FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Garden Inn Hanoi {VNM} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1486288-hilton-garden-inn-hanoi-vnm.html)

IggySD Jul 19, 2013 4:42 am

Hilton Garden Inn Hanoi {VNM}

Not sure if HGI's are worthy of master threads but I couldn't find any info about this hotel on the boards and figure at some point, someone will ask for opinions between the HGI and the Hilton Opera.

Was in Hanoi last week and the price differential between the two was about $50 so I figured I'd save some money and went with the HGI.

This is a recently opened property (01APR13), I believe the building itself is a renovation of a previous hotel but not sure about that. Location is about 3 blocks south of the Hilton Opera (and very close to the Hanoi version of Ngon restaurant which everyone on the Park Hyatt Saigon thread is crazy about) so location really shouldn't be much of a consideration. My fixed taxi was 350k from the airport and 370k back to the airport which I believe is standard. Make sure to have the address written out though since it's such a new place I'm not sure most cabbies will know it.

Rooms are fine, typical HGI rooms, although the bathroom has a window facing the room and for some reason the blinds are in the room itself rather than the bathroom. Heads up if you're sharing a room with someone and don't want them to open the blinds to see your naughty bits.

The big problem with the room though is the noise from the street. There is a balcony which, although the glass door to it is locked, it's not completely sealed so a LOT of noise comes through. Very noticeable when you're sitting at the desk, not too bad once in bed but lighter sleepers might need earplugs. Alternatively you could request a room away from the road, the view isn't so great that you'd be missing anything.

Staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, they followed me out the door my first day to make sure I knew where I was going. They were also shocked that I was taking the bus to get around town (it's easy and cheap, the routes are integrated into Google maps and it's 5k dong per trip).

Breakfast is a step up from US versions of HGI although not near the level of full service Asian properties. Still, it's more than adequate with pastries, fruits, cheeses, rice and noodles, bacon, sausage, yogurt as well as an egg and noodle station so you can start your day off with some pho.

No lounge obviously so no evening cocktails but booze and food are extremely cheap (there's a fun beer hall just about 2 blocks away) in Hanoi.

But the best thing, for me, was the laundry. It's supposed to be easy and cheap to get laundry done in Vietnam but I couldn't find anywhere that had a fast enough turn around. There is a Western style washer and dryer in the hotel with detergent available in the lobby. It was very nice to be able to do my own laundry and have it done in a couple of hours.

In summary I'd say a $50 difference is just about worth it, less if they fix the noise or it's quieter on the non road side. If the price differential between the HGI and Hilton Opera is closer to $20-$25 it's probably worth staying at the full service hotel.

mikew99 May 24, 2014 9:52 am

I have found precious little information about the HGI in Hanoi, but what I found was largely favorable. I've just checked in to this hotel, but these are my initial impressions:

There are no usable outlets near the bed, which is inexcusable in a new/newly renovated property.

The RFID-based keycard must be placed in a slot near the door to operate the A/C. Normally, you can stick just any old card in the slot, but that trick doesn't work here. This means that instead of returning to a crisp, comfortable room, you return to a musty, hot one instead. And with a 40C/100F heat wave in Hanoi right now, it takes time for the room to cool down. For spring/summer stays, this one's a deal-breaker; I'll simply have to look elsewhere in the future.

There is a convenience store of sorts off the lobby where you can purchase drinks and such to store in the fridge, but the prices are insane, such as 40K VND for a soda that costs 8K in a convenience store. Just say no, and go elsewhere for your sundries.

Also, nothing to do with the hotel, but I couldn't for the life of me find any sort of fixed taxi from the Hanoi airport, even after asking several people (both workers and travelers). The heat clearly got to me, so I ended up making a return booking from the tourist information desk for US$50, ouch!

sannmann May 25, 2014 3:16 am

HGI Hanoi Review

Stayed there last year on points. On the afternoon of night five, power went out, and I was moved over to the Hilton Opera. The HGI is pretty good as a lower cost Hilton family option.

mikew99 May 25, 2014 4:07 am

I'm also on a point stay at 10K points per night (versus 24K points for the Hilton Opera). Although hotels in Hanoi are generally inexpensive, I'm using points left over from 2013's Daily Getaway deals, so the 10K points cost me only US$50. This is still a good discount over the lowest advanced purchase price I saw (US$64++, about US$77 a.i.).

If I were paying, I think I would spring for the Hilton (a.p. US$92++) instead of using points -- or choose for one of the serviced apartments nearby that cost about the same price.

whl Nov 19, 2014 6:26 am

Hilton Garden Inn Hanoi

I did a search and couldn't find any thread on Hilton Garden Inn Hanoi. I booked a 3 nights stay in December. A bargain for 10,000 points a night.

Approx how much is the taxi fare from the airport to Hilton Garden Inn?

Anything I should be aware of the hotel??

pmarrsouth Nov 19, 2014 6:39 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...oi-review.html

kapkap46 Nov 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Just spent 3 nights there.

Good

1. Fabulous staff , cannot do enough for you from Top to Bottom.

2. Location is ok $2 taxi gets you about anywhere you want to go and they park at the Hotel.

3. Breakfast Buffet is adequate if not spectacular.

4. WiFi was excellent and I found plenty of plugs where you need them on the desk.

Bad.

1.Rooms are comfortable except for bathrooms. Tub/Shower combinations are hard to get in and out of and with no saftey rails. If you ask for shower only , you will get a Handicapped Bathroom where somehow no drains were put in for the shower.

So floor gets soaked and maid has to come in and clean up every time you use shower.

2. Do not use their car for airport pick up etc. They wanted $65 to pick up at airport which is just ridiculous. We used Hanoi Transfer SErvice , nice van $32 Roundtrip 1/4 the price the price the Hotel would rip you off.

Overall still good value if you are nimble enough for the tub/ shower combination.

Considered the Hilton Opera but too many reviews mentioning old and musty and dated.

kapkap46 Nov 26, 2014 8:06 pm

Used Hanoi Transfer Service for pick up to and from airport. 3 of us with luggage. Nice Van $32 RT which is 1/4 the price the Hotel quoted. (ridiculous)

If you don't need to use points there are some fabulous Boutique Hotels in the middle of the action for $50-60 (depending on dates) and the rooms will be at least as good and probably superior. Essence is one that is really nice and well located.

mster Jun 3, 2015 9:14 am

Solid stay here so far - for 10k a night it's not quite the value of the Kuala Lumpur / Beijing DoubleTrees, but it's still a steal. +1 to mikew99's comment that the HGI 'market' prices are particularly outrageous at this location.

There's an amazing noodle shop named Pho Thin nearby if you need a quick bite.

Can anyone that stayed here previously recommend a grocery store nearby for water, beer, etc. or are small convenience stores the best you'll get in proximity?

khkchan Apr 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Stayed at HGI Hanoi on points for 2 nights. 10k points per night.

As Gold member, was offered an upgrade room with a separate living area. Room is okay. The cleaning lady did a wonderful job taking care of even my charging wires.

Free cook to order breakfast was offered including Vietnamese noodles and eggs. The waiters deliver the cook to order food to the table.

There is one US style dryer and washer on 10th floor.

Took uber to the hotel from airport for 265k. Hotel pickup was offered at US$45 which is insane.

Uber to old quarter costs 15k and to Lotte Centre for 52k.

Overall nice stays after staying at several Vietnamese boutique hotels with varying standard.

moa999 Apr 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mster (Post 24912322)
There's an amazing noodle shop named Pho Thin nearby if you need a quick bite.
?

Agreed.
Ranked in Tripadvisor... and amazing pho.

Red259 May 24, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm going to have four nights in Hanoi. I am considering staying at this property. I have 10k points so I was considering doing one night on points and three nights on paid stay. I have gold status with Hilton. Is this property worth it over other choices in Hanoi?

ESFLYER95 May 25, 2017 1:20 am

4 Attachment(s)
Typed this up a while ago but have stayed two times more since and everything remains true. 3/3 on suite upgrades. Solid hotel.

First time at this place and must say I was suitably satisfied. A HGI is never going to blow you away but this place got little wrong. I stayed here for four nights and was upgraded to a junior suite. Nice to have a little extra room. Room was fairly standard HGI decor but bathroom was nice and large. I believe all the suites are on the 10th floor due to the way the rooms are laid out. If there was one thing that annoyed me about the room was that there was I think a smoke alarm above the bed which was had a red light constantly flashing at night and as a light sleeper was annoying. Had to put the sleeping mask on which I dislike doing.

The location of HGI is not far off were the Hilton is. It would take 10 minutes to walk with no luggage. I quite liked the area. It is certainly less touristy and plenty of good food around the place.It is still within the action of Hanoi and just either a slightly further walk or Uber/Cab ride from wherever you want to be. One thing to note is that the hotel is situated on one way street which can cause some confusion for Uber/Cab drivers and there is not such a thing as entrance to the hotel. No big sign out front and not very attractive looking from the outside.

Was given the choice between points and breakfast and took breakfast. Staff on reception were very good and always there to help when needed. There is the usual pantry just to the left of reception. Laundry is on the 10th floor. The use of the machines is free but you had to buy powder from the pantry. It wasn’t very expensive. I want to say maybe 30,000 dong for the sachet and I actually found probably no need to buy as there were lots of half used sachets in the laundry room.

Breakfast was in the ‘Garden Grille’ (I think?) and was perfectly acceptable. I was more impressed by the breakfast here than the Hilton down the road. Decent fruit, great asian and western selection, made to order eggs,waffles and pancakes and pretty good service. I must say the eggs took a while if that was one mute point.

The gym is also functional. It just off reception and pretty small but good enough to get sore and work up a sweat.

I can’t comment on room service or the restaurant during the day as was either out or dining out in the evening but they seemed to have a buffet setup with lunch that was fairly popular with business folk. There is a vinmart through the lane opposite and a little to the right. Many good local joints for food around the place and also up market places but come on this is Hanoi. Sit on a stool!

Overall, I can recommend this place. No , it is not going to be opulent but gets the job done and is a good location. I think It is also still a category two (10,000 points) and cash rates can be very reasonable.

Musta Pekka May 25, 2017 5:38 am

Stayed one night at this hotel on points. 10.000 points is a great deal considering the ratio price/quality. Got upgraded to a suite (room 1002) due to being HH Diamond member. First time ever being upgraded at an HGI hotel.

Opted for breakfast which was best ever at any HGI I have stayed at.

Staff very attentive and service minded.

Switched today to Hilton Opera. Dated room. No upgrade available. I am HH Diamond member, Sorry Sir, no upgrade available. For sure I rather stay at HGI for less than half of the price of Hilton. This is for me a non-brainer due to price/quality.

Red259 Jul 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Stayed here for four nights on points. For 10k points its an outstanding value at least with gold status. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite, so had two bathrooms, bedroom and living room. A/C was good quality and instantly cooled the room when turned on (critical in Hanoi in the summer). Had breakfast each day in the restaurant. There is a decent selection but the food is mostly meh. The vietnamese coffee with ice is outstanding though and they make good waffles. The service was very good. The batteries in the tv remote died and they sent someone up to fix it within 5 minutes late at night (I had no way of shutting the tv off and really needed to go to sleep). The phone could only be used on speaker phone. All in all though it was a very good property and I liked my room. Its not super close to the old quarter and in the summer its a a somewhat brutal walk to get there due to the extreme heat. On the flip side you are outside the old quarter so it can be a nice break from the area. There are taxis on standby at the hotel which they make sure use meters which is a nice touch.

craz Jul 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by khkchan (Post 28225169)
Stayed at HGI Hanoi on points for 2 nights. 10k points per night.

Uber to old quarter costs 15k and to Lotte Centre for 52k.

The dates Im looking at The Hilton is cheaper $$ wise but 19K more pts wise. It will for a Thurs night and then the next Tues night

I dont Uber and prefer to walk, any idea how far the old quarter is walking wise, and is The hilton that much closer ?

ESFLYER95 Jul 19, 2017 7:33 am

Technically the HGI is in the old quarter but to the heart of the action North of the lake your are looking at 20-25 minutes. Around 8-10 minutes to Hilton.

Recently I have used HGI over Hilton. Newer room, good suite upgrades, arguably better breakfast and in a place like Vietnam I don't really care for a lounge.

craz Jul 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95 (Post 28579185)
Technically the HGI is in the old quarter but to the heart of the action North of the lake your are looking at 20-25 minutes. Around 8-10 minutes to Hilton.

Recently I have used HGI over Hilton. Newer room, good suite upgrades, arguably better breakfast and in a place like Vietnam I don't really care for a lounge.

Well if The Hilton is only apx an 8 min shorter walk, and Im there for 2 single nights , I just booked the HGI. All I need is a place to sleep,shower and stash my stuff so for 10k I cant beat it, thx I too dont need a lounge or care about an upgrade since I will be using the room to sleep and shower and not hang out in

kt85 Sep 10, 2017 5:29 am

Stayed one night here on points. Agreed with posters that it is amazing value. Was upgraded to a one bedroom suite. It is On the outskirts of old quarters, but everything is just a cheap uber ride away.

Breakfast is so so. Try the amazing pho at pho thin just 200m away. Toothpaste and toothbrush are on request.

moa999 Sep 14, 2017 7:19 am

Originally Posted by kt85 (Post 28798368)
Breakfast is so so. Try the amazing pho at pho thin just 200m away. Toothpaste and toothbrush are on request.

Agreed on pho thin, which is literally 50m away... Amazing

ESFLYER95 Sep 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 28814626)
Agreed on pho thin, which is literally 50m away... Amazing

hear hear... the banh quay just makes it even better.

jerrflyer Feb 26, 2018 9:26 am

Diamond Upgraded to a 1 Bed Room Suite - Declined needed 2 beds.

FlyerTalker7654 Jan 13, 2019 9:24 am

Anyone have any recent feedback on this property?

We have a night booked at the Hilton nearby but need a room the night before....so debating on using points or just paying cash.

Also, what is the best way to get to the property if arriving late in the evening? How much did a taxi cost?

craz Jan 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan (Post 30648967)

We have a night booked at the Hilton nearby but need a room the night before....so debating on using points or just paying cash.

Also, what is the best way to get to the property if arriving late in the evening? How much did a taxi cost?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30617713-post7.html

I used pts but it depends on what the ca$h rate is. When I was there it was 10k per night that equals $50 according to HH so if the rate is < $50 all in Id pay with ca$h, > $50 pts make sense. A recent res I ended CXing was 30k in pts or $99 in cash why waste the pts another was $379 cash or 30k why pay cash

Red259 Jan 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan (Post 30648967)

Arriving where? To the airport? I arrived late at night in Hanoi and scheduled an airport transport for a four seater card for $16 to take me from airport to HGI that was in the Spring of 2017. Not sure what the fees are now but it worked well for me. https://www.hanoitransferservice.com/ This is who I used.

andymac66 Apr 21, 2019 7:12 am

Should I use points or cash? Hanoi in june

Sorry for posting but I can't get my head around the maths on this. I'm planning five nights at the Hilton Garden Inn, Hanoi which would be 40,000 points with the free night. Cash rates are pretty low though at $68 (non refundable) or $75 semi flex.

So basicly it's a choice of using 40,000 points or paying $340 (or $375 semi flex).

Which would be the best value?

Thanks!

craigthemif Apr 21, 2019 8:06 am

Honors points are roughly worth 0.5 cents. Ergo you can use $200 worth of points or $375.

Pretty straightforward decision unless you need a cash rate for some reason...

andymac66 Apr 21, 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31022286)
Honors points are roughly worth 0.5 cents. Ergo you can use $200 worth of points or $375.

Pretty straightforward decision unless you need a cash rate for some reason...

Thanks a lot Craig, points it is then. The extra flexibility will be useful as well.

italdesign Jun 7, 2019 9:51 pm

Any recommendation for cheap good massage nearby?

invalyd Jul 5, 2019 3:52 am

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 31181752)
Any recommendation for cheap good massage nearby?

I went to Orchard spa nearby. About $19 for a 75 minute hot stone massage and they take credit card.

italdesign Mar 7, 2021 1:24 am

Not seeing any availability (paid or points) after the 1st few months of 2021. Hopefully it will return.

Schwann Sep 9, 2022 7:34 am

Stayed here last week for a night. Upgraded to a suite from the base room and a super early check-in was granted for free - they seemed very low occupancy so that probably helped.

The suite was huge but is starting to be a bit dated despite being about 10 years old, although condition seemed good Thought the bathroom aged pretty well with the marble tiles and looked more modern than the rest of the room in a strange type of way!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ea73e98079.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7c1805c0ee.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c722452e95.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...dcdd67576e.jpg

Breakfast had a decent variety and was of an acceptable quality but nothing outstanding. Staff were all very nice!

Nothing wrong with the hotel but I'd probably stay elsewhere next time - Hanoi and Vietnam in general has too many far nicer boutique style hotels to warrant staying here. I stayed hoping to use my HH Diamond status to get an early check in which worked.

worldiswide Aug 9, 2023 9:03 pm

Any recent stays here. I dont expect a lot from this hotel but happy to hear specifics. We are staying in some nice properties in other parts of Vietnam, so were going to balance those with this hotel for 2 nights in January 2024.

italdesign Jan 18, 2024 8:58 am

I cannot believe they are charging 30k pts for a $99 room. Cash rate goes up 15% vs pre-Covid, award 300%. Such is the sad state of Hilton pts.

This used to be my favorite low-category hotel at 10k. I love the location. Good memories. On the plus side, this will free me from the hotel chains (pun intended) and I can finally experience boutique hotels with more character for less than half the price.

puzo15 Feb 8, 2024 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 35920346)
I cannot believe they are charging 30k pts for a $99 room. Cash rate goes up 15% vs pre-Covid, award 300%. Such is the sad state of Hilton pts.

This used to be my favorite low-category hotel at 10k. I love the location. Good memories. On the plus side, this will free me from the hotel chains (pun intended) and I can finally experience boutique hotels with more character for less than half the price.

Any alternative hotels you would recommend in Old Quarter? Thanks!