Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam {NLD}

Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by 9volt
Do you remember what some of the hot items were? You mentioned it was a mediocre breakfast, but if it at least has eggs and bacon or sausage (or both), and maybe pancakes, I'm fine with that.
OK, eggs (also made to order), bacon and sausages were available, also pancakes. You don´t leave hungry but for a Luxury Hotel and the prices charged I expect more.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by as219
I’m here now...

Will report back after breakfast tomorrow morning.

First impressions are stunning.
I can see how some might be disappointed but we were more than satisfied.

Cold buffet was not much to look at...usual breads, spreads, cereals etc. But the jams were really good. Croissants were perfect. Grapefruit juice was fresh squeezed and delicious.

To-order items (included in our comped Diamond breakfast) included American or Belgian waffles/pancakes and eggs Benedict with bacon or smoked salmon. Hash browns also available. Coffee made to order. Oddly, it seemed like ordering an omelette incurs a surcharge.

Will snap a photo of menu tomorrow to post it.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Here’s today’s menu:

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:41 am

I'm confused... 70euros for eggs Benedict with 2 eggs, but only 4euros for an omelette?!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by delinquentwoody
I'm confused... 70euros for eggs Benedict with 2 eggs, but only 4euros for an omelette?!
This egg Benedict is with caviar.....
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by delinquentwoody
Probably because the eggs Benedict include Perle Imperial Caviar
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Omelette is also only a supplement to the buffet-experience...... To be fair I paid nothing extra.
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 - loft & premier loft & grand loft = 1 of each ?

superior and deluxe often missing from hilton website inventory

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 9, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 12:45 pm

Angry

This hotel gotta be playing games ...

Only 6 nights in 2019 have any availability for standard rooms ... ZERO nights in 2020 have availability

May 15 (today)
May 16 (tomorrow)
June 1
June 26
Sept 4
Sept 15
Old May 15, 2019, 6:58 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

This area/ hotel manager /GM has been gaming HH customers since his longtime affiliation with the Hilton Amsterdam long before the Waldorf ever opened
I won't go into what I learned from a contact @ corporate but lets just say greed prevails above all else and it doesn't surprise me one bit
One interaction in the past years ago I knew this was someone I wanted no part of doing business with and that's a shame as Hilton customers deserve something better
than what they are being subjected too
Thankfully these days there are great alternatives not that helps HH guests who wish to use their Hilton points @ The Waldorf
Of course the hotels defense will be there aren't many rooms in the hotel or let alone standard rooms blah blah blah that's why we offer redemption rooms from 250k in points and up a night
hugolover likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
This area/ hotel manager /GM has been gaming HH customers since his longtime affiliation with the Hilton Amsterdam long before the Waldorf ever opened
I won't go into what I learned from a contact @ corporate but lets just say greed prevails above all else and it doesn't surprise me one bit
One interaction in the past years ago I knew this was someone I wanted no part of doing business with and that's a shame as Hilton customers deserve something better
than what they are being subjected too
Thankfully these days there are great alternatives not that helps HH guests who wish to use their Hilton points @ The Waldorf
Of course the hotels defense will be there aren't many rooms in the hotel or let alone standard rooms blah blah blah that's why we offer redemption rooms from 250k in points and up a night
I agree with all you said, as I mentioned before, Roberto Payer is very well known. While I've once had a run in with Mr Payer, I had an excellent stay here, great upgrade, amenities etc.

Via a recent contact I heard that a number of corporate employees are sitting at their PC's trying to get the staff rates as soon as they become available, which come also book into the few standard rooms they have. As I recall, its 5. So, it's not just HHonors redemptions that come into the mix.

The last minute release of inventory will be a mix of cancellations on speculative bookings and upgrading guests.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I agree with all you said, as I mentioned before, Roberto Payer is very well known. While I've once had a run in with Mr Payer, I had an excellent stay here, great upgrade, amenities etc.

Via a recent contact I heard that a number of corporate employees are sitting at their PC's trying to get the staff rates as soon as they become available, which come also book into the few standard rooms they have. As I recall, its 5. So, it's not just HHonors redemptions that come into the mix.

The last minute release of inventory will be a mix of cancellations on speculative bookings and upgrading guests.
Ditto for me once and once was enough.
In my many thousands of nights over decades I put him in a special category of the worst 20 GMs in history I tried to leave his name out of my post to be kind & repectful
There is no question that the Waldorf is a well respected attractive property however unless they do something that no one else does in the city I refuse to support a property
with arrogance and self entitlement in their business culture.Have found enormous satisfaction and happiness elsewhere without naming competing brands & programs

25 years ago when there was a limited competition in Amsterdam I was forced to put up with some really bad business practices in Amsterdam overall
I prefer friendly business cultures that deliver high end guest experience solid brand assurance and fair business practices based on terms and conditions
and the expectation that many Int Hilton's exceed written expectations
For all those reasons I wont be competing for those 12 nights a year they release for standard award availability So there is a lot more inventory to go around
Old May 20, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you think getting an award redemption is hard here then try using a BMG free night certificate.

I put in a standard BAR booking for a King Premium Room for one night (not weekend or Easter) in April and then followed up with the hotel to check if my BMG certificate was OK. They replied that BMG was only valid for a King Superior, which is apparently their standard room (I’d never seen it in the listings for any candidate date) and that there was no availability for the night I selected in such a room.

However, when I checked their calendar their didn’t seem to be a single night where such a room was available in the next 6 months. When I put this to them they replied that there was availability in a superior room for one single night at the end of October... and that was it!

So basically they only allow BMGs against a ‘standard’ room that never appears after you’ve selected your dates because there’s essentially zero availability for it. The whole attitude of the staff in the email gave me the impression that they would do anything to make sure I wouldn’t stay there. They needn’t worry - this hotel is permanently off my list.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
If you think getting an award redemption is hard here then try using a BMG free night certificate.

I put in a standard BAR booking for a King Premium Room for one night (not weekend or Easter) in April and then followed up with the hotel to check if my BMG certificate was OK. They replied that BMG was only valid for a King Superior, which is apparently their standard room (I’d never seen it in the listings for any candidate date) and that there was no availability for the night I selected in such a room.

However, when I checked their calendar their didn’t seem to be a single night where such a room was available in the next 6 months. When I put this to them they replied that there was availability in a superior room for one single night at the end of October... and that was it!

So basically they only allow BMGs against a ‘standard’ room that never appears after you’ve selected your dates because there’s essentially zero availability for it. The whole attitude of the staff in the email gave me the impression that they would do anything to make sure I wouldn’t stay there. They needn’t worry - this hotel is permanently off my list.
it’s on my blacklist for life just based on current management and their corrupt business behavior
Old May 20, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strange about the BMG. I've found them willing to open inventory for that. I thought because it was reimbursed at the full rate, and billed back to the failing hotel that it was issued against.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.