Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online Check-In or OLCI: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by jefftiger
Same experience here. For the first time since last year, I was able to do online check in yesterday. In recent months, I'd always get a "404" error.
Spoke too soon. I'm getting this now for everything.

Certainly wouldn't want to go to hilton.com or anything....

The site has really been messed up for the last couple weeks especially. Usually it's pretty good after a refresh.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Avis First/Preferred, Hertz 5*
Yeah I am getting 404 now when trying to go to the main page. Glad I was able to do the OLCI for my stay tonight...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dot_net
Yeah I am getting 404 now when trying to go to the main page. Glad I was able to do the OLCI for my stay tonight...
Don't count on it taking. HH website may have been reloaded with old code so just because the front end does something doesn't mean the back end is doing it too.

The few times I've used OLCI it was more of a farce. Most times the hotel changed my room when I arrived. Not sure if they gave away my selected room or if it was actually ready by the time I arrived.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), SPG, Marriott Rewards, ALoyalty, Club Carlson, M&M
I never see one of these beautiful 404 doors, but invariably the following message:

"We're sorry, we are unable to complete your eCheck-in at this time. However, your reservation is confirmed. Please stop by the Front Desk upon arrival to pick up your key packet. We look forward to seeing you."

The only hotel with a working OLCI for me is the Hilton Berlin, Germany, though checking in online there does not mean your room is always ready at your designated check-in time, but at least you can be sure of the room category you'll get.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Avis First/Preferred, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Don't count on it taking. HH website may have been reloaded with old code so just because the front end does something doesn't mean the back end is doing it too.

The few times I've used OLCI it was more of a farce. Most times the hotel changed my room when I arrived. Not sure if they gave away my selected room or if it was actually ready by the time I arrived.
The OLCI did work, and gave me the room I requested at check in. Even the FD was surprised, telling me he hadn't seen one in about 6 months.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: DAL Plat, HH LT Diamond
Why does online check in NEVER WORK?

have tried on my last 3 reservations... no dice:

"We're sorry, we are unable to complete your eCheck-in at this time. However, your reservation is confirmed. Please stop by the Front Desk upon arrival to pick up your key packet. We look forward to seeing you. "

what's the point?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
There is little to no point to eCheck in. Even when it does work online, it's iffy whether they actually put you in the room you checked into. I checked into a top floor room at a Hampton in Traverse City, Michigan, and when I arrived, I was in a lower floor room. The FDC said he was "allowed" to put me in another room, as long as it was the same room type. Incidentally, my online preferences indicate high floor as well.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
The other issue with this feature is that you can check into a room that isn't ready yet. Then when you physically arrive, they won't let you into the room because it isn't ready yet. I've had this happen, and then the FDC wouldn't put me into another room, because she couldn't change my room once I eChecked in. The kicker is, this was the same Hampton at which the other FDC said he could move me after eCheck in. So apparently the rules depend upon what is convenient for hotel personnel.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
OLCI routinely works for me. I find room moves to be rare once OLCI is completed.

I use it more so to view the room that the hotel has pre-assigned to me so that if I don't like it I can pre-emptively call and get moved.

Last edited by LedgeT; Jun 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
When one checks in early online, they lose the ability to cancel by the original deadline. A lot of hotels allow cancellations up to 6 p.m. on the day of arrival. If I check in early that day on line and something happens to disrupt my plans, I am already checked in and can not cancel.

Bottom line is that the on line check in feature is a huge benefit to the hotel and usually a minor benefit to the traveler.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Insanity:

doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by LedgeT
OLCI routinely works for me. I find room moves to be rare once OLCI is completed.

I use it more so to view the room that the hotel has pre-assigned to me so that if I don't like it I can per-emptively call and get moved.
Has worked well for me at the Homewood. Was able to select a top floor and non-adjoining room. I like the feature.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, HHonors Diamond (earned), Aer Lingus Gold Circle, ex-UA,ex-NZ
Originally Posted by batdude
what's the point?
On the rare occasions it has worked for me, it has sometimes enabled me to lock in a particular upgraded room. But as I'm mostly travelling by myself, upgrades aren't so valuable.
My main complaint is that even after an OLCI, they still want to swipe my credit card and collect a signature. These are the time-consuming bits that, IMHO, OLCI should mean are not required. They already know and have authority on my card from the res and the OLCI, so why ask for it again?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Bottom line is that the on line check in feature is a huge benefit to the hotel and usually a minor benefit to the traveler.
Agreed. I have sworn off OLCI.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:09 am

Of the last 8 stays, it has only worked 2 times. It has never worked on stays longer than one night. Strange. I would either fix the option or don't offer it. Otherwise, people will get frustrated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.