Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Paris Opera {FRA} (France)

Hilton Paris Opera {FRA} (France)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:27 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Hilton Paris Opéra, Paris, France

Hilton Paris Opéra
108 Rue Saint Lazare, Paris, 75008, France
TEL: 33-1-40084444 FAX: 33-1-42930120
General Manager: Sofia L. Vandaele
HHonors Reward Category: 9
Opened for booking as Hilton 1 Mar 2014

Hotel Information:
Check-in: 3:00 pm; Check-out: 12:00 pm
Smoking: Available
Parking: Valet or Self parking: 30.00 €
Pets: Service animals allowed: Yes; Pets allowed: No
Executive Lounge: Yes (suites, executive room and Diamond access)

Location: Link to Google maps; 1 block south Gare Saint-Lazare rail station; close by Sainte-Lazare Metro. Roissybus from CDG info link and link to Google map from Opéra Garnier to property (650 meters via Rue Aubert).
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 8, 15, 10:29 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I popped in here today as I'm staying in Paris until tomorrow, I'm staying at an independent hotel this time as I can't justify £300 per night at the hilton, however I did pop in for a coffee out of curiosity and afterwards had a look in the exec lounge.......( door open, no staff around?)...... Very nice......main bar area is nice too...very plush, I can see why prices are high!.
I didn't like the area though , lots of dirty streets and approached buy beggars .
Nice hotel.....wrong area....in my opinion .

Last edited by wizla; Aug 27, 15 at 10:01 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 31, 15, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I did a two night award stay as Diamond and boy was I disappointed. I usually stay at the nearby IC Le Grand and I had thought I would compare this hotel with Le Grand. They are in the same area and on the surface the same class of hotel, but it turns out the Hilton isn't even in the same league. Yet it costs more!?!?! I had to add a third night in Paris and instead booked the cheapest Holiday Inn for €67 and it turned out to be better than the €300 Hilton.

Both the Hilton and HI gave me, a top status holder, an Executive room. Housekeeping at the Hilton is very poor. Cobwebs in the room, poor job of cleaning on the second day, used beer glasses left out, garbage cans stacked together in the bathroom, etc. The floor of this room was flimsy leading to an overall feeling of poor quality. The HI had a slightly smaller, but overall a better quality Executive room.

The HI doesn't have a club, but if I try to compare the Hilton EL with the club at the IC Le Grand it isn't even close. The Hilton EL is more like a club in the US. No spirits, no Champagne, only cheap wine, Heineken (I think), and Fischer beer which is OK. But everyone was drinking the Fischer so it kept running out. And the food is mostly terrible. And the EL is very tiny and thus no place to sit if you arrive 10 minutes after happy hour begins. Le Grand has great food, full drinks with Champagne and two floors with plenty of space. And you can check in/out in the Club at Le Grand. No such service at the Hilton.

I'll not stay here again. The new Astor Saint Honoré Curio property is the only Hilton I would consider in central Paris.

Oh, and one more thing. At check in they gave me a coupon for 500 points if I spent more than €25 at the bar. But it was the type of thing you had to fill out with a pen and of course the bartender had no idea what it was. I won't be holding my breath for those 500 points.
Old Aug 31, 15, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I did a two night award stay as Diamond and boy was I disappointed. I usually stay at the nearby IC Le Grand and I had thought I would compare this hotel with Le Grand. They are in the same area and on the surface the same class of hotel, but it turns out the Hilton isn't even in the same league. Yet it costs more!?!?! I had to add a third night in Paris and instead booked the cheapest Holiday Inn for €67 and it turned out to be better than the €300 Hilton.

Both the Hilton and HI gave me, a top status holder, an Executive room. Housekeeping at the Hilton is very poor. Cobwebs in the room, poor job of cleaning on the second day, used beer glasses left out, garbage cans stacked together in the bathroom, etc. The floor of this room was flimsy leading to an overall feeling of poor quality. The HI had a slightly smaller, but overall a better quality Executive room.

The HI doesn't have a club, but if I try to compare the Hilton EL with the club at the IC Le Grand it isn't even close. The Hilton EL is more like a club in the US. No spirits, no Champagne, only cheap wine, Heineken (I think), and Fischer beer which is OK. But everyone was drinking the Fischer so it kept running out. And the food is mostly terrible. And the EL is very tiny and thus no place to sit if you arrive 10 minutes after happy hour begins. Le Grand has great food, full drinks with Champagne and two floors with plenty of space. And you can check in/out in the Club at Le Grand. No such service at the Hilton.

I'll not stay here again. The new Astor Saint Honoré Curio property is the only Hilton I would consider in central Paris.

Oh, and one more thing. At check in they gave me a coupon for 500 points if I spent more than €25 at the bar. But it was the type of thing you had to fill out with a pen and of course the bartender had no idea what it was. I won't be holding my breath for those 500 points.
I agree about the EL. Does the IC Lounge in Paris have spirits? I complained about no spirits in the EL on my TripAdvisor review and they responded that the liquor laws allow no free spirits and they can only give out beer and wine. I f the IC lounge has free spirits then they were obviously lying to me
Old Sep 1, 15, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I agree about the EL. Does the IC Lounge in Paris have spirits? I complained about no spirits in the EL on my TripAdvisor review and they responded that the liquor laws allow no free spirits and they can only give out beer and wine. I f the IC lounge has free spirits then they were obviously lying to me
Yes they were lying to you. The IC lounge has a full set of spirits at happy hour(s) and Champagne all day long including breakfast. It's been a while since I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Paris, but I think they have free spirits in their lounge too.

Or perhaps it was a half-truth in that the Hilton does not have or does not want to pay for such a liquor license?
Old Sep 1, 15, 11:06 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, HH SILVER, SPG LT PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla View Post
I didn't like the area though , lots of dirty streets and approached buy beggars .Nice hotel.....wrong area....in my opinion .
+1
I never understood why Hilton moved there
Old Sep 2, 15, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geilux View Post
+1
I never understood why Hilton moved there
I think I understand now. They believe that the Hilton name will automatically get business with any relatively decent property in central Paris near tourist destinations. They count on that with American and English tourists and businesspeople. So they just got in with the cheapest property they could get their hands on given that criteria. That also explains the poor EL and spotty service. They appear to be getting away with it as the hotel was full last weekend when I was there. Hiltons don't have to be good. Just good enough.
Old Sep 2, 15, 1:58 am

Based on the feedback here I cancelled a 3-nighter next month at Opera (for 3 rooms) and moved to the Hotel Astor. Saved quite a bit of money as the Opera is very expensive, and since I am only Gold chances of upgrades and EL are slim to none apparently. I won't bother then. Normally I'd go for something independent in Paris, but the promo is enticing.

Thanks for the reviews.
Old Sep 2, 15, 4:53 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by view View Post
Based on the feedback here I cancelled a 3-nighter next month at Opera (for 3 rooms) and moved to the Hotel Astor. Saved quite a bit of money as the Opera is very expensive, and since I am only Gold chances of upgrades and EL are slim to none apparently. I won't bother then. Normally I'd go for something independent in Paris, but the promo is enticing.

Thanks for the reviews.
i was gonna stay here too but based on the feeback here and the 300 euro per night price tag, like yourself i cancelled too........i booked an independent hotel not far from the eiffel tower ( 5 min walk) called the PLAZA TOUR EIFFEL HOTEL and found it to be half the price and very good too......i can recommend!
Old Sep 6, 15, 7:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, LC Aurelian, LCAH Gold, MR Silver, LH M&M Frequent Traveller
As I know the hotel and its location I would like to comment on the critizism about it here in the past posts.

It is of course not located at Place Vendome, Rue Saint-Honore, Rue du Fabourg Saint-Honore. Those locations result in double or triple the rates you pay at Hilton Opera.

The location is a typical Paris central location with good and fast access to the hot spots. Yes the train station is there, yes you will see clochards. But come on, that area is not dangerous or shabby in particular. Clochards are not per se pickpockets, robbers or tricksters, which can be found everywhere in Paris, and I experienced them at the so called "better locations" and not at Hilton Opera. The hotel is safe, absolutely.

Families from everywhere with a Gold or Diamond VIP receive full buffet breakfast for free. That should be considered, as Paris is expensive for tourists, and it is important to be prepared with a good breakfast for an interesting and exciting, but also maybe exhausting and stressful day in Paris with so many new and rich impressions of life and culture, places to go (and find first!), foreign language and mentality.

The lounge is at it is, I think all our comments here will not turn it into the Le Grand Intercontinental lounge, different concept, I do not believe there is a Hilton strategy in general as one of us said here (not "good", but "good enough"), it is a local matter in my eyes. Hilton has fantastic lounges e.g. in Berlin and Dresden, and the hotels are also in prime locations there. Well, champagne should be served in the lounge, especially in Paris, come on Dear Hilton Paris Opera, that will not ruin your business, on the contrary, you will have a lot more Flyertalkers and connoiseurs as guests
Old Sep 8, 15, 8:32 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Originally Posted by submonte View Post
Well, champagne should be served in the lounge, especially in Paris, come on Dear Hilton Paris Opera, that will not ruin your business, on the contrary, you will have a lot more Flyertalkers and connoiseurs as guests
Champagne! That alone is a deal maker for me! I long for the days of the Hilton Eiffel Tower free flow champagne all day...
Old Sep 11, 15, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond / SPG Plat100 / MR Plat
Better then expected

After reading the reviews here, I almost cancelled my reservation at the Hilton Paris Opera. I'm glad I didn't. Booked online a few days before, rate was EUR 399 for the Standard Room for a two night stay.

