Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Paying Partial Bill Halfway Thru Stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.

I have a very long stay at one Hilton coming up, multiple rooms, all under my name/account.

Is it possible to pay part of the total bill halfway thru the stay?

I want to use my Reserve card to pay the bill (to get 10 points per $) but I do not have a high enough credit limit to cover the entire total stay of all the rooms. Note, I do not want to check out and check back in (as I want to get the Quad points bonus for having a stay over 4 nights...)

I wanted to pay half the hotel bill, then pay off credit card in full, and then pay remaining bill upon checkout on the same credit card.

Will this work?? Will hotel give me trouble you think??

Thanks!!
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Call the hotel and ask.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Should not be a problem. Remember HH is content and quick to bundle consecutive night stays- this could be one instance where it works to benefit.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not a problem to have the property run $X on your account very couple of days. That can be the approximate amount due and you'll be able to pay off that balance on your CC and move forward. Many properties actually require that the bill be paid when it reaches a pre-set limit.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:25 pm

+1. No problem at all, I have done this often at various Hilton hotels.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:24 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Should not be a problem. Another option would be to pre-pay your credit card so you have a credit balance.... I hate this option as I hate paying a card early; like to maximize the float.

You might also try to see if you can get a credit increase and tell them why. You might get surprised.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by wharvey
Should not be a problem. Another option would be to pre-pay your credit card so you have a credit balance
Some "thoughtful" card issuers are quite quick to cut a refund check.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musikdude
I have a very long stay at one Hilton coming up, multiple rooms, all under my name/account.

Is it possible to pay part of the total bill halfway thru the stay?

I want to use my Reserve card to pay the bill (to get 10 points per $) but I do not have a high enough credit limit to cover the entire total stay of all the rooms. Note, I do not want to check out and check back in (as I want to get the Quad points bonus for having a stay over 4 nights...)

I wanted to pay half the hotel bill, then pay off credit card in full, and then pay remaining bill upon checkout on the same credit card.

Will this work?? Will hotel give me trouble you think??

Thanks!!
I have done this before. It should work fine. They will just post the payments to the Folios as you make them.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've always been able to go to the front desk (when they aren't busy) and ask them to apply a payment to my folio. I haven't had a problem with this (no matter whether it's a gift card, credit card, or anything else).
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
What I am concerned about is: Wouldn't the hotel take authorization for the full expected amount (plus X) upon arrival?

If credit limit if the issue then maybe A) pay with different cards (don't have to be in your name) or B) call the bank for limit increase.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:32 am

Of the hotel in which I've worked, I've seen two approaches to credit authorization for extended stays. In one hotel, the system always authorized a hold for the entire stay plus an extra amount for incidentals. The other hotel, the system was programmed to grab one week's worth of room, tax, and projected incidentals.

Without question, authorizing a hold for just one week was the most guest-friendly option. We always told the guest that she or he was welcome to pay the bill mid-stay, but it wasn't required. Once the bill approached the authorized amount, we simply got a larger hold. Every Front Desk Manager/Supervisor should be running a report that compares credit authorization against the current charges every day. So, handling extended stays in that manner isn't something that even requires special attention.

That said, I've never worked at a Hilton brand. However, I can't imagine Hilton would be dictating credit authorization methods to franchises. That fact means that each hotel might handle this topic differently. But, I can't imagine any hotel comptroller that wouldn't accept a partial payment in the middle of an extended stay.

The easiest way to know how a hotel handles this issue would be to contact the hotel. As this isn't an "every day" kind of thing, the answer that a Front Desk agent might provide might not as accurate as necessary. In my experience, a Front Desk Supervisor or Manager will have the right information. Or, anyone that works in the Accounting Department (doesn't need to be a manager).
Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
What I am concerned about is: Wouldn't the hotel take authorization for the full expected amount (plus X) upon arrival?
If the hotel handles this correctly, they take the payment from the authorisation (using the authorisation number). This does not limit the available credit.
But in my experience you have to ask them explicitly to do this. If not, some hotels just charge you and "forget" about the authorisation; this seems to be the easiest solution for them.
If this is an intermediate payment they might of course ask for a new authorisation on your card, depending on the remaining number of nights.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
You neglected to say how long is a 'long stay' so in my view a month minimum, or 2weeks of 2rooms, or 1 week of 4rooms, ie 30 nights bill.

Easiest option is on checkin ask Hotel to just place a hold on '1 weeks stay/incidentals' and that you will separately pay every 7days , whilst hotel keeps the funds held at checkin time.

Works for me, as most Credit Cards will not allow postive (in credit) balances, so by billing weekly , I could pay my CC charge weekly whilst staying clear of my CC Limit if needbe

It also means, depending on company yo work for, you can claim back your expenses weekly (or monthly on long stays).

BUT , I am suprised, for an extended stay where employee will likely max a personal CC, (where no company Diners/Amex provided) most companies will contact hotel and arrange to pay for the stay direct themselves or even book your room on the company.

If really that long a stay, you really should raise the issue with both your manager and company personel department, unless you are using your personal CC for spending rebates/points, especially if you are entitled to a company card.

Last edited by scubaccr; Oct 13, 2013 at 8:17 am
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:18 pm
whl

I am currently staying in a Hilton property for 7 weeks, started around end of September until early November. I actually prefer them to bill me at the end of my 7 weeks but they have already charged my credit card twice by the end of my 3rd week. My credit line is not an issue. These two charges are not authorisation hold but actual charges that were posted to my Citibank HH Reserve card.

In my previous long stays, Hilton has always charged my credit card every 1 or 2 weeks although I preferred to pay one bill when I check out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.