Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park {PRT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
GUIDE to the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park

Rua Engeneiro Vieira da Silva 2, Lisbon, 1050-105, Portugal
TEL: +351-21-0410600; FAX: +351-21-3579244
Email [email protected]
Website https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/portugal/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-lisbon-fontana-park-LISFPDI/index.html
Location: Saldanha residential neighborhood, two blocks south Praça Duque de Saldanha

Check-in: 2:00 pm, Check-out: 12:00 pm
Currency: Euro (€)
Parking: Self parking: 15.00 €
Service animals allowed: Yes
Pets allowed: No
Non-Smoking (Smoking area is available in the patio, outside sheltered pub lounge
Avoid rooms x53 in front of lifts
Streetside rooms noisy

F&B: Saldanha Mar, for Portuguese and Mediterranean dishes
Fontana Bar & Lounge, snacks and drinks, dedicated reading space
Link to page with hours, links to menus
When dining at the hotel children under 5 years old eat free when staying at the hotel, and children aged between 6-12 receive a 50% discount. Children over 12 years pay full price.

Conveniences:
Lounge: No
Business Center: Yes
Power in room: 220 VAC Euro, UK (no multivolt outlet in bathroom, no USB power outlets)
Lighting in room: adequate
Heat & air: Central, thermostat nearly useless
Fitness Center: Yes, 24 hr TechnoGym
Pool: No
Market across street
Neighborhood restaurants, banks

LIS Airport distance from Hotel: 5.3 km.
Drive Time: 12 min in minimal traffic
Taxi: 12 € (bag and night surcharges)
Metro: 2.00 € (red line, 2 long blocks to Saldanha station)
Bus: 3.50 €
30 minutes walk to Rossio Square downtown
See post #64 for maps, below for links
Best bet for breakfast, lunch, pastries is Pastelaria Versailles, ten minutes walk, opulent interiors and excellent baked goods etc. since 1922.
Good informal family restaurant nearby, Mãe (Mom’s), ten minutes walking at 92B Rua D. Estefania
Best museum nearby, 20 minutes walk, the Callouste Gulbenkian Museum. Opulent gardens, world class art collections.

Link to Lisboa Metro home page, map and schedule links (English version)
Link to Lisbon Metro Guide
Link to Carris Lisbon bus system home page (English version)
Link to Hop-on Hop-off Lisbon home page

Link to Lonely Planet - Lisbon Pages
Link to Trip Advisor Lisbon pages
Link to The Fork / La Fourchette pages for dining and booking dining (App is very handy)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrLee
Hi all,

Dare I ask if anyone has any recent experiences at this property to share, please?

My friend and I will be going to Portugal for 2 weeks in September, spending a week at the Conrad Algarve and a week in Lisbon. I will be using my HH points for both stays.

I'm really looking forward to staying at the Conrad, but I can't really say the same for the DT after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. As I'm not travelling for business on this occasion, I'm also concerned about the location - although there seems to be conflicting comments about the location of the hotel.

Due to no twin rooms being available at the DT for my dates, I, reluctantly, had to go for the Junior Suite. My friend does have points to redeem at the Radisson but after seeing the location I said I would book the DT. I even thought about 328,000 points and looking for an AirBnB in Lisbon!

Any views would be very much welcomed!
We spent 4 nights this month and the breakfast and service are very good. The style is memorable. The location was good in my opinion. Unless there was something you had to be close to, I can't understand why the location would be bad.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:53 am

probably one of my least favourite hotels in the chain, but being a points whore, I still stay there, when in Lisbon.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tezzer
probably one of my least favourite hotels in the chain, but being a points whore, I still stay there, when in Lisbon.
I would love to see a list of the places you've stayed in the chain compared to mine. I'll bet your worst place is better than my worst place.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:11 pm

Does anyone know why this hotel seems to be so much more expensive than most other Lisbon properties? I checked for a range of dates towards the end of this month and the rates were substantially higher than the Intercontinental in Lisbon. Is there a reason for that?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
Need to drop 2 nites out of 5 of award resssie but hotel is sold out

I have a 5 night award reservation at this property from Oct 27-Nov 1. Since I booked, the hotel has sold out. Due to some change in our itinerary, I now only need the last 3 nights in my reservation. I called HH diamond desk to ask if I can drop the first 2 nights and get a recredit of the points. They said NO, I will have to cancel the entire reservation and re book. The only problem is there are no more award rooms available at this time.

