Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam {NLD}

Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I just finished up my two night stay here using points and a Free Night Certificate. I really went back and forth between the Waldorf Astoria, the Hilton, and the Doubletree in Amsterdam. I decided to go with the Waldorf because the reviews are excellent and the location is convenient to where I wanted to go. Overall, I am happy with my decision and enjoyed the hotel. I am going to post some general observations about the hotel that can perhaps help others in the future. First, I booked a day room at the Hilton Schipol Airport because this hotel could not guarantee an early check-in (and as mentioned in another post, seemed to discourage it). So, instead of arriving at 9am, I showed up at 3pm. I took an Uber from the airport (which I probably would not take again). The app showed the cost as 38 Euros but my ultimate charge was 56 Euros. I probably should have taken the train and tram to the hotel instead. Second, the service was flawless and friendly. I ate two breakfasts and one dinner at the hotel and enjoyed the bar for a bit. Everyone went out of their way to make my stay special. I was also given a free drink at dinner and not charged for two phone calls to the United States. The staff will sincerely try to get to know you and make sure you have a good time here. Unfortunately, I am not really sure how much of an upgrade I received as a Diamond member. I booked a King Superior Plus Room and was given a King Premier. This is supposed to be two room categories up. However, the Premier room looked about the same as the Superior Plus room in the pictures to be honest. I had a view of the garden. Speaking of the garden, I wish they allowed people to eat breakfast out there in the morning but they do not. Finally, the hotel is about a 20m minute walk to the Rijksmuseum and 25 minutes to the Anne Frank House. There are many restaurants and bars around.
I believe they are not allowed to serve food and beverages in the garden, as it’s a UNESCO world heritage site or something similar. It’s a legal impediment. You can take a drink out there though.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I believe they are not allowed to serve food and beverages in the garden, as it’s a UNESCO world heritage site or something similar. It’s a legal impediment. You can take a drink out there though.
Thats what we did. They are not allowed to serve F&B in the garden due to legal reasons. However you are allowed to consume drinks outside if they are ordered and served inside. We did that every evening and they were fine with it. We had great drinks there.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:40 am

First, I booked a day room at the Hilton Schipol Airport because this hotel could not guarantee an early check-in (and as mentioned in another post, seemed to discourage it). So, instead of arriving at 9am, I showed up at 3pm.
Thanks for the tip on uber! Regarding early check-in, can we just leave the luggage there, go out to explore the city and come back to check in in the afternoon?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ashleyhwu
Thanks for the tip on uber! Regarding early check-in, can we just leave the luggage there, go out to explore the city and come back to check in in the afternoon?
I am sure that they will either let you check in early or leave your bags with them until you can.

Uber can be very expensive from the airport, especially with surge charging.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:30 pm

I checked out this morning. My Uber to WA from the airport was only 37€. From WA to the airport was 41€.

They are very attentive and warm and do whatever they can to assist. They also remember the guests’ names. The service is exceptional. Incredible stay. Spectrum is worth a try but peacock allley is a worthy alternative if you can’t reserve spectrum.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:01 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Call a day before to ascertain the early check-in !!! I have learned it the hard way (when booking the more expensive rooms).

