Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Waldorf Astoria Palm Jumeirah {ARE}

Reply

Old Apr 24, 17, 8:40 am
  #196  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 5,948
Originally Posted by fvn1312 View Post
It´s free of charge
Madness! (But true - link)

Now THAT would be a nice Diamond benefit in U.S. hotels...we can dream, right?
arlflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 17, 11:31 am
  #197  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,239
They charge for kayaks etc which are free in most similar hotels.
Barnaby100 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 17, 12:35 pm
  #198  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 5,948
Originally Posted by Barnaby100 View Post
They charge for kayaks etc which are free in most similar hotels.
Those must be tough to valet park!
arlflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 2:58 pm
  #199  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Birmingham & London
Programs: HHonors Diamond; Emirates Gold
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Those must be tough to valet park!
MrLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 3:04 pm
  #200  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Birmingham & London
Programs: HHonors Diamond; Emirates Gold
Posts: 46
I'm having a 4 night layover in Dubai towards the end of September and was wondering if you guys think this would be a good hotel choice for a first time trip?

I'd just like to combine a bit of relaxation with doing a few of the tourist attractions.

I take it there's no executive lounge, just the club lounge which you have to pay for?

I couldn't see it mentioned on the website, but do all rooms have balconies? To be more specific, the standard room!

Is it a buffet breakfast that the Diamond members are entitled to?

Thanks!
MrLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 3:23 pm
  #201  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, Honors Diamond, Accor Gold, MR Plat Elite
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by MrLee View Post
I'm having a 4 night layover in Dubai towards the end of September and was wondering if you guys think this would be a good hotel choice for a first time trip?
Very nice hotel. Great for relaxation. Its position on The Palm is not the nearest to some attractions but nowhere is perfect. Careem and Uber apps both work fine for taxis to anywhere you need. Hotel cars are at a premium price.

I take it there's no executive lounge, just the club lounge which you have to pay for?
Corrrct. Upgrades to "premier" rooms (i.e. Club access) are not always offered, and pricing is variable. There is no fixed price to buy club access, and no guarantee it will be offered, if you don't book a premier room.

I couldn't see it mentioned on the website, but do all rooms have balconies? To be more specific, the standard room!
Yes as far as I'm aware. Be aware the standard rooms tend to be on a low floor in the north west corner - overlooking the water treatment plant or the road, so the balcony isn't necessarily a pleasant place to be.

Is it a buffet breakfast that the Diamond members are entitled to?
Yes. But not by Honors rules, by property policy (which may change at any time, but they have offered it for years). It's a superb buffet.
rjn21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 3:50 pm
  #202  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Birmingham & London
Programs: HHonors Diamond; Emirates Gold
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by rjn21 View Post
Very nice hotel. Great for relaxation. Its position on The Palm is not the nearest to some attractions but nowhere is perfect. Careem and Uber apps both work fine for taxis to anywhere you need. Hotel cars are at a premium price.



Corrrct. Upgrades to "premier" rooms (i.e. Club access) are not always offered, and pricing is variable. There is no fixed price to buy club access, and no guarantee it will be offered, if you don't book a premier room.



Yes as far as I'm aware. Be aware the standard rooms tend to be on a low floor in the north west corner - overlooking the water treatment plant or the road, so the balcony isn't necessarily a pleasant place to be.


Yes. But not by Honors rules, by property policy (which may change at any time, but they have offered it for years). It's a superb buffet.
Thank you very much for all of this.

Do they tend to be very generous in upgrading Diamond members? The partial sea view room is 69k, compared to 93k for what I'd really want by the sound of things.
MrLee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 4:04 pm
  #203  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, BA CCR, Honors Diamond, Accor Gold, MR Plat Elite
Posts: 439
I've had upgrades from premier rooms to premier suites, from premier suites to waldorf suites, from standard room to a standard suite. I've never gone from a non-premier (no club) room type to premier (club) of any sort of room. YMMV.

A wholly subjective opinion is that the club is ok, but personally I wouldn't be too fussed as long as you have diamond breakfast. The afternoon tea is nice, (cakes can be a bit stale and I don't like the scones - very salty, no real cream only fake sugar cream) the evening canapés and booze are nice, but the price for that is quite significant, which you may want to use for a nice dinner somewhere. Be aware that booze is very expensive everywhere in the UAE if that's your thing. The duty free shop in arrivals pre-customs at DXB is good value (compared to landslide duty paid prices in the UAE).
flockavelliFT likes this.
rjn21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 17, 4:46 pm
  #204  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points
Posts: 1,345
+1 for the amazing breakfast. Also received a drink voucher for peacock alley. Did not feel I needed club access at this property.

emailing the hotel will confirm an upgrade in advance. Go for a suite. They're exceptional here.
flockavelliFT likes this.
saaveraward is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 17, 5:59 am
  #205  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Vienna / AT
Programs: Hilton DIA / SPG Gold / Hyatt Plat
Posts: 19
Anybody knows if Mrs Assmann is still working there as Head of Front Office? Mailed her directly last week and got no response.

thanks in advance
heiniheini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 18, 2:43 pm
  #206  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: FRA
Programs: Hilton Dia, Marriott PP, UA *G, SK Dia
Posts: 130
I'm considering going here in November for 2 nights as a Hilton Diamond.
Understood all the comments regarding breakfast benefit (essential) and lack of lounge access (ok) as long as the hotel is great.
More important for me: we're flying into DXB at 6AM. Does anybody have experience regarding early check-in as a Diamond? (at least let me chill at the pool during the morning)
I also have some SPG hotels in my list which seem to have great Platinum recognition and I wouldn't expect issues there. But I'm new to Hilton Diamond and have heard various things...
flockavelliFT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 18, 3:03 pm
  #207  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points
Posts: 1,345
Originally Posted by flockavelliFT View Post
I'm considering going here in November for 2 nights as a Hilton Diamond.
Understood all the comments regarding breakfast benefit (essential) and lack of lounge access (ok) as long as the hotel is great.
More important for me: we're flying into DXB at 6AM. Does anybody have experience regarding early check-in as a Diamond? (at least let me chill at the pool during the morning)
I also have some SPG hotels in my list which seem to have great Platinum recognition and I wouldn't expect issues there. But I'm new to Hilton Diamond and have heard various things...
This is a very well-run property. I would email them directly and make sure an early arrival request is on your reservation. I would also throw in, if applicable, you will be departing at the normal check out time. Sometimes makes it easier to get the early check in if they know you will not ask for a late check out.

Of course, all depends on availability from the night before. If they have it, they will look out for you.
flockavelliFT likes this.
saaveraward is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 18, 1:26 am
  #208  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: FRA
Programs: Hilton Dia, Marriott PP, UA *G, SK Dia
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
This is a very well-run property. I would email them directly and make sure an early arrival request is on your reservation. I would also throw in, if applicable, you will be departing at the normal check out time. Sometimes makes it easier to get the early check in if they know you will not ask for a late check out.
Excellent advice, thank you. I probably won't need a late check-out, so that could play in my favor.
Since I even got a BRG approved, I'm very much looking forward to this stay.
flockavelliFT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 18, 8:03 am
  #209  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, hold AA, UA, BA, AMEX points
Posts: 1,345
You're welcome. If I may ask, where did you find a lower rate than hilton.com?
saaveraward is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 18, 10:19 am
  #210  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: FRA
Programs: Hilton Dia, Marriott PP, UA *G, SK Dia
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by saaveraward View Post
You're welcome. If I may ask, where did you find a lower rate than hilton.com?
I linked to the my post in the BRG thread in my comment. Trip.com
flockavelliFT is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread