gold & diamond. Also, all F&B services are discounted by 25% upon presenting HH ID.

1 category upgrade (gold) to deluxe partial view which provides a nice view of the cooling/energy building and part of the beach.
Room is ok - average 5 stars in Dubai.

Pool/beach were chaotic and very busy with people waiting for loungers and food taking 1 hour.
Spa had no availability for 2-3 days so no massage for me.

It's a 10minutes drive with no traffic from the entrance of the Palm.

Can't compare to Conrad as never been but if beach is not needed you might want to look into the WA @ DIFC.

Don't think I'll come back, especially in high season. I much preferred the Ritz Carlton @ Jumeirah Beach last year.
Long story short, average hotel with a crazy price tag right now due to the holidays. Good value on points ($400). Had I paid $1000 or whatever they're asking, I would've been very upset.

Note: I'm very picky so these points might not bother everyone. Had just finished a stay at Al Maha too so this felt like going to an ibis.
do you get lounge access as a diamond?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.