Can I call the hotel and ask them to cancel the first 2 nights and keep the remaining 3 or am I risking losing the entire reservation if it's not done properly?

If I decide to just keep the original reservation and just let the unused nights and points go, will the hotel cancel my reservation if I don't show up on the first night or check in date?

What would be your suggestion to best handle this situation?

Thank you very much 'in advance for all your suggestions!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:12 pm
Suspended

No show won't work. You can call, but the odds probably aren't all that good. Not only are there no more award rooms, there are no rooms period.

Edit: Going one night at a time, you can get a room for the 29th and the 30th, but not the 31st. It might be worth a call.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
Originally Posted by IcHot
No show won't work. You can call, but the odds probably aren't all that good. Not only are there no more award rooms, there are no rooms period.
Thanks ICHOT. Is there something going on at the hotel or the area - the hotel is sold out on the dates I need Oct 29-Nov 1 while there's good availability at other dates around this weekend that I need? Not sure if you're a Lisbon local so I thought I'd ask you.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pocahontas
Thanks ICHOT. Is there something going on at the hotel or the area - the hotel is sold out on the dates I need Oct 29-Nov 1 while there's good availability at other dates around this weekend that I need? Not sure if you're a Lisbon local so I thought I'd ask you.
I have no idea. I saw that you could make reservations for each night separately except for the last one, so they may amend it.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT

If you haven't done so already call the hotel directly during their business hours or email them. I stayed here a few weeks back and the customer service is really good.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Trip Report

I stayed at the Doubletree Lisbon Fontana Park on a family vacation to Lisbon. I booked 2 rooms using cash and points. The rate was 12K HH points plus €38 per night per room. Note, I grabbed this almost 9+ months out. Cash rate was also good early on.

We were put on the 5th floor with 2 rooms across the hall from each other. The 5th floor is the Hilton Honors floor. One room had a ledge along the wall which was perfect for putting the luggage on top for easier access. Originally we requested connecting rooms but they don’t have that on the 5th floor/Honors floor.

Yes, the hallway color scheme (black on black) is weird but I went on TA and read the reviews and saw the pictures so I knew what to expect. Rooms inside are fine. Also, the elevator/lift is small and initially I kept bumping into the mirror in the dark/black lift thinking it was bigger inside.

I was Hilton Gold during my stay received full breakfast buffet every morning for my entire group, i.e. both rooms. We provided the room numbers when entering the breakfast area. The buffet was good and filled us up till about 2pm-ish and great for our touring schedule.

Hotel location is pretty good. There are a couple of malls in the Saldanha roundabout area. The malls have food courts downstairs. Since we weren’t too hungry in the evenings after touring all day we ate our evening meals here, mainly for the kids, before heading back to the hotel to crash.

There are 2 metro stations close by but we didn’t take the metro. Instead we booked the hop on hop off double decker bus tour per the front desk’s recommendations. The red bus starts at Pombal roundabout/circle in the morning. Fortunately it is a downhill walk from the hotel. The bus drops you off at Saldanha roundabout on the way back so it is an easier walk back to the hotel. PM me if you want more information on the tour.

The customer service at this hotel is excellent. If you are HH Gold or Diamond and traveling on vacation, it is no brainer based on the low redemption rate and the free breakfast plus WiFi.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Doubletree in Lisbon

I could not find any reviews of the Doubletree in Lisbon. Has anyone stayed there recently. I booked it for January for 4 nights.

Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JackieC2
I could not find any reviews of the Doubletree in Lisbon. Has anyone stayed there recently. I booked it for January for 4 nights.

Thanks!
There's a thread on it. Fontana Park. Good breakfast, great service. Unusual decor. Nice area.

We liked it. You won't easily forget you stayed there.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
A nice DoubleTree

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park

Rua Eng. Vieira da Silva, 2 Lisbon, PT 1050-105

A nice DoubleTree (0 Photo)

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park

As far as DoubleTrees go this fits the mould pretty well.

Check In

Check-in was professional and efficient. I was informed that as I Diamond member I was entitled to two bottles of water and to simply take them from the minibar and they would be deducted from my account. I was also offered a DoubleTree cookie.

