Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Tipping protocol on a 60+ night stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

So i am staying at a Hampton Inn on a long term basis for the company. The max i have stayed in a hotel at one shot has been 3 weeks and being that it was a 5 star hotel i tipped decently well.

How would you tip housekeeping in this case? I am going to be here for a total for 88 nights?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:21 pm

I was under the impression that these specially negotiated extended stays had reduced housekeeping frequency.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Hilton caps the length of eligible stays for the HH program at something like 30 nights. I would check out for one night every so often and stay somewhere else to break the stay up so you get credit for the whole thing.

In terms of housekeeping tips $25 per week should suffice IMO.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It's up to you. Are you expecting any special treatment? If so, I'd tip up front. Otherwise, I'd do it at the end, and modestly as a token. You could also ask for 'no service' unless you really need it.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
$25/week is fine. But, I would leave it weekly. The people who do that work will be appreciative and it's better to connect the service to the reward.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Hilton caps the length of eligible stays for the HH program at something like 30 nights.
I don't think this is right. they cap the number of base points at 100,000 for certain properties, but i don't recall ever seeing a cap on the number of nights.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Hilton caps the length of eligible stays for the HH program at something like 30 nights.
Not a max duration of stay, but max of 100K base points per stay.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/...rual_of_points
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not a max duration of stay, but max of 100K base points per stay.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/...rual_of_points
Thank you very much for the input. Glad to know about the 100K cap. I guess given the 4x points promo going on on stays more then 4 nights, i might earn upwards of 100K points so probably a good idea to check out and check back in once.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
I would not tip only once per week since shifts change and people may not share with each other. For that reason I always tip every morning to ensure it gets spread out evenly amongst those who do the work.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
People tip the housekeeping staff? I really had no idea, and have never left a tip. How do you even do this?

I do usually refuse service on long stays. Once ever 3-4 days is plenty normally.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:53 am

The size and type of hotel could make a difference. A Hampton Inn will have far fewer Housekeeping employees when compared to a full-service hotel with 500+ rooms.

If I were you, I'd call and speak with the person in charge of Housekeeping after you check in. Ask her or him if there is a preferred method of tipping to ensure it gets to the right person. Doing that also sets up a personal connection with the Housekeeping Supervisor. You won't simply be "Room 301"...you'll be "WrLdTrvLnIndian". That can be helpful if anyone goes wrong or if you have an unusual request at some point.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
Thank you very much for the input. Glad to know about the 100K cap. I guess given the 4x points promo going on on stays more then 4 nights, i might earn upwards of 100K points so probably a good idea to check out and check back in once.
Are you sure you need to check out, you would need 1600base points/night? x 60nights to earn 96k base points

The 300% Bonus Points (3x Base Points extra not 4x extra) and Gold/Diamond Bonus points awarded do not count as part of 100k Base Points
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Some jurisdictions have weird laws about residency/taxes for stays longer than 30 days.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by some dude
People tip the housekeeping staff? I really had no idea, and have never left a tip. How do you even do this?

I do usually refuse service on long stays. Once ever 3-4 days is plenty normally.
You're just saying this to annoy me on a Sunday, right? :-)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond and HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by some dude

Don't feel bad. I didn't know until recently. I tip a few bucks per day when I'm on vacation and wrecking the room with my family every day. And I tip a few bucks if its a hotel I stay at regularly.

Or if its beyond the norm from housekeeping. Or if its multiple nights.

If I'm there 1 night and its at or below the minimum for the room vs what I would have expected ... And I'm not killing the room....I typically don't for a 1 night stay.

Don't know what others do. But that's just me being arbitrarily weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.