Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover
Strange about the BMG. I've found them willing to open inventory for that. I thought because it was reimbursed at the full rate, and billed back to the failing hotel that it was issued against.
I also thought it strange because I’ve never experienced such pushback on a BMG before. The only pushback I’d had before this was Tel Aviv telling me I could only use the BMG in the standard part of the Hilton, not the Vista part, but that was hardly a surprise to me. But if they define a standard room which turns out to be practically impossible to find any availability on (even for cash) then it’s going to make BMG very hard.

BTW the BMGs I have currently were given for failures at the corporate rather than the property level.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
There seems to be an OK amount of award availability loaded. Not every day over the next few months but still more than I have seen.

Seems like there is availability every day in January and February. Maybe things are chanigng here.

We managed to book the 2 nights we needed mid August after monitoring it for a few months.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by SponsorSFC
There seems to be an OK amount of award availability loaded. Not every day over the next few months but still more than I have seen.

Seems like there is availability every day in January and February. Maybe things are chanigng here.

We managed to book the 2 nights we needed mid August after monitoring it for a few months.
i saw a bunch of nights too, but all are mid week
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:45 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

My gosh that is the shoulder season in Amsterdam the coldest months of the year
Historically rooms are at some of the lowest rates of the year and sitting unsold like NYC on a January Sunday night
If this is an improvement that's a really sad commentary on the hotels availability and the state of some Hilton properties in the program
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:28 pm

Looks like the poor availability was raised with Hilton on one of the blogs and more space has been made available. Interesting to see if it stays.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/07/07/...lity-resolved/
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Looks like the poor availability was raised with Hilton on one of the blogs and more space has been made available. Interesting to see if it stays.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/07/07/...lity-resolved/
This is truly great to hear and I am very happy for those that have patiently waited to redeem their points
Congratulations to those who pursued the unfair business practices of the hotel and won the battle ^
As much as I have interest in staying there I am avoiding the hotel due to the GM there who previously was in charge of the Amsterdam Hilton
I'd put him in the the top 10 of the most undesirable individuals professionally and personally I've witnessed in my 40 years of travel
I simply won't go anywhere he is employed.If he ever leaves the property for good I'd be delighted to stay there on revenue or award redemption's
Quite frankly I see him as dishonest and I don't doubt some or all of the past problems can likely be attributed to his ways of doing business & management style
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Would love to get feedback from anyone who has stayed at WA Amsterdam. While reading about the lack of standard room availability I was able to grab two standard rooms for five nights in late March/early April 2020. My points right now are tied up at another hotel and I am short 80 or so, so I did a cash stay. I would like to convert to points in about 6 weeks.

I'm concerned that I'm going to have a potential problem doing this - I can envision some overbooking snafu causing my plans to go up in smoke. If anyone has a decent way to try and do this, please let me know. The last two times I have called the diamond desk, I ended up with non English speaking reps who were not very helpful.

If my rooms do disappear,, would the Doubletree be a viable alternative for a family of 4? It certainly would be a lot less points. But I did see on Trip Advisor that it gets only 4 stars.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:32 pm

Why not buy the extra 80 points to secure the booking now while there is availability?
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by SponsorSFC; Jul 9, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:33 pm

Why not buy the extra 80 points to secure the booking now while there is availability?
that wouldn't be a terrible idea at all - but we should be able to get most of the 80 for stays in the next few weeks. I actually nabbed the only available standard rooms so I don't know if trying to convert now or a month from now would make any difference??
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:13 am

Is breakfast still not complimentary for golds/diamonds?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dcht
We were there in April last year, and breakfast was complimentary for Diamonds at least. Can't speak to Golds.
shmom likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by shmom
I would like to convert to points in about 6 weeks.

I'm concerned that I'm going to have a potential problem doing this
It is not possible to convert a reservation paid with money to a reservation paid with points. You will need to book a standard award reservation in six weeks, and then cancel your paid reservation. If there is no award availability at that time, you are out of luck. There is no guarantee, if you cancel your paid reservation first, that this will cause those rooms to be added to the award availability.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by jbeckett
It is not possible to convert a reservation paid with money to a reservation paid with points. You will need to book a standard award reservation in six weeks, and then cancel your paid reservation. If there is no award availability at that time, you are out of luck. There is no guarantee, if you cancel your paid reservation first, that this will cause those rooms to be added to the award availability.
Yep, so I am a bit concerned. I don't know if it is better for me to call the Diamond desk to have them cancel and then rebook or I just do it myself. I would assume it wouldn't make any difference. At least if I do it I won't be frustrated with the Diamond desk.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dcht
From the hotel regarding Diamond benefits:
As you are one of our loyal diamond members you may enjoy complimentary breakfast buffet in our restaurant and you will receive a special VIP amenity during your stay. In addition, we offer in our Peacock Alley from 6 PM till 9 PM the Aperitivo and as a Diamond Member you will receive one complimentary drink per guest.
Breakfast at WA is now a brand standard, I suspect that there is no differentiation of the breakfast benefit between Golds and Diamonds.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:39 am

Here now on a points stay for 2 nights.

Got a complimentary Diamond upgrade to a King Grand Premier Room with a Garden View. We were offered the Canal view for 85 EUR but preferred the garden view (room was going for 830 EUR at check in).

Breakfast in the Goldfinch Brasserie with both ala carte and buffet options included for Diamonds.

The two complimentary aperitivo cocktails served at Peacock Alley were great.

Service has been fantastic, dinner at Spectrum tonight.

Overall a really lovely stay and worth the points in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.