Wine in room for Diamonds (UK)

Old Oct 17, 13, 5:48 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Wine in room for Diamonds (UK)

Used to get a small bottle of wine left in the room as a Diamond perk in most UK Hilton's.
A while back they seemed to switch to small jars of nuts / jelly beans / midget gems.
Recently some places seemed to be leaving wine again.

Just wondered if anyone else had started getting wine again recently?
Old Oct 17, 13, 7:14 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
My last 4 UK stays, since July, were :

Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen -- nothing at all in room.

Hilton London Gatwick -- 2 bottles of water in room.

Doubletree By Hilton Aberdeen -- 2 bottles of water in room.

Doubletree By Hilton Dundee -- 2 bottles of water in room.

That's it -- I haven't had a comp. bottle of wine for over a year in the UK, although I did receive 1 in both the Hilton Moscow and the Hilton Athens this year.

It's good to know that you are getting it however, so perhaps that will roll out (although I reckon it's unlikely !).
Old Oct 17, 13, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Missing wine in the room was discussed a few months back as part of a thread on new brand standards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...andards-3.html
A few London hotels that used to provide wine in the room did not during my stays a couple of months ago (there was ample available during the regular lounge hours).
Old Oct 18, 13, 1:37 am

Programs: Yes please
Wine??? I consider myself lucky if I get a couple of bottles of water. I have a suite booked at Avisford Park this week-end; it will be interesting to see what I get there, if anything.
Old Oct 18, 13, 2:11 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Missing wine in the room was discussed a few months back as part of a thread on new brand standards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...andards-3.html
A few London hotels that used to provide wine in the room did not during my stays a couple of months ago (there was ample available during the regular lounge hours).
Thanks, I remembered discussing it but after doing a quick search late last night couldn't find the thread!
Old Oct 18, 13, 2:46 am

I no longer seem to get the water at the Birmingham Hilton Metropole, even when I have an executive room upgrade.

Also, the "amenities package" I used to get as Diamond when they couldn't upgrade me has disappeared.
Old Oct 18, 13, 3:11 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pryonic View Post
I no longer seem to get the water at the Birmingham Hilton Metropole, even when I have an executive room upgrade.

Also, the "amenities package" I used to get as Diamond when they couldn't upgrade me has disappeared.
Seem to be seeing a lot of people not getting water, I thought this was a standard benefit to Diamonds?

Are any of the people who used to get wine now getting the nuts / sweets in the little jars instead?

On recent stays at Puckrup Hall / Bromsgrove / Swindon this was the case for me.
Old Oct 18, 13, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Water is standard for silvers! I always just ring when they've forgotten it and it's soon rectified.

The Caledonian even bought me 2 mini bottles of wine, a plate of fruit and some chocolates with my water to say sorry!

On the general topic - the docklands hilton back in August were giving me a mini bottle as a gold every time I stayed. I didn't get a voucher for a drink at the bar so I assumed it was an either/or situation - if I've not had wine at a hotel then I've had a drinks voucher.
Old Oct 18, 13, 4:54 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Now that I think back, I think I got wine in the Caley back in August and possibly in the Edinburgh Grosvenor as well.

Since then it's mostly been drinks voucher + nuts / sweets.

Did get wine recently but can't remember where!
Old Oct 18, 13, 8:02 am

Programs: HH - Diamond, EY Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by adobbing View Post
Seem to be seeing a lot of people not getting water, I thought this was a standard benefit to Diamonds?

Are any of the people who used to get wine now getting the nuts / sweets in the little jars instead?

On recent stays at Puckrup Hall / Bromsgrove / Swindon this was the case for me.
I have stayed at the London Metropolle about ten times this year. Only once did I get any water in the room. Instead I helped myself to a couple of cans of coke from the minibar. When they tried to charge me, I told them I was diamond and the water was missing so I helped myself to a couple of drinks from the minibar. They never complained and just took off the charge from my bill.
Old Oct 18, 13, 8:56 am

Wine is gone, as is the wee dram in some Scottish hotels. The new standard for Gold & Diamond is a drinks voucher, Dormen snacks and water. Should be in all hotels without a lounge and for Golds who are not given access to the lounge. There is no differentiation between Gold and Diamond on the amenity. Another example of rather pointless DIA status in the provinces.
Old Oct 18, 13, 10:02 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY Plat, IHG Plat, Visa Plat, PP Prest, BT Vip, FB Irony
Have been receiving a wine bottle in DT Tower Castle despite of the lounge still less than a month ago. Hilton Canary Wharf offered only water last time as did Hilton Paddington. Surprisingly the shacky Hilton Docklands has been offering three mini bottles of red wine per stay.

Will sample next week DT Tower, Canary Wharf, Docklands (sic!), and Paddington one night each and will report the latest news from this front.
Old Oct 18, 13, 10:07 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

As I thought, inconsistency of a consistent policy!
Old Oct 18, 13, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Over the summer at Tower Bridge Hilton, had 2 rooms and each had a small bottle of wine and 2 bottles of water that were replenished daily. ^
Old Oct 18, 13, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by adobbing View Post
Used to get a small bottle of wine left in the room as a Diamond perk in most UK Hilton's.
I haven't seen wine offered again anywhere, except where I grumbled during the change of policy that the voucher was no use because the house wine you could use it for was so rubbish and I wouldn't touch the stuff. So I still find a little bottle of wine waiting for me there .

And some properties have suites with inclusive mini-bar which if upgraded to you obviously still get the wine - both colours - with gin aperitif and whisky chaser. Etc. ^^^

And one property at least has a more casual or confused understanding of the voucher so you can get a 250ml glass of something decent with it rather than 125ml of rubbish .

At other places I usually use the voucher for a pint of Vier over the bar which is at least consistently palatable.

I do like the jars of nuts though ^. But not jelly beans .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: