Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

1 stay to Diamond, can get an HI for $71

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA Companion Pass, SWA A-list+, National Executive, Hilton Diamond

So I find myself one stay short of Diamond this year with no business travel left. I can get an HI near me for one night MVP rate at $71, thus completing Diamond for 2014. I mostly stay at HGI and HI with an occasional Doubletree or proper Hilton thrown in. No aspirational properties on the horizon for a stay in 2014 but probably will use points to go to Hawaii for a week, possibly the Hilton Waikiki each. I hear Diamond might get upgraded there.

So with that said, is $71 for Diamond worth it for me?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by FlyingTigers
So I find myself one stay short of Diamond this year with no business travel left. I can get an HI near me for one night MVP rate at $71, thus completing Diamond for 2014. I mostly stay at HGI and HI with an occasional Doubletree or proper Hilton thrown in. No aspirational properties on the horizon for a stay in 2014 but probably will use points to go to Hawaii for a week, possibly the Hilton Waikiki each. I hear Diamond might get upgraded there.

Hello,

staying mainly in HGI and HI will not make much different between Gold and Diamond, but in the Doubletrees and FS Hiltons will mean extra 1000 points/stay + diamond bonus, and probably and upgrade.
71 USD is not a big amount. I would go for it
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:11 am

I let my Diamond status lapse last year out of disgust, end even I would do it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by YYZC2
I let my Diamond status lapse last year out of disgust, end even I would do it.
I totally agree $71 is not much to get Diamond status. You never know they may devalue Gold status some day?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:13 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
No brainer... treat yourself to a night away from home for $71!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by more4less
staying mainly in HGI and HI will not make much different between Gold and Diamond, but in the Doubletrees and FS Hiltons will mean extra 1000 points/stay + diamond bonus, and probably and upgrade.
I've received upgrades at HGIs and HIs, even HIs without suites I've been given a room with a Jacuzzi tub.

Oh, and don't forget this valuable Diamond benefit at HI.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:34 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wharvey
No brainer... treat yourself to a night away from home for $71!
Utterly concur.

And I too have had some excellent upgrades at both Hamptons and HGIs
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Utterly concur.

And I too have had some excellent upgrades at both Hamptons and HGIs
+1 on all points.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:50 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by FlyingTigers

Shouldn't the question actually be "I made the effort to stay 29 times at Hilton properties and find myself 1 stay short at a $71.00 rate to maintain my Diamond status until 2015. Should I... Never mind, I think I figured it out." Did you really need to ask?

Last edited by general45; Dec 21, 2013 at 10:28 pm
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
for $71... I agree with the board. no brainier, I would do it.

If you stay at HGI, I don't think they give golds free breakfast... that itself is worth more than $71 if you stay at HGI a dozen times a year. (not to mention the better upgrade potential and added points).
Old Dec 22, 2013, 5:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd certainly do the deal, but not for the HGI breakfast benefit :

MY WAY GOLD MEMBERSHIP HOTEL BENEFITS:6

Hilton Garden Inn™

750 HHonors Bonus Points per stay or a complimentary Hot Cooked-to-Order Breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay.
Originally Posted by gbearbuck
for $71... I agree with the board. no brainier, I would do it.

If you stay at HGI, I don't think they give golds free breakfast... that itself is worth more than $71 if you stay at HGI a dozen times a year. (not to mention the better upgrade potential and added points).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:34 pm

One Stay From Diamond

Hi folks! We are one stay away from Diamond status. Is there a compelling reason to obtain that last stay before the end of the calendar year? Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:55 pm

So would we automatically keep our diamond status all through 2014?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
If you read around the board, there are tons of threads on this. If you earn Diamond before Dec 31, you will have it thru the end of March 2015.

Only you can decide if it is worth it, as we know nothing about what your travel needs, wants and desires are.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:23 pm

I can book a night at a local Hampton Inn for $55. If we get our Diamond status in January instead, does it matter? I guess I am searching for a clarification on whether obtaining it before the end of the year matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.