Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you stop staying at Hilton after Diamond?

Old Jun 29, 13, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P

I wonder how many of you diamonds stop staying at Hilton after getting the status. There is obvious pros and cons in either approach.

If you keep staying at Hilton, you get more bonus points, and better chance of upgrade, etc. However, Hilton stays won't carry over to the next year (like Marriott). So it's kind of wasted.

It seems better to switch my stay to Marriott, and work on getting their status as well. But meanwhile, I might have wasted the diamond benefit with Hilton.

Just wondering...
Old Jun 29, 13, 8:57 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Not even striving to retain Diamond, but will try to plan just enough stays to stay Gold. Haven't noticed any appreciable benefit of Diamond over Gold actually.

[And in any case winding down Hhonors, was hut very hard by the most recent devaluation.]
Old Jun 29, 13, 9:16 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I stay, above and beyond.
Old Jun 29, 13, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I stay above and beyond, but really it depends on the availability of hotel chains where I'm traveling. I've had a fairly decent upgrade rate as a diamond, so I prefer taking the upgrades at Hilton vs accruing on another chain at a lower level.
Old Jun 29, 13, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Why spend the time and $$ to earn status and not take full advantage of it?

We are loyal to Hilton because of the Diamond bennies - free breakfast, internet, chance at upgrades, etc.
Old Jun 29, 13, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelsg View Post
I wonder how many of you diamonds stop staying at Hilton after getting the status. There is obvious pros and cons in either approach.

If you keep staying at Hilton, you get more bonus points, and better chance of upgrade, etc. However, Hilton stays won't carry over to the next year (like Marriott). So it's kind of wasted.

It seems better to switch my stay to Marriott, and work on getting their status as well. But meanwhile, I might have wasted the diamond benefit with Hilton.

Just wondering...
I don't.
Old Jun 29, 13, 11:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's senseless to obtain status and then go stay someplace else. If you go throu all the work to get status you should take advantage of it
Old Jun 30, 13, 6:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
I used to shift some stays away from Hilton once I knew I had enough stays/nights to hit Diamond in past years, just to be sure that I would also get mid or higher tier status with 2-3 other chains as well, usually when the Hilton choice was going to cost more than an equivalent from another chain. Otherwise I would continue to stay to get the benefits as others have posted.

This year I'll probably stay far more with Hiltons for the remainder of the year and only try to maintain one other top tier status.
Old Jun 30, 13, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
Why spend the time and $$ to earn status and not take full advantage of it?

We are loyal to Hilton because of the Diamond bennies - free breakfast, internet, chance at upgrades, etc.
It makes sense to have status with multiple chains to take advantage of promotions and none of the chains have truly worldwide coverage everywhere.
Old Jun 30, 13, 6:51 am

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
My stays are heavily Hilton family. I consider trying to plan it to maintain top tier elsewhere but when it comes down to it Hilton just works best in most of my travels.
Old Jun 30, 13, 7:00 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton
What would be the point of achieving status if you don't use it? Just having the card in your wallet doesn't get you anything ...
Old Jun 30, 13, 8:30 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
My travel patterns allow status in 3 chains. I am lifetime SPG gold, so they get my extra nights enroute to lt platinum. After status reupped in HH, HGP and SPG, the extras are either SPG or promo driven
Old Jun 30, 13, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
Last year, I continued to stay after Diamond qualification. This year, after the devaluations and a close examination of how the program benefits (or doesn't) me, I'll selectively stay at Hilton properties only enough to get Diamond (I probably wouldn't even bother to do the Diamond minimum, but I'm already over half way there.) HH is by far the weakest of the programs I use in terms of benefits. Last year, I scored only 1 suite upgrade out of 40+ stays, and I find HH properties to be generally in less desirable locations and of lower quality than competitors in the places I visit. Without a doubt, Hyatt and Starwood treat me far better than HH. And even my secondary programs Marriott and IHG are usually better. Hilton has really followed the airline model in sticking it to their most loyal customers - without substantially improving the rewards.
Old Jun 30, 13, 5:31 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
As long as other chains are having good promos (stay 2x, get a night free), it's hard to remain loyal past the minimum Diamond qualifiers. We still get the benefits for our vacations, and get nice perks from other chains too.
Old Jun 30, 13, 5:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1K
I usually stop when hitting Diamond. With Marriott rolling over your extra nights, it makes more sense to stay there the last part of the year.

In general for 2014 I will probably relegate Hilton to my 3rd choice due to the devaluation. I am newly minted Plat with SPG and find they are as good as Hhonors. The only thing I miss is the double dipping

Search this Thread
Search Engine: