Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Even with devaluations, are things really as bad as we think?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Even with devaluations, are things really as bad as we think?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you are in first category why not switch to priority club - points return there is much much better

Originally Posted by Cymro
I think there are two polarized opinions here:

1. You're like me - you tend to stay in lower-priced properties, particularly in Europe, you don't have a realistic alternative (i.e., not enough Marriott/Starwood/Hyatt properties), and/or you're happy to save your points for "special occasions" (e.g., SXSW, Mardi Gras, or outright bargains). You get the value from the upgrades, breakfast and wifi that you'd otherwise have to pay for or forego. Honors is still a great program; or

2. You're not like me - you travel mainly in the US, you stay at aspirational properties with high rates on expenses. You have a range of other chains you can fall back on easily (e.g., Hyatt - which I love, but my travel rarely takes me there). You want to maximize your points value by staying at great hotels during vacation periods (but not necessarily super-peak) and breakfast, wifi etc. can be expensed anyway so you don't really value those benefits.

Honors is probably harder to redeem and doesn't give quite the upgrade benefits of other programs, and is less competitive than it used to be anyway: i.e., for you the program sucks.

The second category of customer is definitely more valuable to Hilton than the first; but it's also harder to win their loyalty and so the dollar return from the program is not necessarily better if Hilton focuses on them than on me.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:58 pm
Suspended

I think there are two polarized opinions here:

1. You're like me - you tend to stay in lower-priced properties, particularly in Europe, you don't have a realistic alternative (i.e., not enough Marriott/Starwood/Hyatt properties), and/or you're happy to save your points for "special occasions" (e.g., SXSW, Mardi Gras, or outright bargains).
The devaluation made the concept of saving points seem ridiculous.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by azepine00
if you are in first category why not switch to priority club - points return there is much much better
Because I generally prefer the quality and location of the Hilton properties that I do stay at, and in my price range.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Because I generally prefer the quality and location of the Hilton properties that I do stay at, and in my price range.
+1. I don't think I could bring myself to spend 30+ nights/year in Holiday Inn Expresses, especially since my redemption would probably end up being at Candlewoods or Staybridges... I'll take a 10k/night Doubletree or Hampton over pretty much any low-end IHG property any day of the week, either paid or points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.