On the morning of the arrival, did the online check in and I was upgraded to a Queen Deluxe. Arrived at 4pm, and asked about a possible upgrade. The check in agent was extremely nice, and told me I had a very nice room, but she could upgrade to an Executive Room if I wished. She acknowledged my Diamond membership. I was happy to stay with the Queen Deluxe, as she said was a nicer room. She offered to show me the Executive room if I wanted, which I declined. Diamond arrival gift was a tasting set of Valrhona chocolates, and a large bottle of Evian water, along with a hand written note from the Front Desk Manager. Regular bottles of water were also provided daily.

The hotel was recently renovated. The lobby and lobby bar/restaurant look really nice. The room looks exactly as the pictures on the hotel's website. It's all brand new, very comfortable beddings and the windows block all the noise from the busy street. The bathroom is very good, with heated floor and the size is very good for Paris.

Breakfast is offered for Diamonds both at the Executive Lounge and at the Restaurant, which are located next to each other. The lounge is less busy, and the offerings are very similar (eggs cooked to order, etc). I had breakfast at the restaurant on both days, and the service was a little bit slow (waited around 5-10 minutes to be offered coffee).

The Executive Lounge had an excellent offering during the day, with cakes, pastries and healthy snacks available throughout the afternoon. Happy hour started at 6, but I did not stay there (you are in Paris after all, why would you waste your time at the lounge??). They offered hot snacks (pizza, pastries), and wine/spirits/beers. The picture shows the afternoon offerings.

I met with the General Manager, who is a member of Flyertalk and has posted on this thread. She explained how they are trying to improve the service, and we discussed the importance of keeping an eye on Flyertalk and talk to the customers here.

The only issue I had was, on the second day, someone woke me up at 8:30am, and tried to open the door, even though DND sign was posted.

Welcome gift

Lobby bar

Executive Lounge - Afternoon

Old Sep 11, 15, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billygui View Post
After reading the reviews here, I almost cancelled my reservation at the Hilton Paris Opera. I'm glad I didn't. Booked online a few days before, rate was EUR 399 for the Standard Room for a two night stay.
Glad you enjoyed your stay. That's the important thing. But I have to say that for €399 you could do a lot better in Paris.
Old Sep 11, 15, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Glad you enjoyed your stay. That's the important thing. But I have to say that for €399 you could do a lot better in Paris.
I would never pay 399EU to stay there, especially how I was treated in July on a points stay (was a good use of points). Maybe they don't give welcome gifts to people on points? If I'm treated great by a hotel when using points I will be a lot more likely to return when I'm paying (like the Bentley in Miami).
Old Sep 11, 15, 8:47 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles

On the morning of the arrival, did the online check in and I was upgraded to a Queen Deluxe. Arrived at 4pm, and asked about a possible upgrade. The check in agent was extremely nice, and told me I had a very nice room, but she could upgrade to an Executive Room if I wished. She acknowledged my Diamond membership. I was happy to stay with the Queen Deluxe, as she said was a nicer room. She offered to show me the Executive room if I wanted, which I declined. Diamond arrival gift was a tasting set of Valrhona chocolates, and a large bottle of Evian water, along with a hand written note from the Front Desk Manager. Regular bottles of water were also provided daily.

The hotel was recently renovated. The lobby and lobby bar/restaurant look really nice. The room looks exactly as the pictures on the hotel's website. It's all brand new, very comfortable beddings and the windows block all the noise from the busy street. The bathroom is very good, with heated floor and the size is very good for Paris.

Breakfast is offered for Diamonds both at the Executive Lounge and at the Restaurant, which are located next to each other. The lounge is less busy, and the offerings are very similar (eggs cooked to order, etc). I had breakfast at the restaurant on both days, and the service was a little bit slow (waited around 5-10 minutes to be offered coffee).

The Executive Lounge had an excellent offering during the day, with cakes, pastries and healthy snacks available throughout the afternoon. Happy hour started at 6, but I did not stay there (you are in Paris after all, why would you waste your time at the lounge??). They offered hot snacks (pizza, pastries), and wine/spirits/beers. The picture shows the afternoon offerings.

I met with the General Manager, who is a member of Flyertalk and has posted on this thread. She explained how they are trying to improve the service, and we discussed the importance of keeping an eye on Flyertalk and talk to the customers here.

The only issue I had was, on the second day, someone woke me up at 8:30am, and tried to open the door, even though DND sign was posted.
Thanks for the report and pics! Will give it a good look next time!
Old Sep 11, 15, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton

The lounge looks quite ghastly for such a nice property in such a wonderful city. No nice easy chairs and comfortable seating?

Search this Thread