Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
From the Hilton update:
Starting January 6, 2014, Hilton HHonors will have two Earning Style Options: Points & Points or Points & Miles™. At this time, the Points & Fixed Miles option will be discontinued.

Q: When will this change be implemented?
A: Hilton HHonors will no longer offer Points & Fixed Miles as of January 6, 2014. HHonors will offer two Earning Style Options: Points & Points (HHonors Base Points + HHonors Bonus Points) and Points & Miles (HHonors Base Points + Variable Airline/Rail Miles).

Q: What will happen to members who are currently enrolled in Points & Fixed Miles?
A: Starting on January 6, 2014, members previously enrolled in Points & Fixed Miles will automatically earn airline miles based on every eligible US dollar spent on stays. This will now appear as Points & Miles in the HHonors account profile and no action is required by the member.

Q: What will happen to upcoming stays that I booked with Points & Fixed Miles before the changes were implemented?
A: For all stays with a check-in date before January 6, 2014, members who have Points & Fixed Miles may continue to receive Points & Fixed Miles for their entire stay. For stays with a check-in date on or after January 6, 2014, members with Points & Miles will automatically earn variable miles, or 10 HHonors Base Points plus 1 mile per eligible US dollar spent for most stays.* For a full list of partners and the miles you can earn, visit us here.

Q: How do I know what my Earning Style is and how do I change it?
A: Log-in to your HHonors account on HHonors.com. On your Account Overview page, select “Preferences” under “My Profile” on the left side. Once on the Preferences page, go to “MyWay Earning Style Preferences” where your current Earning Style will be listed. To change your Earning Style, click on the “Change Earning Style” link.
Print Wikipost

Hilton discontinuing Points and fixed miles earning

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
dude, can you be happy to have only 500k hhonors points
I'm very happy. Getting a week free with two rooms in a couple weeks. Will still have 200k left.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
My credit card will give me double the points of Hilton, triple on a promo.

I wonder if there will still be quarterly promotions that offer bonus miles?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:02 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Could someone, please, post the email address from which the message from HHonors was sent? Thx.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by WAS
Could someone, please, post the email address from which the message from HHonors was sent? Thx.
[email protected]
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Originally Posted by craz
Last person out remember to shut the lights.

This action is good for a low-carbon future. I had gotten into the habit, somewhere in the 1990s, of saving up 500 miles a stay, plus the occasional bonus, and then every three years I would use the miles for a couple of Europe-US tickets on AA, or some nice flights to Asia. Latterly, I have also used these miles to build up my M&M balance for the occasional upgrade.

Now all gone. There could be quite a queue of people rushing to be the last person out and wanting to turn off the lights. The light sure no longer glows so welcomingly at the Hilton. Maybe that old slogan, intended for taxi drivers in alien cities, will amend itself to "Don't Take Me to the Hilton".

Anyway, as they remove the drinks and newspapers from many lounges, why prolong the agony?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
When bmi was around, this was the best option, I racked up over 200K bmi miles. Since then have been posting to Virgin Atlantic at 1K, which transfer back to HHonors for 2K......
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
get used to program reductions across all loyalty programs.

Won't affect me--due to airline ff devaluation, I started a year ago putting all my Hilton stays on Hilton points only (ie no airline miles being earned anymore). Works for me. Properties where I have stayed in Europe and even N. America have treated me exceptionally so I am staying despite my frustrations with some aspects, most notably reward night availability for standard points for diamonds.

I have decided to just stay where I want to stay which often is Hilton properties so it works out ok but I am not totally wedded to them anymore. I always have more nights/stays than required to requalify so they will need to up their game to re-entice me to stay MORE with them.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Notenut
An update from hilton hhonors

Over the years, we have evolved and enhanced the Hilton HHonors™ program to provide benefits that deliver value and complement the way you travel...
That reminds me: I have to take my dog to the vet to be "enhanced."
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Ha. You're going to 'simplify' your dog's life.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I hope the dog enjoys his (her?) "enhancement" more than we are enjoying ours. Somehow though, I think not!
Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Since the gravy train is ending, one last 12k hurrah for many of us who net 2k HH points per stay through Virgin Atlantic:

Credit to the OP on this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...ors-stays.html
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I just noticed I had 12,700 Virgin miles, I know I can convert 10k to 20k Honors but that would waste 2700. If I stay with points/miles until I get it to 15k I would only get 1 mile per dollar; doesn't Hilton give us 5 points per dollar on points/points so I might as well forget the 2700?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Because it's Virgin, it's 2 miles/dollar, which equates to 4 HH points. It's not quite as good as points/points but I'll be staying with this in the hope that bonus points will still be available on various airlines.

As I have 18 nights coming up in January across four stays, variable points won't hurt too badly.

Another $50 of spend and two one-day Hertz rentals (if you sign up to their gold program) would take you to the 15k.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

This is disappointing news. Time will tell whether this move will be a good or bad move for Hilton HHonors. Consumer's loyalty and market trends are changing - what we were accustomed to 10-15 years ago when FT was just an infant no longer applies. Consequently, we are seeing many changes to FF and other loyalty programs, which shouldn't be a surprise. Speaking for myself, I am much more promotion driven than loyalty driven these days as a result. Echoing what BB said, Hilton hotels have treated me handsomely no matter where I go and from a value standpoint, I continue to believe Hilton hotels offer some of the best value for major franchise hotel brands. The Hilton HHonors points is another issue - the fact their points packages had almost no takers in this year's AMEX - Discover America sale is quite telling as consumers reacted to its point devaluation while keeping the cost of those points the same from years past - not surprising either.

The best course of action is just to adapt. I am not going to take this personally or react emotionally - this is business for Hilton HHonors so I will respond in kind. At this time, Marriott's Mega Bonus offer is more enticing to me so I will go out my way to give them my business despite the fact I prefer Hiltons, everything else being equal. Also, Marriott is somewhat cheaper as well, hence, instead of paying a premium to stay at Hilton & family, I will also pocket some cost savings, 2 birds in one stone. Those people who are disappointed with this news, maybe you should think about other choices that you haven't considered before due to your loyalty to Hilton, it may open your mind to new possibilities.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
I missed this thread last month, not sure why or how, and just read all six pages. I'm bummed. Well, at least I don't have to worry about the miles for the USAirways Grand Slam promotion anymore...

I've been moving stays to Marriott this year and will requal for Diamond through the Reserve Visa card. I have 4 stays and 8 nights at Hilton this year, with 1 stay/2nights the redemption of my free night certs with the Visa. Now I have 400,000 points left and a year of Diamond status to burn them.

In and of itself this particular devaluation isn't all that significant. For me it may just be the proverbial straw. After 10 plus years of Diamond loyalty I feel like I've been dumped on for the last time. It's time to move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.