Room

I had booked a king superior room with Juliett balcony and was upgraded to a king deluxe room with city view which does not come with an outdoor area.

The room was quite large with a nice kind bed, reasonable size TV, shower/tub combo and good hanging space.

In what can only be considered an amazing display of stupidity there are only two powerpoints in the living area. One is located upside down under the desk. The other is located directly opposite the bed mattress, not adjacent but opposite. With an adaptor I had to move the mattress in order to use it. What's worse, when you remove the keycard from the reader the powerpoints deactivate meaning you can't charge devices when you're out of the room. Ludicrous.

The shower had one speed: super fast. You turned it on a little or a lot and it was the one speed. Waste of water, really. Importantly, there is a glass screen between the shower and the living area which is see through. In other words, while your showing, your room companion is free to gawk at you. Again, very poor planning.

In a similar display or architecture half-arseness there is no toilet roll holder, just a metal rod sticking out of the wall.

And there are only two hooks, not rods, in which to hang your towels, one of which was broken in my room. So if you wanted to be environmental conscious (or just normal) and re-use your towel you had to hope for a hot night without AC so that your towel dried.

Service

Service was pretty regular DoubleTree. It wasn't outstanding but I didn't find it lacking in anyway.

One evening I took my laptop and sat in the downstairs bar area. I wanted to try a decent whisky and the bartender gave a couple of choices with comments on both. Unfortunately the wifi in the hotel was down although strangely I was able to connect in my room without issue.

Dining

The hotel doesn't have a lounge so breakfast was the full spread in the lobby restaurant. My first morning was a Sunday and I was pleasantly to find a solo gutiarist and vocalist playing and singing in the restaurant. It was something I'd never come across before.

The spread was what I would consider pretty standard for a DoubleTree: not extensive but perfectly adequate. There were no cooked-to-order items. The plates were the size of side plates which was odd and as usual the hot drinks were not hot, just warm. There were plenty of staff to clear tables.

I found the location quite sufficient for my needs. It's a pleasant enough 30-40 minute walk to downtown Lisbon but taxis are very cheap. I took a taxi from the airport and from the back seat could not seat the meter. I was fully expecting to be presented with an inflated price and have to insist on something less but after about a 25 minute ride in the late evening the total was less than EUR10 which became EUR14 (presumably with a bag tax). The hotel website suggests EUR12 and I was going to give EUR15 so I was quite satisfied with the final price.

A nice DoubleTree

Would you like to write a review on the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lisbon - Fontana Park?

No, thank you.
Yes
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Strategy for Diamond

So I'm a phony HHonors Diamond (promiscuous status match from Hyatt Diamond) and don't know the ropes...

I just booked three nights late Spring in this hotel, in the King Deluxe Room with Private Terrace. Then I thought to look at this thread.

The trip is part of a vacation thing with spouse, so the more room etc. the better. This said, I have a taste as well for something for nothing.

So should I be booking a room down a notch and counting on an upgrade to this room type (as seems to have happened in a couple of cases down-thread)?

Or, having gone in for this room, do I keep fingers crossed for an upgrade to King Junior Suite (i.e., has that happened to/for anyone)?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Diamonds get downgrade?

Had booked a King Deluxe room for the weekend which had this description

"Courtyard view, 25 sq. m., WiFi, mini-bar.

Full-length sliding windows lead to the Juliette balcony in this contemporary 25 sq. m./269 sq. ft. superior room. Relax on the king-sized bed in this elegant room with simple lines in black, grey and white tones. Unwind in the stylish bathroom decorated with black stone and glass elements."

Checked in to a pokey dark room overlooking the street with one small window. Appeared from the website that we had been allocated a standard King even though the hotel was very quiet. Road noise was a real problem. Loathed the bathroom. There is only one door which can either close the bathroom or the loo. Close the loo door and it's a small dark cave with a single strip light.

Style over function seems to be the trademark of this property. Hated the style - very confusing with all the black and glass and very low level of lighting.

Breakfast on Saturday was OK. Sunday was a zoo. It wasn't that busy but the staff just didn't cope. 25 minute wait for coffee and most plates on the buffet were empty. Drank our coffee and had breakfast elsewhere.

The location is OK with a Metro 5 minutes away but we won't be returning as there are much better choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.