And train ticket from AMS to central station is around 5 euros and the cab to this (quite distant location from all action) should not exceed 20 euros.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ashleyhwu
This hotel really did not want me to arrive at 9am even though I did not expect the room to be available at that time. I posted about this up thread. They will ask you for your arrival time (fine) but when I told them around 9am they responded with the request that I book a room for the night before. When I responded that I didn't mind waiting for a room but would expect a definite idea of when my room would be ready upon arrival, they never responded. Ultimately, I decided to book a day room at the Hilton Schipol and arrived at the Waldorf at 3:30. When I emailed the Waldorf that I would be arriving at 3:30pm instead, I quickly received a response that my decision was a good one. The entire interaction annoyed me and I plan to comment about it on the survey they sent me. The hotel was completely sold out during my stay (according to the website), which may have been a factor in my communication with them.
lsquare and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hsumh316
I checked out this morning. My Uber to WA from the airport was only 37€. From WA to the airport was 41€.
I want to give an update about my Uber charge. I complained to Uber and was refunded 18€. I was originally charged 56€ but the app showed the ride should only be 38€. I am happy that Uber made it right. I really believe the Uber driver tried to make extra money off of me.
lsquare, hsumh316 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I want to give an update about my Uber charge. I complained to Uber and was refunded 18€. I was originally charged 56€ but the app showed the ride should only be 38€. I am happy that Uber made it right. I really believe the Uber driver tried to make extra money off of me.
That's why I hate taking a taxi. So many dishonest drivers trying to take advantage of foreigners. No accountability whatsoever while they run up the meter. I hope Uber put these clowns out of business.
ChinaShrek and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
110k Hilton points for WA Amsterdam vs 37k Bonvoy points for Sir Adam/Albert - Anyone have thoughts one way or the other?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by louisc
110k Hilton points for WA Amsterdam vs 37k Bonvoy points for Sir Adam/Albert - Anyone have thoughts one way or the other?
Very different types of hotels, from what I can see. The WA, which I have stayed at, is a very high end luxury hotel which commands a considerable premium. The Sir Adam and Albert are small boutique hotels at a different price point.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I am going to bite the bullet and book an afternoon tea with the ladytraveller at the WA-AMS for March23,

Far away you think, but it seems quite popular and quite fast sold out on the online booking engine.
I've been only once inside for the grand opening of WA-AMS's signature restaurant Librije's Zusje = now Spectrum
Ah, those were the days were the was no impending danger of a nuclear fallout & energy crisis
The restaurant staff were really friendly + they walked us to our bicycles afterwards + gave us their home made honey.

But for the love of G-d, i can't even remember anything of the WA-AMS interior.
It says peacock alley's afternoon tea, the site shows a room, is it a nice venue?
- I am spoiled with people watching opportunities at afternoon tea at IC AMS at the riverview conservatory & at Anantara NH Krasnapolsky with Dam SQ views -
- i could survey the venue beforehand but i rather trust my fellow FT-members travellers opninions -

Whoops!
FT: auto scroll gremlins at work again.....
Instant flashes away from posts....
I see upthread soneone uploaded the pictures of the afternoon tea venue.
Thanks !
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Dec 29, 2022 at 3:11 am
Old Jan 5, 2023, 1:31 am

The breakfast of this hotel is very generous... I think this may be the BEST free breakfast offered for Diamond member .
Otherwise, rooms are new. Location is good. Free bike rental.
Abidjan, lsquare, atojbk and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by yinping4256
The breakfast of this hotel is very generous... I think this may be the BEST free breakfast offered for Diamond member .
Otherwise, rooms are new. Location is good. Free bike rental.
Best breakfast worldwide?
Old Feb 23, 2023, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I stayed at this hotel with a friend last week while on a one night visit to Amsterdam. We arrived around 7pm, already 3 sheets to the wind after a few hours in the Concorde Room at Heathrow. We were each given a glass of champagne as we checked in, which did not help our cause!

With no dinner reservations, I called concierge from the airport and asked for a steak restaurant recommendation. I received a call back 20 minutes later with details of a confirmed reservation at a very nice rooftop restaurant, which was greatly appreciated.

After far too much red wine over dinner, and countless gin and tonics at some dodgy bar, we made our way back to the hotel for a nightcap and ended up staying until closing time and spending far too much money on cocktails.

I don’t actually remember going to bed but I’m sure I appreciated the upgrade to a King Premier with canal view. Pleasingly, the second room I booked was also upgraded, this one to a King Premier.

I got up at 8, feeling somewhat delicate, and met my friend in the restaurant for breakfast, which, I’m sure, would have been delightful had I not had so much alcohol the night before. I ordered eggs Benedict and, despite strong protestation from my stomach, just about managed the eggs.

While my memory of the hotel is hazy, I am pretty sure it was lovely and that service was exceptional. We checked out at 8.30 so didn’t really get to see any facilities beyond reception, bar, bed and breakfast.

I’m going back tomorrow with my wife and baby for what will be an altogether more reserved affair so I am looking forward to exploring further. I shall update after my stay!
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Feb 24, 2023 at 3:24 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.